Sport 40 strut mounting

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Murany

I am curious how the Sport 40 strut rule change trial run is going? We have 2 boats we are getting ready to work on and dont want to put all the work into building the boats and then have the new rule not stay in effect. Appreciate any feedback.

Thanks

Dave

7. A strut width no greater than 9/16 inch wide or a length longer than 3 inches may be mounted
either under the hull or on the transom with the farthest end of the drive dog, as measured
from the transom not extending out more than 3 1/2 inches.
this is current IMPBA rule

I thought the transom mounted strut configuration was the trial rule, and is up for vote next month.

I thought the transom mounted strut configuration was the trial rule, and is up for vote next month.
I didnt know there was a vote coming up. I am trying to get an idea of how the trial run went. I hope the rule stays as it is now written in the post larcor69 put up Do you know how the voting will be done?

Thanks

Dave

As far as the trial run, I'm not sure. Mine is the old configuration mounted underneath. It will be in the December Roostertail for vote. I'm not sure what the process is, but I think you can email your district director with your vote.

The vote has not happened yet and I hope the new rule does not pass. It is not anymore difficult to mount under the boat. Please don't fix what is not broken. I KNOW many in D1 run it under at it is a great class. Our Canadian friends want it out. Please le Luc White what your vote is. Tom Galdys

I mount mine under with 1/4' offset to the left. There's no real gain. Under the trial rule I extended the drive dog from under the transom during the rule trial a little and saw little gains but not much. I got that little tip from SayMikey.

The vote has not happened yet and I hope the new rule does not pass. It is not anymore difficult to mount under the boat. Please don't fix what is not broken. I KNOW many in D1 run it under at it is a great class. Our Canadian friends want it out. Please le Luc White what your vote is. Tom Galdys
Namba allows for outdrives as per the Namba rulebook;

7. Out drive assemblies will be allowed.

Maybe those eastern Canadians should just join Namba? Namba rules also prohibit exposed tuned pipes which I feel is more important than the strut rule.

5. There will be no exposed tuned pipes allowed. Tuned pipes will be covered by a

deck, a cowl, or an exhaust shroud. That portion of a tuned pipe which is confined to

the engine compartment will be exempt.

I agree with Tom, I am voting to keep it underneath.

Rob, other than a more scale-like appearance, is there any gain/loss with the tuned pipe concealed under the deck?

I agree with Tom, I am voting to keep it underneath.

Rob, other than a more scale-like appearance, is there any gain/loss with the tuned pipe concealed under the deck?
There is no gain/loss with the tuned pipe concealed, just more scale like. Actually, lower center of gravity if anything.

I don't agree with the concealed tuned pipe rule NAMBA has. It's extremely hard to get the pipe under my cowl on my sport 40. I made it work but it's very tight.

Their may be a slight reduction in noise by running the exhaust thru the transom. I do not run a after muffler on my sport 40 but I did on a 45 Mono. Same 45 Rs motors and pipes . The noise seemed to be a bit less on the Sport 40.??? Anyone ever tested with a Db meter???

My pipe is under the cowling on my sport40 and i have a ton of room Robert

Last edited by a moderator:
It's past time for the sport 40 strut location allowance to be the same as the other eight IMPBA sport hydro classes. We have tested both ways in the past and found little to no difference performance wise (actually the last PT sport 40 I had ran just a touch better through the corners with the strut underneath). Not one person who doesn't want to change it has been able to offer up a single reason of why not other than "well that's the way it's always been". For those that are so dead set against allowing PLEASE offer up something substantial and factual as to why without the "that's the way it's always been" or "if it ain't broke don't fix it" excuse. With that line of thinking you'd still be running K&B side exhaust 40 motors in them...............

It's past time for the sport 40 strut location allowance to be the same as the other eight IMPBA sport hydro classes. We have tested both ways in the past and found little to no difference performance wise (actually the last PT sport 40 I had ran just a touch better through the corners with the strut underneath). Not one person who doesn't want to change it has been able to offer up a single reason of why not other than "well that's the way it's always been". For those that are so dead set against allowing PLEASE offer up something substantial and factual as to why without the "that's the way it's always been" or "if it ain't broke don't fix it" excuse. With that line of thinking you'd still be running K&B side exhaust 40 motors in them...............
Yea, what he said.................

Dick Tyndall

A very long time ago Mark Anderson built two shafts for his Mutt Sport 40. One had the strut mounted on the inside of the transom and the other mounted on the outside. He raced against Eric Bourlet's standard Mutt and could see no difference in speed. That convinced most NAMBA sport hydro racers around here to approve the outdrive rule.

Lohring Miller

Yea, what he said.................

Dick Tyndall
When it comes to a vote Im for the change too. Just cause the rule says you can put the strut on the transom doesnt mean you have to. Plus it now would match the Namba rules.

NAMBA is NAMBA and IMPBA is IMPBA. IMPBA has no rule as to the exhaust thru the transom as they also have different rules. If there is NO difference in running speeds or handling with the placement of the strut,why change the rule. There is no complaint about it being under the hull, It is still as competitive so you say. You say no there is no difference then why such a push to change the rule. When Sport40 was started,there were no other Sport classes. I understand,that the smaller sport classes can cause a space problem but there is NO space problem in Sport40. Part of the competition is in the set up of your boat as well as the motorheads doing their thing. Sport40 was a clean class and fun to run the way it is. Setting up your boat is a great part of the hobby. Leave the class alone. Let the members speak. Sport40 has always been a true class of it's own. I would like to change the question around from "it's always been that way and if it's not broken, why fix it" to WHY SHOULD THIS CHANGE BE MADE????What is the advantage to changing it??? VOTE NO TO THE CHANGE and let the purist's have the class they like. Tom Galdys

NAMBA is NAMBA and IMPBA is IMPBA. IMPBA has no rule as to the exhaust thru the transom as they also have different rules. If there is NO difference in running speeds or handling with the placement of the strut,why change the rule. There is no complaint about it being under the hull, It is still as competitive so you say. You say no there is no difference then why such a push to change the rule. When Sport40 was started,there were no other Sport classes. I understand,that the smaller sport classes can cause a space problem but there is NO space problem in Sport40. Part of the competition is in the set up of your boat as well as the motorheads doing their thing. Sport40 was a clean class and fun to run the way it is. Setting up your boat is a great part of the hobby. Leave the class alone. Let the members speak. Sport40 has always been a true class of it's own. I would like to change the question around from "it's always been that way and if it's not broken, why fix it" to WHY SHOULD THIS CHANGE BE MADE????What is the advantage to changing it??? VOTE NO TO THE CHANGE and let the purist's have the class they like. Tom Galdys
Nothing will make you change your setup, you just will have a CHOICE as to where the strut is mounted. Belive it or not, it is easier to do the transom mount, some people cant drill a square hole.. :lol:

Even with Namba allowing outdrives, I will still mount the strut under the hull as per instructions with the Mutt and PT hulls I will be assembling this winter.

Back