starters/power..what do you use?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rigged

ok...so i have a Hobbico 12v starter and a 12v battery (which i know is good & charged) that i took out of our 91 Vette. I tried startin up my cat today and it just didnt have the power to turn it over? Motor has alot of compression, but it was able to turn it over if i loosened the plug.

Anyone usin this starter with no problem on 'big' motors? :rolleyes:

With Big nitro motors you might have trouble getting started with 12 volts, especially if it's a new motor. Make sure the engine isn't loaded up with fuel when you begin starting it and there's nothing wrong with starting it with the plug loose. Just have a plug wrench handy cause the plug will loosen and pop out in a hurry.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can try running the Hobbico on 24 but I don't suggest it. They don't last too long. I use the sullivan Deluxe Hi-Tork Starter. It has lasted 10 yrs on 24v with no problems.

Mike

You can try running the Hobbico on 24 but I don't suggest it. They don't last too long. I use the sullivan Deluxe Hi-Tork Starter. It has lasted 10 yrs on 24v with no problems.

Mike
Yup, that Sullivan Hi Tork with the Speedmaster Handle on 24 volts will start a diesel truck!

You can try running the Hobbico on 24 but I don't suggest it. They don't last too long. I use the Sullivan Deluxe Hi-Tork Starter. It has lasted 10 yrs on 24v with no problems.

Mike
Yup, that Sullivan Hi Tork with the Speedmaster Handle on 24 volts will start a diesel truck!
If you plan to run the Speedmaster handle, you can buy just the motor from Sullivan for about half the cost. I purchased the Dynatron motor last year for less than $50.00 shipped.

thanks for the help guys. I went back out to the garage and hooked up another 12v car battery i had to the other one.. made that starter actually jerk in my hand :lol: Spun the motor right over and let it play music for me B)

Is there a advantage over running those gel batterys? I was thinking of using two motorcycle batterys as i can get them dirt cheap.

btw off topic, but while im here.... will i be safe running this Odonnell 10% car fuel i have as long as i keep the needle fairly rich? (i have it 3-3/4 turns out right now). K&B .67

Hi

It looks like you decided to go 24v.......

but if you want to give the old 12v another chance, try cleaning the brushes and the commutator.

this usually perks up a tired starter.

Bob the Fool :blink:

i think One big advantage of the gel cells , is that they dont spill ..like a bike battery will ...

if you know an electrician , you can find good ones in emergency lighting , alarm back-ups etc , most of them have to be changed after 1 year , but still have years of life left in them

Sullivan Dynatron @ 24v will start anything , but as someone else stated , if you have a gut full of fuel it will bend bits of some motors

After going through a bunch of other brands of starters, I got the Sullivan Model 4. I've got 2-12 volt gel cells hooked to it with only one battery hooked up to the power panel and extra banana plugs for the 24 volts on my box. It's fun cranking over .12's with 24 volts but it sure comes in handy for anything .45 and over. Now I have to get a Speedmaster starter handle as the switch sticks a lot.

The big advangage of gell cells is that they are much lighter than the wet cell. Also you don't have to worry about water levels, etc. I built a float charger for mine using scematics fron the internet (search LM317 SLA battery charger) and it works great. It works like the emergency lights power supply where it keeps them charged all the time and when I'm ready to run, the batteries are ready too.

I don't think you can do that with regular batteries as the water may dry out.

If you're using the starter switch that comes with the starter, it will stick on you after some use at 24 volts. I spent the nickel and bought the sullivan dyantron 24V starter 8 years ago and haven't looked back. I've heard that the sullivan Hi-Torque starter also runs fine on 24 volts so that might be a cheaper option. In either case you still need a replacement button. They are hard to find but I found a starter button at NAPA with the rubber boot on it (manly looking thing) was the only locally available one to work for me. I tried pep boys booted starter button and it started sticking after a while. Same with Autozone. The button I hve had a rubber boot that screws over it and the button under it is a black rod about 1/2" diamater, in a olive drab painted body. Looks military.

Last edited by a moderator:
With gells you can also mount them in any direction with out worry of the electrolite spilling. A starter switch used on tenneant sweepers owrks great it is rated for 24 volts and 100 amps and only cost about $7. Never sticks.

alright i supose ill be buying a couple of them batterys someone linked. Is there a specific charger im going to need for these?

also... any help on that fuel question? I dont want to hurt the motor if the "car" blend 10% isnt good for it.

Rigged, I am running Model technics fuel at 40% nitro, some of the guys here also run sidewinder (car fuel) at 25-30%, and we also sometimes use 30% cool power heli fuel. So far no problems, I think the main thing to watch for is that your fuel has sufficient lubrication, as per the engine requirements.

Have fun

Back