Sport Tunnels at the 2005 Internats

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Sport / Stock 3.5cc rules (what ever you want to call them) have to be refined and smiplified in order for them to promote the class long term. Otherwise, there will be big problems down the road.

We all know that the intent of the stock/sport class is to maintain a level performance field mainly for new boaters.

But for now, lets keep in mind that these new boaters are watching how we address these problems. We do have to abide by what ever rules we have set forth for all of us to follow. I am sure that Grim will treat everone fair and he will also do his best to make sure that this class is as close to the current rules as possible.

A good close matched stock class is always fun to drive in or watch!

My .02 worth,

-Carl,

Mike,

I understand what you are trying to do with this thread !!!!

You are trying to head off the problems of the last Nat's, before someone drives 300-500-700+ miles and finds out that they are not legal !!!!!!!!!!! Per the rules as they are written !!!!!!!

There is serious IMPBA business being conducted here to cure the headaches in advance !!!!!!!!

Let the IMPBA OUTBOARD DIRECTOR tell you what will and will not be allowed !!!!!!

:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
VansRacing said:
The Sport / Stock 3.5cc rules (what ever you want to call them) have to be refined and smiplified in order for them to promote the class long term. Otherwise, there will be big problems down the road.
We all know that the intent of the stock/sport class is to maintain a level performance field mainly for new boaters.

But for now, lets keep in mind that these new boaters are watching how we address these problems. We do have to abide by what ever rules we have set forth for all of us to follow. I am sure that Grim will treat everone fair and he  will also do his best to make sure that this class is as close to the current rules as possible.     

A good close matched  stock class is always fun to drive in or watch!

My .02 worth,

-Carl,

98043[/snapback]

Carl,

Thanks for chiming in.. You mostly right. We do need to make sure we stay focused on what is important in the class. The largest hurdle that i see with this class is the amount of knowledge it takes to know what is and is not a motor in a production series. However let me state the intent of the class...

The impba Sport Tunnel Class is a fun, bragging rights class for the seasoned racer using limited power, and has nothing to do with bringing in new racers to the organization. If it does that is great but that was never its intent.. I spent hours finding out from the originators of the class as to what this classes intent was. Taking on the duties on IMPBAs OBD i felt it important to understand this.

As for IMPBAs sport tunnel rules i feel they are about as good a set of rules we could hope for. Stock appearing on the outside (true, subjective to the amount of knowledge one might have) and a go-no-go measurement system... Quick, simple and easy.

Im going to do my best to make sure that everybody has a good time. Will stuff fall through the cracks?.. not if i can help it. Im going to do my best to make sure we have a fun and fast race in 2005.

SPORT TUNNELS RULE.. :D

Grimracer

97971[/snapback]

Hey Grim what if I wanted to run a sport boat what do I need to do?Always a rabbit in the hat.

97984[/snapback]

Ron,

Hope you are well,

The IMPBA sport tunnel class is alot of fun.. Here is what you do.. You borrow a boat from Mike Rushing like Mike Talley did in 99 and proceed to blow everybody out of the water.. hehehe :D

No real tricks at all.. just buy and bolt on a motor and get it tuned. I thought that the K+B SS that i ran last year was about the best running, fastest out of the box motor i have ever run. It was easy on plugs and made gobs of power. Cheap too.. The old water cooled motor takes a bit of handy work to get to go fast but the SS is fast out of the box. I have not run an SX yet so i have no opinion about the new motor. As for the OS...i have never ran one of those either so you might want to ask a few guys that do about what they need to do to get that thing to pump air.

Regards and hope to see your name on the roster.

Grimracer

As an FYI and because we are talking sport tunnel here..

Any chance for the talked about Irwin OB to run at the 2005 International regatta has expired. The date that the motor would have had to make production and approval would have been the 24th of April. Sorry. :( In deed we are all looking forward to seeing the new motor.

Grimracer

Precision Boats said:
Here we go again.

Lets see if you have a SX and brake the lower unit all you can get is a SS lower foot the last time I checked at K&B. Maybe they have made some more SX foots. No sure.

You guys are making this a big issue because it should be a stock outboard motor class not a sport class. How far is sport? Once it starts where does it end. Sport mod. with a short pipe????? :(

How can a new boater get into this class if we allow all these mods to happen to the engines and he buys a stock motor and gets blowed away. He wil probably get disapointed.

The hobby is having enough problems getting new comers.

Just my .02 The best way to pass inspection is to keep it on the trailer. We will not run Sport this year at the internats. To many troubles. :p

Tim

97993[/snapback]

Tim, thanks for your input.. as you perceive the class to be, i can see why you feel this way. If it was a beginners class (it is not) it would be a bad place to get a new boater racing.

Good racing and hope to see your name on the roster.

Grim

Mike,

Regardless of what people think the initial intent of this class is or was, the 3.5cc Sport class rules need to be kept as simple as possible. The K&B series parts issue is going to be the spark for debate. I feel that policing these issues will prove to require alot of effort on your part and I don't want to see you get discouraged. We need as many people like yourself as we can find in this hobby.

We will compete in the 2005 IMPBA Nationals, 3.5cc Sport class with completely compliant O/S Sport O/B engines so there shouldn't be any tech issues with our team what so ever.

Hang in there Grim!

Carl,

VansRacing said:
Mike,
Regardless of what people think the initial intent of this class is or was, the 3.5cc Sport class rules need to be kept as simple as possible. The K&B series parts issue is going to be the spark for debate. I feel that policing these issues will prove to require alot of effort on your part and I don't want to see you get discouraged. We need as many people like yourself as we can find in this hobby.

We will compete in the 2005 IMPBA Nationals, 3.5cc Sport class with completely compliant O/S Sport O/B engines so there shouldn't be any tech issues with our team what so ever.

Hang in there Grim!

Carl,

98085[/snapback]

Carl,

Thanks man.. Like you stated keeping the K+B parts in order is going to be the tough part.. thanks for your compliance.

So on this note im going to ask each and every one of you that are racing sport tunnel at the 2005 Internats to please be considerate of the other racers and do your home work to get your boat passed inspection. If rules do not state that you can make a particular change you just might want to avoid heading that direction. Just common since.

Yours truly, The IMPBA Sport Tunnel Barn Boss.. Michael "Grimracer" Zaborowski.. Kidding... :D

Hea.. somebody has to keep the animals in check...hehehe.. KIDDING.. :p :D

If I could be a critter I would want to be a butterfly…flutter…flutter.. flutter… OOOOOOOOOO Noooooooo fricking TRUCK…………..

Grimracer

Mike,

I understand what you are trying to do with this post and this is the right thing to do. Fix the problems asap. I also understand we need not keep going on this thread maybe move it somewhere else.

Mike if the stock class is not a beginners class, then where does a new racer start that wants to run outboards for the first time?

Further more what class should he start in?

If we don't grow the Hobby we won't have to worry about these post in the future.

PB builds many,many outboard motors and answers alot of new boaters questions daily. And all the new outboard boaters I talk to start in the stock outboard class.

keep up with the good work...

Tim :D

Precision Boats said:
Mike,
I understand what you are trying to do with this post and this is the right thing to do. Fix the problems asap. I also understand we need not keep going on this thread maybe move it somewhere else.

Mike if the stock class is not a beginners class, then where does a new racer start that wants to run outboards for the first time?

Further more what class should he start in?

If we don't grow the Hobby we won't have to worry about these post in the future.

PB builds many,many outboard motors and answers alot of new boaters questions daily. And all the new outboard boaters I talk to start in the stock outboard class.

keep up with the good work...

Tim :D

98088[/snapback]

Thanks Tim,

Thanks for the support and we are looking forward to racing with you guys again.

As for the question if the Sport tunnel class is not a beginners class what is.. ??? Tim, I will be honest with you.. I do not know.. im thinking its not one class of hull at all... maybe the combination of many? maybe its the little bud boats? I just do not know..

From the time i took on the job as IMPBA OBD this question keeps popping up at me? Maybe it is tunnels? Im just not sure.

One thing about racing is that its just that.. racing.. its not knitting and its not book reading.. its racing.. I am trying to beat you. You are trying to beat me.. its the nature of the contest.. its the nature of the event. Tying to get anybody new to understand that they need to accept the possibility of failure (there is only one winner) is a hard thing to do..

I have raced many, many forms of miniature motor sports and its the same story time after time..

Slot cars, RC buggies both gas and electric, Table top truck pulling and all the others.. its the same thing.. Many will lose and only one will win..

If you are a true competitor its the chase that drives you.. and.. win or loose its a good time. You take what you have learned (thanks Mike Talley and Mike rushing for handing my but to me in 99 also Todd Tribbit, this was one great racer) and you focus.. its the nature of the competitive person..

I have been accused of cheating in some way time and time again, event after event racing my Sport tunnel.. What they do not understand its not the motor that is winning the event, its the drive to succeed, the hours of testing and the commitment to WIN.. you have to have that drive to step up to the plate..

Good luck to all. Its going to be a great 2005

Grimracer

Grimracer

ok!

i get the picuture i know now what i am up against! now i can do this right , i can take my modified ss put it back on the origanal ss lower unit and pipe and be legal right!i'll just be change my power head and lower units and tune pipe back to the origainal pipe that came with motor(round muffler) around from two differance boats one being modified one being stock and still being able to run two differance classes. now i seen this at a gran prix that i attended and raced at. the sport boats were also running in the b -class so i dont see anything wrong with me doing this.

allen

hey grim,

by the way my mod.k&b lawless works great on your villian i will be sending you some pic. soon!!!!!!!!

allen

Mike,

If you need any go, no -go gages let us know we will be glad to build them or help out in inspection before the race in anyway we can. look forward to seeing all at the nats!!!!!

go hard turn right :p

Tim

Precision Boats said:
Mike,
If you need any go, no -go gages let us know we will be glad to build them or help out in inspection before the race in anyway we can. look forward to seeing all at the nats!!!!!

go hard turn right  :p

Tim

98098[/snapback]

Allen,

If you get the chance sign up for the sport tunnel class.. it sounds like you have the idea and we will do all we can to get you informed so you can pass inspection.

Tim,

Rod G has already offerd to build me a set of gauges. Im going to hold you to your help offer if we need it. Thanks..

LETS ROCK

Grimracer

Just say the word. We would be glad to..... :D

Josh is inspector #12 that you always get in you new underwear package. LOL HAHAHA :D

Who said that!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:ph34r: :ph34r:

Precision Boats said:
Just say the word.  We would be glad to..... :D
Josh is inspector #12 that you always get in you new underwear package. LOL HAHAHA :D

Who said that!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:ph34r:   :ph34r:

98101[/snapback]

Golly.. i did not get his tag in that last Thong i bought for myself.. :blink: :D maybe he was sleeping on the job.. :huh: :D

Here is flossing at ya... :D :D :D

Grimracer

Grimracer said:
97971[/snapback]

Hey Grim what if I wanted to run a sport boat what do I need to do?Always a rabbit in the hat.

97984[/snapback]

Ron,

Hope you are well,

The IMPBA sport tunnel class is alot of fun.. Here is what you do.. You borrow a boat from Mike Rushing like Mike Talley did in 99 and proceed to blow everybody out of the water.. hehehe :D

No real tricks at all.. just buy and bolt on a motor and get it tuned. I thought that the K+B SS that i ran last year was about the best running, fastest out of the box motor i have ever run. It was easy on plugs and made gobs of power. Cheap too.. The old water cooled motor takes a bit of handy work to get to go fast but the SS is fast out of the box. I have not run an SX yet so i have no opinion about the new motor. As for the OS...i have never ran one of those either so you might want to ask a few guys that do about what they need to do to get that thing to pump air.

Regards and hope to see your name on the roster.

Grimracer

98076[/snapback]

Hey Grim I was just kidding ya I wont be able to have a sport boat ready

for this event. I am working to hard on new engins and new concepts for the

20 mod and 40 mod classes for the event. I think we have come up with a great combo for the 20 mod set up with a new engine we will be trying soon.

Hope you and family are doing great and take care. Ron Drake

Grimracer said:
As for the question if the Sport tunnel class is not a beginners class what is.. ??? Tim, I will be honest with you.. I do not know.. im thinking its not one class of hull at all... maybe the combination of many? maybe its the little bud boats? I just do not know..
Since I knew I would not get to go to the internats, I had not taken the time to read this thread till now. Glad I did, it's an interesting discussion. I'll throw in my 2 cents. I think something like sport tunnel is a good beginner class. Tunnels are easy to build, and with some help from an old timer, can be made to run pretty well fairly quickly. I think sport hydros could be good transition classes to help beginners advance to other classes. Unfortunately, loosely worded rules allow so much wiggle room that the beginner who shows up with a moderately priced stock motor will have a tough time competing against people who spend huge sums for high end motors and those who sneak in extra mods.

Beginner, and casual racer (perhaps sport), classes should be about learning skills, not outspending the other guy. People in these classes should be able to compete against the other person's driving and setup abilities, not their wallets. I've said this in other threads, but if the sport wants to attract and keep more people, classes need to be established to allow people who are not interested in spending $400 on a .21 inboard engine. Put $ limits (rather than loosely worded descriptions of stock engines) on engines in these classes so that the cost of getting started, or growing into new classes, is not so high. In addition to having these classes in the rule books, experienced people need to agree to keep running boats in these classes (and resist the temptation to "tweak" their engines) so beginners have someone to race against.

One of the ways to deal with people who would modify engines is the buy out clause common in other types of competition. I realize that the sport tunnel rules already have such a thing, called the "Engine claim procedure". However, it has limited value because the cost of "claiming" an engine is 25% over manufacturer's suggested retail price. Changing this to something like $20 (amount chosen for discussion sake) over the real retail price (the price one would typically pay) would be a much stronger disincentive to prevent people inclined to making internal mods. For example, the current claim price for a K&B SS would be $406.25 ($325 + 25%). This is $146.25 more than the cost of this engine. A person who wants to sneak in a few mods can feel pretty comfortable with this amount. Change the claim price to $280 ($260 + $20) and there's much more risk of losing money for anyone who tweaks an engine. Will this stop everyone who is so inclined? Probably not, but it certainly would reduce the number.

This is just my opinion. If the organizing bodies are serious about attracting, and retaining new people, establish 3 or 4 beginner and casual racer classes that encourage reasonably priced stock motors. At the local level, clubs need to recognize that these classes attract new people and keep them viable.

How can a new boater get into this class if we allow all these mods to happen to the engines and he buys a stock motor and gets blowed away. He wil probably get disapointed.
Another thing you have to consider is this (and I'm not slamming Tim here, just quoting to illustrate a point).

I seriously doubt that the top tunnel pilots of today got their start by winning the first race they entered and saying "Hey, that was easy....I think I'll keep doing it!"

They had to start somewhere too. And probably got their butts handed to them in the beginning. What made them today's champions is that drive that Mike was talking about. I can imagine statements like, "Well, I lost. But I had FUN. Now, what did I learn and how can I apply it to the next race?" or "Man that guy was fast! I think I'll go over to his table and pick his brain."

Yes there will be dissapointments. That's life. And it's definitely the nature of the beast called competition. What you do with that dissapointment is what determines your eventual outcome.

Thomas Edison was questioned about his thousands of 'failures' before the first successful lightbulb was invented. He said he didn't consider them failures...he simply found thousands of ways how NOT to make a lightbulb.

Gee......that was deep! :huh:

Propjockey said:
Another thing you have to consider is this (and I'm not slamming Tim here, just quoting to illustrate a point).
I seriously doubt that the top tunnel pilots of today got their start by winning the first race they entered and saying "Hey, that was easy....I think I'll keep doing it!"
Not trying to flame, but was this discussion about how to attract more top racers, or how to attract more racers?

They had to start somewhere too. And probably got their butts handed to them in the beginning. What made them today's champions is that drive that Mike was talking about. I can imagine statements like, "Well, I lost. But I had FUN. Now, what did I learn and how can I apply it to the next race?" or "Man that guy was fast! I think I'll go over to his table and pick his brain."
Probably true. And this is probably what Joe Sixpack does when he first starts too. However, the ones who scrimped and saved to be able to spend $400-600 to get started in the hobby are going to be really put off when they discover that the other guy is running a $250 hull and a $450 engine. Those who can afford it, and are willing to spend, may eventually decide to match the $ spent.

However, the average Joe is very likely to say to himself: "Self, this is for the birds. All the setup in the world isn't going to let me be competitive against this guy's premium hardware. I've got house payments, car payments, and the kid's birthday is soon. There's no way I can tell my wife that I'm going to spend hundreds of $ more so I can compete with that guy, I'm outta here." Six months later, there's another second hand boat setup on eBay. :( OTOH, if Joe finds out that the guy is running the same engine and hull (or at least in the same $ class) he's likely to think: "Wow, I'm alot slower, but it's ok because I'm new. I've got the same stuff, I sure hope this guy will help me learn how to go faster." And with this another R/C friendship is born! :)

Yes there will be dissapointments. That's life. And it's definitely the nature of the beast called competition. What you do with that dissapointment is what determines your eventual outcome.
The point is that it's very possible to put rules in place to level the $ part of the competition, and make it about setup and driving skills rather than expensive engines and lots of mods. If there are going to be disappointments, let them be because the person needs more experience rather than because he can't afford the best hardware. The experienced people can really help this sport grow by endorsing, and participating in, classes that limit the initial investment. There are plenty of classes where these experienced people can satisfy their need for spending big $, endless engine tweaking, and blazing speeds.

Back