Sport hydro

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, Then,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Guess I will have to put Tracy's boat build on hold then folks,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, <_<

The powers to be have worked out a solution Kevin will spell it out soon............so pull up a chair and a cold drink its all good

Brian,

By strict interpretation of that wording, the only legal air trap is 1/8" wide. 1/16" isn't legal either. And the Mutt2 can never be made legal without sanding the air trap off making the bottom flat, and using with an 1/8" thick rib. I think I understand why the Mutts air trap is so wide, it is a real PITA to make a epoxy/glass rib 1/8" wide. The Mutt's air trap is that way for ease of manufacture, but it still does not meet IMPBA rules. As I said, the intent of SP40 (and SP20 and SPGas) is to have a 3 point hydro that resemble the full scale hydros; unlimiteds, 7 liters, grand prixs, etc.of any vintage.

Enough said. I look forward to hearing the resolution from the IMPBA folks.

Last edited by a moderator:
The powers to be have worked out a solution Kevin will spell it out soon............so pull up a chair and a cold drink its all good
Sounds good....Thanks for the heads up Mike.

Chair...check. Cold drink...check.

So....how long is this movie anyways?? :blink:

View attachment 36496 View attachment 36497 Not really a hard fix does not help or hinder boat handling. Mostly an aggravation of rule differences between IMPBA and Namba. Boats are hard to get at least on the left coast
So Mike, is this an official fix to make the Mutt2 legal? I would really like to have an official ruling on it as I would like to participate in races like Hobart, but as Jon pointed out I don't want to get there and then be protested. If it is as easy as what you have pictured or as Brian describes then game on.

Chair and cold drink at the ready.

<p>

The only thing I don't like in the Trial Rules for this year is they allowed transom mount struts in 20 but not in 40.

That make very hard to keep water out of the hull in Electrics.

So I guess I will stop painting my new sport 40.
The FE rules allow struts on the back this is just for nitro sports.   I would like to see transom mounted struts allowed on all sport boats.
I'm just seeing this thread for the 1st time.I will say the big boys stoped mounting the strut through the bottom of the hull many many years ago...... TL

yepper.

would love to see the strut on the transom of the sport 40 hulls as well.

TONS EASIER to build in my opinion.

patiently awaiting the rules update to hopefully continue the building.................

View attachment 36496 View attachment 36497 Not really a hard fix does not help or hinder boat handling. Mostly an aggravation of rule differences between IMPBA and Namba. Boats are hard to get at least on the left coast
So Mike, is this an official fix to make the Mutt2 legal? I would really like to have an official ruling on it as I would like to participate in races like Hobart, but as Jon pointed out I don't want to get there and then be protested. If it is as easy as what you have pictured or as Brian describes then game on.

Chair and cold drink at the ready.
Yes its a legal fix to make the Mutt2 legal Pm me your email for more details

I have ZERO complants.. this is going to make it SO MUCH easer to design a boat for the class... without grey interpatation..

My Vote will be YES!

Grimracer
I am sure you have no complaints, since I have heard that you had input into writing this rule. If it is so much easier, how about answering the questions that I posted above?

I can see how this is going to be, the guys that already have boats that meet the specs (Phil Thomas, AC) will think that it is just fine. The few of us that thought outside the box and took a lot of time to build something from scratch to the existing rules of 2011 will just have to deal with it.

What about the timing of this? I am glad I did not enter the nats this year to find out 1 month before hand that my boat is illegal. Like I said in my first post, I have no problem tightening up the rules, but there needs to be a well defined plan to implement them. Not just as I have been told, " thats the new rule, deal with it."
Bingo.......TL

For the sake of keeping track, has anyone started a list of those hulls that would be made illegal based on these new rules?  Over on OSE (http://forums.offsho...1382#post411382), some have started listing them... Here are a few:

• MTO sport 40 and sport 20 round noses (illegal-keelson & transom width)
  • PT Stealth sport 20 (illegal-keelson & transom width)
  • Whiplash Sport 20 and 40  (illegal-keelson)
  • Mutt II sport 40 (illegal-air trap width)
  • H&M Sport 20 size round nose (illegal-keelson & transom width)
  • H&M SuperSport 21 (illegal-air trap width)
I'll update as more are discovered.

Before everyone totally panics, however, it appears that IMPBA directors are already working to address some of the issues here.  As Doug Smock keeps telling people... "The sky isn't falling yet"...  Maybe discuss as adults, air your concerns, and have a conversation about it.  No need to get completely riled up.  They are just trial rules at this point, after all...   :)
Thanks for the list. Looks like my TWO sport hydro's are out, NOT HAPPY....TL

Are you not reading well today?

Focus man!..

Just picking on ya.. read topic BELOW this one..

Grim

Perhaps the Mods could close/remove this thread to avoid any further confusion and enemy making?? ;) It looks/sounds to me like the situation is well in hand, thanks to some dilligent and attentive IMPBA officials... :)

"....... thanks to some dilligent and attentive IMPBA officials... :) "

Hey Darin,

You have gt to be kidding me. The same "Dligence and attentiveness"

included the "One Year Trial" in the last Roostertail, and started this Soap Opera in the first place

CHEERS !!! Bob Johnson

"....... thanks to some dilligent and attentive IMPBA officials... :) "

Hey Darin,

You have gt to be kidding me. The same "Dligence and attentiveness"

included the "One Year Trial" in the last Roostertail, and started this Soap Opera in the first place

CHEERS !!! Bob Johnson
Really?? You felt you needed to go there?? :rolleyes:

Yes... THIS situation, appears to be being dealt with by some officials that seem to have heard the concerns:

http://www.intlwaters.com/index.php?showtopic=51020&hl=&fromsearch=1

http://www.intlwaters.com/index.php?showtopic=51030&hl=&fromsearch=1

I fail to see how one can draw a negative from that. If you have a *****, aim it at THEM! :rolleyes:

Back