Square drive flex shafts

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjacobsen71

A quick question for people running square drive flex shafts, wondering if people are tinning the square portion with somthing like sta-bright silver solder, or if that is even necessary with this type of flex shaft. Also what are people using to attach the ferrel to the shaft, been considering using the Loctite method, but unsure of which to use, seems there are a lot of options for retaining compounds. This is on both a .91 semi sub surface drive, and also a .91 rigger. I've heard a lot of the gas guys use this method so it should handle the torque as long as it is properly done?

I have never tinned the square end.I used acid core solder on the ferrel with a little acid flux.Solder you use on auto radiator repair.It works easy for me.

I do not tin the flex shaft end.

I use silver solder to attach the flex cable to the ferrule. During soldering, insert an aluminum prop shaft into the other end of the ferrule to keep solder from clogging the prop side of the ferrule. The silver solder will not attach to aluminum.

Remember to heat the part of the ferrule where you want the solder to draw into. I use a butane or propane torch. The easy way to go is buy a silver solder package from your hobby shop that includes the correct flux.

Back