Starter belt woes....

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SKCS

Well the never ending saga of what to do next....

I have an OPS 90 in a deep vee that is a booger to start. The clamp that I have on the exhaust boot is in the way of starting the engine. I can move it very little to make it so the belt doesn't rub the clamp, but when it is a one person starting crew it is sometimes rough.

Also, when starting the motor, the glow plug starter is bumped. Really dont want to break off the glow plug.

Still breaking in and testing on the stand, so I am learning by trial and error. Any suggestions from the experienced crews?

:blink:

SKCS said:
I have an OPS 90 in a deep vee that is a booger to start.  The clamp that I have on the exhaust boot is in the way of starting the engine.  I can move it very little to make it so the belt doesn't rub the clamp, but when it is a one person starting crew it is sometimes rough.

Also, when starting the motor, the glow plug starter is bumped.  Really dont want to break off the glow plug. 

Still breaking in and testing on the stand, so I am learning by trial and error.  Any suggestions from the experienced crews?

108711[/snapback]

Hey, dont get to frustrated. Even us old timers, need help once in a while. Could you use a cable tie on the pipe coupler? The motor pool should have some. Maybe a longer start belt will clear the igniter? Maybe try and lite off that big OPS with the plug a tad loose will help. Richard D.

Richard Dahlheimer said:
SKCS said:
I have an OPS 90 in a deep vee that is a booger to start.  The clamp that I have on the exhaust boot is in the way of starting the engine.  I can move it very little to make it so the belt doesn't rub the clamp, but when it is a one person starting crew it is sometimes rough.

Also, when starting the motor, the glow plug starter is bumped.  Really dont want to break off the glow plug. 

Still breaking in and testing on the stand, so I am learning by trial and error.  Any suggestions from the experienced crews?

108711[/snapback]

Hey, dont get to frustrated. Even us old timers, need help once in a while. Could you use a cable tie on the pipe coupler? The motor pool should have some. Maybe a longer start belt will clear the igniter? Maybe try and lite off that big OPS with the plug a tad loose will help. Richard D.

108712[/snapback]

I thought of one more thing... If you can find a sewing machine shop, they should have belts, that you can use for your starting. Richard D.

Like Rich said.

Also, it will not hurt anything if the belt rubs but I don't know your particular situation. Most of mine rub the coupler and a pushrod.

SKCS said:

108711[/snapback]

Yup, have the same problem with the belt rubbing the coupler of the OPS 90 in my cat. Like Preston said, haven't had a problem yet with it rubbing the coupler. I'm thinking of try to move the starter belt to the side of the coupler instead of over it.

As stated by RichardD, loosing out the plug a bit makes starting a lot easier.

-MikeL

One thing you can do if you have the needle close is the dump the excess fuel out of the pipe (pinch the vent line) and turn the engine over with the plug out. We call this "fogging" the engine because of the fuel fog that comes out the plug hole. Put the plug back in (don't be suprised of you get a pop when you put the plug igniter on) and it should pop right off on the first bump.

Watch your eyes while fogging becaus fuel flies everywhere. I use a rag to cover the head.

Also if your a bit rich, pinch the carb fuel line until the fog stops coming out the plug hole. Then try it.

good luck

I have an OPS 90 in a deep vee that is a booger to start. The clamp that I have on the exhaust boot is in the way of starting the engine. I can move it very little to make it so the belt doesn't rub the clamp, but when it is a one person starting crew it is sometimes rough.

Also, when starting the motor, the glow plug starter is bumped. Really dont want to break off the glow plug.

Still breaking in and testing on the stand, so I am learning by trial and error. Any suggestions from the experienced crews?

Please don't laugh but I use rope starting for my .45 and .67. Oil and water inevitably get on the starter belt and flywheel and it would just slip regardless of the torque of your starter motor. (I do use starter motor for .21 and outboards.

It takes practice for rope starting and the key is not to pull the rope against compression. Rather, rock it back and forth and then snap it in the opposite direction. If the engine has good compression, it would usually kick back and fire in the right direction. Although some engine would start easier if pulled in the forward direction.

Back in the 70's before we had starter motor, rope starting was all we used.

Kez

I raced with a guy from Japan back at the 99 namba nats. He still used the rope starting method for his a hydro. He had it down pat. He had it started and ready to go with a min. left in mill time. Much easier to pack a piece of rope than a starter and battery on the plane.

Mike

I raced with a guy from Japan back at the 99 namba nats. He still used the rope starting method for his a hydro. He had it down pat. He had it started and ready to go with a min. left in mill time. Much easier to pack a piece of rope than a starter and battery on the plane.

Mike

Mike, I remember that as well. He was very good at rope starting.

Ron

Back