Sport 40 strut mounting

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't recall what year the 1/8th Scale and Sport 40 rules were initially adopted by IMPBA. I do know it was after 1976 - based on the results for the 1976 Internats in Chesapeake, VA.

Once approved, we ran that set of rules for about 30 years as I recall.

The current revision to the Sportsman rules has been ongoing for what - three or four years now, and still we still have no hard copy or digital Rule Book to start the 2014 racing season with. Rather than spending so much time whining about what the rules do or do not include, how about we use the rules posted in this thread - provided to Mike Betke by ex-President Kevin Sheren that we believe are what will be published, build and race using those guidelines for a change.

CHEERS !!! Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
Bob.. I think 1/8"scale became a US-1 class in 2000. The Sport 40s are still a specialty class. Neither would have shown up on that list regardless.

Grim

On the early eighties our club proposed d sportsman hydro as a class. I was not involved enough at that time to know if our rules or Gus Johnsons were used. We based the rules off the Dumas u1 boat kit as rhis is what we all raced

I don't recall what year the 1/8th Scale and Sport 40 rules were initially adopted by IMPBA. I do know it was after 1976 - based on the results for the 1976 Internats in Chesapeake, VA.

1976 Internats Results.jpg

Once approved, we ran that set of rules for about 30 years as I recall.

The current revision to the Sportsman rules has been ongoing for what - three or four years now, and still we still have no hard copy or digital Rule Book to start the 2014 racing season with. Rather than spending so much time whining about what the rules do or do not include, how about we use the rules posted in this thread - provided to Mike Betke by ex-President Kevin Sheren that we believe are what will be published, build and race using those guidelines for a change.

CHEERS !!! Bob
Kevin called me a couple weeks ago. The New Rules should completed in the rule book soon. Instead of making a bunch of changes every year he wanted to wait until the recent voting went through. Should be up to date soon. Kevin's a good a guy. Easy to talk to.

I was just say that the Annihilator boats in Sport 40 would be awesome. They look awesome. They also have rear ski's like the Unlimiteds.

Hey Mike/Grim,

Not concerned about either being a US 1 class, I was more trying to recall when the Rules were generated for Sport 40. We were racing Sport 40 size Lauterbach hulls designed by Frank Blanchard in Norfolk, VA in 1972 or so in D Hydro. John Finch brought this article to my attention that he had written for January 1977 Flying Models mag about Frank's Lauterbach model:

Hardware was state of the art for the time - Marine Specialties rudder assembly and 7 degree strut, Octura 2. X series prop with a Dumas case hardened 3/16" shaft supported by ball bearings. Hulls were Wood Over Foam (WOF) - we had just started using Dow Chemical Styrofoam Frank found 4" thick X 4' X 8' slab. There were three of these hull built Frank, Gus Johnson and myself running K&B 40 side exhaust loop scavenged engines.

We were building 1/8th Scale boats in 1974 in Miami. Gus was in communications with Roger Newton using very similar rules to what R/C Unlimited was using at the time. I have some very old Newton Marine plans catalogs I'll post here one of these days so we can revisit where we started. Right and left coasts were actually working together back then. Imagine that.

I just found an article from February 1980 Model Airplane News "Powerboat News" that reported the 1979 IMPBA Internats hosted by Dallas R/C Model Boat Club. There is a line item showing results for "Scale Hydro" : 1.) Gus Johnson 2.) Steve Babin 3.) Rip Holdridge. Results also show AB Deep Vee, CD Deep Vee, EF Deep Vee and Outboard class results.

Also results for: AB ,CD, EF Mono and AB, CD, E and F Hydro 1/16 Mile Straight, 1/3rd mile Oval, and Heat Racing results.

CHEERS !!! Bob

Point being thats why you did not see them in the paper clipping.. Only US1 classes were show on that.

I think the silver cup goes back to 1974 or so. Gary Preusse was the first winner. Before that those old shoes would have to fill in the rest.

Grim

I raced a sport 40 back in 1981 in Ottawa, Ontario Canada with our Ottawa Valley Racers club. There were 5 in our club. Lord that is a long time ago. LOL.

Rick

Back