Home made starter belt

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kez

My starter belts keep getting melted when they touch the tuned pipe and I forgot to order more. Needed a belt this weekend. I have some nylon cords laying around. So I made one by melting the ends. It is strong enough to start a .45. Will report on the longevity. In a pinch, it will work.

Attachments

• IMG_0236.jpg
    IMG_0236.jpg
    490.9 KB · Views: 2
The splice reminds me of how most modern underground natural gas pipelines are all plastic now and how they splice/weld them. They square up the ends and a tool lines up the two ends that allows them to be held square and it opens and closes the gap in between the ends. Then they insert a electrically heated disc and bring ends against the disc until melted and the disc is pulled out and the ends jammed into each other and held until cooled. That is the weld. 65 psi on them. They say the weld rivals the strength of the pipe itself.

We used to use leather or rope and take about a 3 foot piece with a handle at each end. One was done quick release to get end under flywheel. Then it is brought up taught and used to spin flywheel and fire up the engine.

Last edited:
My starter belts keep getting melted when they touch the tuned pipe and I forgot to order more. Needed a belt this weekend. I have some nylon cords laying around. So I made one by melting the ends. It is strong enough to start a .45. Will report on the longevity. In a pinch, it will work.
How about a picture of the hull and engine you keep melting the belts on. I’ve never had that happen.

Like I've said before....you have to "train" them...give the belt a little twist and they roll into a coil.... store them like this.

Once you start the boat, they will almost snap back into a coil again by themselves...
If not, apply the twist and it will roll right up.

Or, leave a water line loose and lay the belt back over the head and then put the hose on to hold it away from the header..

How about a picture of the hull and engine you keep melting the belts on. I’ve never had that happen.
Hi John,
It is a Mutt. I bought the shell from an IW member 15 years ago and it took me about that long to finally finished it. If the belt touched the pipe like the picture showed, the belt will melt. I had a new belt the last time I ran the boat and it lasted one run.
Thanks,
k
1658095080181.jpeg

Like I've said before....you have to "train" them...give the belt a little twist and they roll into a coil.... store them like this.

Once you start the boat, they will almost snap back into a coil again by themselves...
If not, apply the twist and it will roll right up.

Or, leave a water line loose and lay the belt back over the head and then put the hose on to hold it away from the header..
Hi Frank,
The belt actually tends to coil up. When it does, and if I pulled it away from the flywheel, it will touch the pipe. If the nylon cord starter belt works well, I think it can withstand the heat of the pipe.
Thanks,
k

The splice reminds me of how most modern underground natural gas pipelines are all plastic no and how they splice/weld them. They square up the ends and a tool lines up the two ends that allows them to be held square and it opens and closes the gap in between the ends. Then they insert a electrically heated disc and bring ends against the disc until melted and the disc is pulled out and the ends jammed into each other and held until cooled. That is the weld. 65 psi on them. They say the weld rivals the strength of the pipe itself.

We used to use leather or rope and take about a 3 foot piece with a handle at each end. One was done quick release to get end under flywheel. Then it is brought up taught and used to spin flywheel and fire up the engine.
Hi Daniel,
I actually prefer rope starting the engine because there is no belt to get in the way of the push rods and the flywheel, cable nut etc. But it is a two-man job. One person needs to hold the boat to the stand while the other pull the cord.
Thanks,
k

Using the shortest belt possible for your type of boat helps too... less belt means less area, smaller coils when it rolls up.

That helps keep it away from the pipe..
But I understand that some combinations
demand a longer belt to get the starter in place...

Sometimes you can't have the belt around the pipe and pull straight up... you can try setting it up to pull sideways,, around the collet only.
My 20 mono is like that...too much stuff in the way to get a clean straight up pull.
I bet that belt is 15+ years old!!

I do notice that that one belt is a shade narrower and is a darker color with a lot of
cords in it.. I have no idea where or when I got it..it came with the boat, and the belt looks like it may have been sanded to reduce the width.. its old, oil soaked, has thrown a cord to two out of it, but it works perfect...I'm sure it will snap one day!!

What would be cool is if someone invented a quick connect belt, like the ones they sell for cars.. adjustable, quick connect links.
Will get you off the side of the road in a pinch...but not serp belts,,, that's a whole 'nother can of worms.

Hi John,
It is a Mutt. I bought the shell from an IW member 15 years ago and it took me about that long to finally finished it. If the belt touched the pipe like the picture showed, the belt will melt. I had a new belt the last time I ran the boat and it lasted one run.
Thanks,
k
View attachment 306912
Simple fix.
Remove the inlet cooling line from the exhaust cooling before starting. Once started put the belt over, in front of the cylinder, reattach that cooling line, put cowling on, problem solved.

Hi John,
Thanks,
k
View attachment 306912
I might try a longer belt and flop it the other way over the carb and lay under the flex shaft at the stuffing box.

Thanks guys. I will lay the belt over the engine side as you all suggested. It will mean undoing the water line after starting the engine. A small inconvenience to keep the belt from getting burned

Thanks,
k

Back