Sport 40 strut mounting

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder how many people are going to do some fiberglassing to fix the slot in there boat to have a rear mounted strut.
Probably not many since it does not to seem to affect much other than ease a new builder with mounting a strut...a poll could be started for the curious...

I wonder how many people are going to do some fiberglassing to fix the slot in there boat to have a rear mounted strut.
Most likely very few if any. I tested both ways on the last sport 40 I had a few years back and it was pretty much equal, maybe a hair better off the corners with the strut under the boat.

This is a done deal and passed by a huge margin so it's time to move on.

Most likely very few if any. I tested both ways on the last sport 40 I had a few years back and it was pretty much equal, maybe a hair better off the corners with the strut under the boat.

This is a done deal and passed by a huge margin so it's time to move on.
move on?????? you mean they can't beat the hole in the ground that the dead horse used to be in.........

Great job getting the votes out in D1 Monsieur Luc!
default_smile.png

Hey Scott,

Build away and bring the best of the two to Atlanta Spring Nats. I know that Steve Peterson is building a new boat, Jeff Schlindler and I have a good history running together, even RB may get the new boat worked out so we can all race each other and have a Blast !!! I'll bring my old, rag-tag piece with - just to have something to enter. Har, Har !!! CHEERS !!! Bob

And to Jim.. the prop is a riding surface.. move the strut, move the effective length of the boat. Every inch back makes the boat an inch longer.

Regardless.. Im still looking for a "good" reason to make the change. One just has not been brought forward. In this day and age "because its easier" is our go to life line, holds no weight to me. (just me).

Lets vote.

Grim

Sorry Grim but I disagree with your statement. The prop is not riding surface like other parts of the hull. I think you have it wrong about its affects on placement. If you move it back. It makes the boat act like the hull is shorter, NOT longer. Smaller adjustments will make bigger effects on hull attitude. I have played with this with fullsize hydros both inboard and outboard.

I personally do not think we should restrict people from running a boat because they mounted the strut to the transom. I understand tradition,.. but like all things, we must change and improve to grow.. My sport 40 has a transom mounted strut. I don't think I would have ever done it any other way.. but I'm new to SP40s...

And if there is no real difference or advantage,.. then who gives a hoot,..

Just so I am clear Mark..

Sing with me....How many "points" on a 3 point hydro. do-da do-da..

(Trick Question I know).. bhawwaaaaaaaaaaa (just messing with ya)

See ya this summer...

Grim

Just so I am clear Mark..

Sing with me....How many "points" on a 3 point hydro. do-da do-da..

(Trick Question I know).. bhawwaaaaaaaaaaa (just messing with ya)

See ya this summer...

Grim
See ya this summer Grim.

Yes Team Leyde will be running a Sport 40 all summer. Not new but new to us. The new one is going to be on the building board this summer.

Im going to put mine on the back and make it a riding surface. Line em up boys I will move the ice outta the way

Can't wait till someone does this to their sport 40 and you know it will happen, lol

1451969_719078351443244_1304812872_n.jpg

Can't wait till someone does this to their sport 40 and you know it will happen, lol
Well if some of you took the time to actually read the new strut rule you'd know that can't happen-

A strut width no greater than 9/16 inch wide or a length longer than 3 inches may be

mounted either under the hull or on the transom with the farthest end of the drive dog,

as measured from the transom not extending out more than 3 1/2 inches.

So how about carrying on like intelligent adults and perhaps we admins won't need to keep shutting threads down.
default_rolleyes.gif

And for the record most threads get shut down because members ASK for that to happen.
default_wacko.png

Last edited by a moderator:
With all the rule changes with sport 40 to make them look like the modern boats, when is the vote for rear ski's and resesed transoms.

Check out the yellow Annihilator race boat and see what I'm talking about.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure the idea was EVER to make them "look real" the idea with the sturt was to lengthen the boat and make it easer to install.

This is were the lack of intent for the class is going to be an issue for MANY years.

Grim

Latest posts

Back