Sport Tunnels at the 2005 Internats

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bzubee said:
Hey Mike I like your nick name for some of the K&B engines "floor sweep engines".
That's a good one!

97947[/snapback]

Bill,

We have our good racing friend Gary Preusse to thank for that one.. I was at a race last year and he made that statement.. I thought. you know.. he is quite right.. im sure that some place along the way they found a head button or something on the floor and it made it to a motor.. hehehe

Bottom line.. this is going to be a great race.

Bill, Am I going to be able to count you in for a run at Sport Tunnel this year? I hope so.

Grim

Grim...are you saying that I can't put a watercooled head on my SS engine? The new SS engine has the same muffler as the SX.

Re: water cooled SX head on SS.

Seems like to be in compliance with the rule(as produced by the manufacturer), you would need to run the lower unit that comes with the SX since it is different than the lower unit for the SS.

Not sure why I'm addressing this question. Well, it's either write something or go out and finish trimming the hedge in the side yard. My wife just reminded me I was finished with that project :angry: !!

JD

krpnova said:
Grim...are you saying that I can't put a watercooled head on my SS engine? The new SS engine has the same muffler as the SX.
97953[/snapback]

Bob,

Well lets see,.. if you put on the black flywheel, muffler, and lower unit.. and make sure that the muffler adaptor does not have a hole in it I do not see why you might not slip that by.. then again why.. its as good as an SX at that point so no need to push the rules. :D

If you do not know the rules at this time or are confused in any way im hoping that we can help you out at this years Internats. Before actually as that is the reason for this post..

Good boating

grim

Grimracer said:
VansRacing said:
Grim,
A couple of my guys from my club are going to run Sport 3.5cc but they are not web users. What do they need to know?

Carl,

97329[/snapback]

Carl,

I have taken on, with the blessing of the 2005 Internats CD, pre-race inspection of the hulls and motors. I would like to have the Name and address of each of the racers. I plan on sending a copy of the Sport tunnel rules (BY MAIL) to each of the competitors before the race date.

I would like to send them out as soon as registration closes.

What if I wanted to run one what do I need to do grim? always a rabbit in the hat.

ALSO:

Sport Racers,

By reading this post, please, if you are running a B class sport tunnel at the IMPBA internats in 2005 please send me (grimracer) your Name and Address (you can have a buddy do this for you if need be)

If you need to send it post.. send it to..

Grimracer

3404 Anderson Drive

Eau Claire WI 54703

Otherwise email as stated in the above post.

Kind Regards and thank you Carl

Grim

97334[/snapback]

Grimracer said:
krpnova said:
97953[/snapback]

Bob,

Well lets see,.. if you put on the black flywheel, muffler, and lower unit.. and make sure that the muffler adaptor does not have a hole in it I do not see why you might not slip that by.. then again why.. its as good as an SX at that point so no need to push the rules. :D

If you do not know the rules at this time or are confused in any way im hoping that we can help you out at this years Internats. Before actually as that is the reason for this post..

Good boating

grim

97971[/snapback]

Hey Grim what if I wanted to run a sport boat what do I need to do?Always a rabbit in the hat.

Here we go again.

Lets see if you have a SX and brake the lower unit all you can get is a SS lower foot the last time I checked at K&B. Maybe they have made some more SX foots. No sure.

You guys are making this a big issue because it should be a stock outboard motor class not a sport class. How far is sport? Once it starts where does it end. Sport mod. with a short pipe????? :(

How can a new boater get into this class if we allow all these mods to happen to the engines and he buys a stock motor and gets blowed away. He wil probably get disapointed.

The hobby is having enough problems getting new comers.

Just my .02 The best way to pass inspection is to keep it on the trailer. We will not run Sport this year at the internats. To many troubles. :p

Tim

Hey Grim what if I wanted to run a sport boat what do I need to do?

Always a rabbit in the hat. -Ron Drake

reading the rule book seems simple enough to me, im not sure I understand all of the controversy?

~James

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a very deceiving class. Pretty much anything goes as long as it looks stock.. Plenty of things you can do to an engine that will improve it's performance that aren't done at the factory.

People will talk of intent of the class and all that jazz, but it might as well be mod outboard without pipes.

Charley

Tim

K&B has the lower end halves #51-8903 and the lower end assembly #50-8903 for the SX in stock ...... ;)

Charley

Hush that NAMBA talk !!! :lol: :lol:

CHowarth said:
People will talk of intent of the class and all that jazz, but it might as well be mod outboard without pipes.
Charley

98005[/snapback]

Why cant it be just that?? I agree maybe the name should be changed to "stock appearing" class. But the rules are the rules. Until that changes, why not abide by them?? It would WAY harder to police a supposed "true" stock class as apposed to what we have now. then you would get into teardowns at the pond. Atleast this way, with a trained eye you can see whether the person is within the limits of the rules. Am I by myself on this??

I have been in situations where there are "stock" classes (go cart racing) and all hell usually breaks loose more times than not over that class because of the teardown rules ( you would have to have some sort of teardown rule!) We are all competetive in our nature and you better believe there WILL be some modifications (illegal or not) going on no matter what the title of the class is. I say leave it alone, You can only stuff so much air and fuel into and out of an opening anyway, If you know what to do inside the engine understanding those intake and exhaust limitations, then your one step ahead of the guy that doesnt. This along with the perfect setup, is what makes this class so competitive and controversial, all at the same time.

Sorry Mike for clogging the thread up, feel free to move it to a new topic.

P.S. this isnt directed at Charley H., just wanted to use his statement as an example

~James

My only problem with the class is that in IMPBA, B Sport Tunnel is called B stock tunnel all the time. And that's why I say it's a very deceiving class. People also say tunnels are a great class for beginners( I don't agree) and think newbies should get a stock K&B and go race in Sport tunnel. Well, first race, the new kid gets killed by other "stock" tunnels and can't figure out why.

I don't think the class is bad, the name is just confusing. Sport tunnel to me sounds like a sportsman or beginner class. Call it Super Stock or Improved Stock or just call it stock and follow NAMBA.

Oh well.. Not my problem thankfully.

Charley

I agree Charley, it does get decieving to the uninformed.

Im ignorant to the way Namba does it, what are the rules in a nut shell??

~James

Box stock.. And I don't say that way is the perfect way.. Heck, NAMBA out here is going to a full mill.. lol... Merge the organizations!! :D

:ph34r:

is there a teardown/protest rule of any sorts? in your other statement what do you mean by "full mill"?

~James

I have no idea about teardown or inspection rules.. NAMBA is allowed to cut the course until the last 5 seconds during mill time. Out here in D8, they are experimenting with not being able to cut the course in the final 30 seconds of mill time..

wow, that is suprising, I was unaware. we get major points deducted if we cut the course any time even mill... ~James

topfuel443 said:
wow, that is suprising, I was unaware. we get major points deducted if we cut the course any time even mill... ~James
98040[/snapback]

I know.. I raced IMPBA for a couple of years.

Merge the Organizations!!

lets do it...

although that discussion will probably warrant an entire different thread....

~James

Back