starter box wiring

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick Sowell

this has probably been posted but a search did not come up with anything, I need a wiring diagram for 12/24 volt starter box with inboard and outboard switch. I am going to upgrade an old box and need some ideas. thanks, Rick

this has probably been posted but a search did not come up with anything, I need a wiring diagram for 12/24 volt starter box with inboard and outboard switch. I am going to upgrade an old box and need some ideas. thanks, Rick
Are you looking to run both 12/24 off the same box ?

Seems to me there was a thread here not long ago on the same subject.

Someone gave me this a while back:

wiring.JPG

Just wire the batteries in series with a center tap for 12V and your done. Don't know what the switches and relays are all about. +___-+___-

| | |

| | |

24V 12V 24V

I also add a 200 amp solenoid in series with one starter wire and control it's coil with 12 volts from the starter switch(tapped into a single battery for power)that way your starter switch is only being used at low milliamp draw and will last forever.

Last edited by a moderator:

wiring.JPG
Thanks Terry, does this give you 12 and 24 volts or just Inboard and outboard at 24 volts?

Gives 12 or 24 volts. Top 2 pairs of contacts will put the batteries in series and give 24v, bottom pairs will parallel them and give 12v.

It works, just don't get me to do it, I let the magic smoke out, remember? :lol:

Terry that 12/24 volt is actually better than the drawing I showed if you plan to run it on 12 volts often. Mine is not parrelleling the two batteries in 12 volt mode but rather pulling off one battery. My starter box is acually only wired for 24 volt to the starter through the 200 amp solenoid and I use a reversable plug to change rotation as there aren't really many switches designed for the kind of amps a starter can draw. With the solenoid it is a bullet proof setup. I then have the power panel wired to only one of the batteries. I run two lawn tractor batteries side by side in a marine battery box they drop right in and are tight. They only need charging every 3-4 months.

wiring.JPG
Thanks Terry, does this give you 12 and 24 volts or just Inboard and outboard at 24 volts?

Gives 12 or 24 volts. Top 2 pairs of contacts will put the batteries in series and give 24v, bottom pairs will parallel them and give 12v.

It works, just don't get me to do it, I let the magic smoke out, remember? :lol:
True,if you could connect as per drawing BUT problem is the common of the switch (centre 2 contacts) should be connected to the output as this is common to both 24V/12V operations. This will render the circuit useless as the output will be shorted in one throw of the switch, and 0Volts on the other throw. Unless you can get a switch configured as per drawing ie common on bottom 2 contacts

Gino

I drew that mess LOL It will work your just switching the postive and neg and the end of each battery.When switched to 24 volt its just making the connection between the two batteries.When switched to 12 just combining pos to pos and the neg to neg.Real simple stuff.

wiring.JPG

True,if you could connect as per drawing BUT problem is the common of the switch (centre 2 contacts) should be connected to the output as this is common to both 24V/12V operations. This will render the circuit useless as the output will be shorted in one throw of the switch, and 0Volts on the other throw. Unless you can get a switch configured as per drawing ie common on bottom 2 contacts

Gino
Gino, go over the drawing again as it would work perfectly with the centers as commons. 12 volts with both batteries in parrallel in one position and both in series for 24 volts in the other position.

My drawing stinks I know,

2va15b7.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, Terry and Daniel, both of those drawings help alot, I should be able to get it working now, we need to sticky some of these things to the top so it is available, I would guess this topic comes up alot with new boaters. Thanks again Rick

I kept mine simple as I'm no Einstein when it comes to electrical stuff. I wired up a pair of female banana plugs on the top of my starter box for 24 volts then run 12 volts off a power panel. Swapping the wires around is easier then wiring up a switch to me but that's because I'm an electrical idiot. :blink: Yes, I have tried to start OB's with the starter wiring reversed. That's what happens when you run both IB's and OB's the same day.

A second DPDT switch can accomated the reverse rotation, if you prefer a polarized plug setup. Most folks just reverse the plug. I use alligator clamps and a couple of screw posts for the starter.

Is it o.k to start an o.s. outboard with 24 volts? What about the small .12 motors? I just converted over to 24 volts and like it so far.

Thanks.

Craig: be careful with 24 on the small motors, I broke a crank this weekend using 24 on a 18 motor, snapped the crank pin, thats why I am trying to get the box rewired to do 12 and 24. Rick

Back