Spraying Epoxy Paint?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good info. Since this thread is about epoxy paints, I figured it would be ok to ask this question here. Keep it all together as such.

Going to be shooting some clear Klass Coat and was wondering on the average of how many minutes I should wait before a second coat? I hope to get it "Done in one", but I think it might need another.

I have the shop up to about 70 deg F.

Thanks for any help.
I would give the part a lite coat or two then 15 -30 min should be ok to give it a heavier coat to get a high gloss, just look out for runs keep the gun moving and wet it out as much as possible. With the epoxys what gloss you get is it, they dont polish to a high gloss.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's some info from my KlassKote instructions

30-40 minute reaction time before applying except for white primer #420 fast

20 minute flash off between coats

Recoat / Topcoat window 2 - 24 hours depending on film thickness.

Well, The Klass Coat clear went on good. I went with a 40 min induction with a 20 min wait in between coats. I mixed up waay to much product though for a HVLP gun, but the way I seen it it was my first time with a HVLP gun and I would have rather had to much than not enough. I have used a convectional pressurized spray gun,,so I was thinking along those lines as far as quantity.

I used 5 oz of the gloss catalyst, 5 oz of the resin and 3 oz of the #500 reducer mixed in after the induction time. Once I got a nice pattern out of the gun, it laid on very nice. 2 coats on the boat. I had 5 oz of product left over after coating my boat stand with 2 coats. 25 PSI at the gun air inlet with the trigger pulled. 72-75° consistent painting/drying temp. About 30-40% humidity as per my old swing gauge. 1.4 mm tip Home Depot/Husky Green ring HVLP gun.

I painted the boat with Top Flite Lustercoat primer and color and let it sit for about a month before clear coating with the Klass Coat clear. So far so good,, no paint lift,,and rock hard.

My apologies to the OP for posting my results, but I thought it might be useful to someone in the future .

Latest posts

Back