Sport 40 strut mounting

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Regarding the above....Maybe not "ready" for a sport 40 boat.......

And to Jim.. the prop is a riding surface.. move the strut, move the effective length of the boat. Every inch back makes the boat an inch longer.

Regardless.. Im still looking for a "good" reason to make the change. One just has not been brought forward. In this day and age "because its easier" is our go to life line, holds no weight to me. (just me).

Lets vote.

Grim

Yeah that's the right attitude to promote the hobby........................ NOT!

Don, this has nothing to do with promoting the hobby or not,, you wouldn't expect a new person to the hobby to build a 1/8th scale, or a twin hydro, due to the difficulty in building, prepping and running,,, so DON'T come off with that BS!!!!
No BS there whatsoever! I would never tell a new boater that "if you can't bore a hole through the bottom of a hull maybe you shouldn't be building a sport-40", your own words Rick that you posted on line for all to read. For me, I'd do everything I could to try to walk them through it and even do it for them if they're close enough to me, the transom mounting just makes it easier for all concerned. A sport hydro hull is easy to build (other than the strut) and a great way for someone to get into running realistic looking full bodied hydros who may not have the funds or ability to do a scale. A couple D12 racers got their start in sport 40 with Phil's hulls and did well so don't even try to put a sport 40 on the same level as a scale or twin, that is the only BS here. You are set in stone and there is no changing that so let's not waste anymore keystrokes arguing about it, we'll see what the members choose in December.

Last edited by a moderator:
The first time I raced against sport 40's with transom mounted struts was almost twenty years ago.

I had no problem competing against them then and am positive I would have no problem now .

Twenty years ago guys and we're still talking about this.

Somewhere on here someone wanted a good reason to change the strut rule. I have an idea to consider. First, I also have no horse in the race.

The sport 40 boat specifications seem to be somewhat contradictory. Phil said the strut etc are not part of the hull. I'm guessing the thing you race on the water is the boat meaning hull, strut, turn fin etc. My question is why would you want a hull that MUST resemble a past or present limited or unlimited but a boat that can't because of strut mounting limitations

Jim,

The large part of this is the confusion on what dictates a "sport boat" in the IMPBA. Is this a boat that is "Scale" or.. standoff scale? Or kind of scale of a full body hydro.

Let’s face it nobody could predict the changes that the full scale boats have undergone when the rules were set in place. Most of those that race sport 40 enjoy the class because of the limitations not the lack of them. IF’ we were to make this class follow full scale boating WHO would police this? What if I showed up with a new boat and it was.. well.. scale but 3” longer then scale. How would you know this.. The real boat was longer than the max allowable length.. OR is there no max allowable length, we are after all scale.. the list goes on and on.

Whats so strange (to me) is what we have now in IMPBA sport 40 is going very well and the boat class quite strong.. Yet we question what we have and want to make changes. Lets face it somebody lost a race.. it happens all the time and this class with “grey areas” is the one that gets questioned.

To me it’s just that simple.. No more and no less.

To me a better solution to the sport 40 “Strut” issue is to eliminate the intent.

Grim

RULE CHANGED!!!

All I can say ... it's about time.
default_smile.png

Ballot Results from December

Roostertail

Ballot 13-010 Disabled Boat Points Allowance Passed

Ballot 13-011 Sportsman 40 Strut Rule Passed

Ballot 13-012 Gas Scale Unlimited Passed

Ballot 13-013 Racing Rule Amendment Bouy Cuts Passed

Ballot 13-014 Constitution Amendment Racing Rule Publishing Passed

You can find the complete results by District

http://www.impba.net/

Somewhere on here someone wanted a good reason to change the strut rule. I have an idea to consider. First, I also have no horse in the race.

The sport 40 boat specifications seem to be somewhat contradictory. Phil said the strut etc are not part of the hull. I'm guessing the thing you race on the water is the boat meaning hull, strut, turn fin etc. My question is why would you want a hull that MUST resemble a past or present limited or unlimited but a boat that can't because of strut mounting limitations
Sorry, but I'm with Jim. Mike, IMO you just took it further than it needed to be.

Wow, look at that post #130 says it all. We are finally moving forward!!! Now for the recessed transforms.

Another specialty class ruined for "change" sake. Either way until my PT 45 gets beat by the "transom " guys consistently I will not be changing a thing.

Another specialty class ruined for "change" sake. Either way until my PT 45 gets beat by the "transom " guys consistently I will not be changing a thing.
The membership voted and it passed. End of story.

Last edited by a moderator:
After many year, this is the end of this long debate. Thanks everyone for voting in favor of this rule.

Sébastien

I wonder how many people are going to do some fiberglassing to fix the slot in there boat to have a rear mounted strut.

Latest posts

Back