sport 60

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm in district 14 and there doesn't seem to be much going on around here. I still have my (65VRM) two wing hydro but i.t's just about dead here. We used to have 12 or so racing this class 10-15 years ago. :unsure:

Hey James,

About the only place I have seen Sport 60 run was in District 19 (SOCAL/AZ) and at the NAMBA Nats each year. CHEERS !!! Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
District 19 (SoCal, AZ, S NV) Used to have a bunch. However I don't think many nitro classes are running much there anymore. We don't run it here in District 9(NorCal, N NV). I think it's been relegated to mostly a Nats class. Kinda like Sport X. That hasn't run since we ran it at the Nationals here back in 07.

my thing is that i want to build an 1/8 scale unlimited but make some cosmetic changes to my liking. So i figured that even tho it wouldn't be legal for scale racing i might have been able to race in the sport 60 class. My only other concern about that was that neither namba nor impba allow for a recessed transom.

Okay I am going there... Sport 60 is just that sport class; rules apply just like all the sports classes. So you are very limited to what you can do to the hull. James there are so many modern and past scales that have recessed transoms and rear shoes and so on. Heck there is two type of rigger boats along with a four point boat you can build. Your options are endless with scale class, just saying. Also James if you want to design such a radical hydro like David then there is a class for you to go in. It is called Hydro A,B,C,D,E,and F hydro classes. The class is open to do what ever you want. Go crazy, go nuts, it just has to be a hydroplane by definition. It is all in your rule book look it up. Heck if you want to you can build a twin or more engine boat. If you are just out to have fun and run for the fun, then heck go crazy go nuts build what ever as long as you are happy and having fun. But what we do not need in racing is another class of boat that already has been established so that one or two people have something to do or try to sell. The rules are there for you to look at. It is easy to build to them and still have fun. I can think of NAMBA class and no offence to anyone that is NAMBA but you have 2 sport 40 classes to satisfy one manufacture and his rigger type boat (which would be a hydro class?) that I think in my personnel opinion is flat nuts. I am not NAMBA and do not have a vote or say with them and I do think they have some great rules. Okay sorry got up on my soap box again everyone please I mean NO offence and wish to have a good debate on this topic.

I am not offended in fact i'm a noob. I understand how the boats work but as far as the rules and all the different classes go im not quite up to speed yet.

Okay, time for the next question. What boat are you looking at building and what "cosmetic changes" are you looking at?

James I'm not sure what kind of "cosmetic changes" you have in mind but as Don said check the rule book to see what your governing organization will allow for Sport classes. One thing you may want to consider too, not that I'm advising you to build a Scale, but Scales are allowed to run in Sport 60 in NAMBA. So you could run two classes if you wanted. I'd hate to see you build a Sport 60 and not be able to run it if the class isn't offered where you are.

Back