Sport 40 strut mounting

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I gotta chime in on that one, The boaters in D1 in quebec don't come to even any D1 races. I've seen only Luc White twice and guess what, He does not run sport 40. Tom Galdys

All this talk about sp. 40 struts has got me wondering.....does anybody have a Tyndal sp.40 fin and bracket they want to sell? Just posted in F/S section... : )

I gotta chime in on that one, The boaters in D1 in quebec don't come to even any D1 races. I've seen only Luc White twice and guess what, He does not run sport 40. Tom Galdys
Tom. Your statement is false. There were several of them at the Ottawa race in September. The D1 boaters from Quebec asked me if we would allow rear mounted struts at our NLMBC race in 2014. When I told them we would, they said they would make the 7 hour drive to attend our race.

On a side note, their Sport 40's are in no way any faster or handle better than a typical Sport 40. They do look nice though.

Tom. Your statement is false. There were several of them at the Ottawa race in September. The D1 boaters from Quebec asked me if we would allow rear mounted struts at our NLMBC race in 2014. When I told them we would, they said they would make the 7 hour drive to attend our race.

On a side note, their Sport 40's are in no way any faster or handle better than a typical Sport 40. They do look nice though.
A group from Quebec did come to our race in 2012, and yes they raced Sport 40.

Tim

I stand corrected,one race and almost in their own backyard. I have never seen a sport40 or raced against one with a rear mounted strut,Just for the record. Tom Galdys LETS VOTE

I stand corrected,one race and almost in their own backyard. I have never seen a sport40 or raced against one with a rear mounted strut,Just for the record. Tom Galdys LETS VOTE
I'll correct you again Tom. They held their own IMPBA sanctioned race in Quebec this year which is their "own backyard". That makes two races in D1 they raced at.

Thank you Randy for making my point. They don't go to national races they stay in their OWN BACK YARD. Make change for them? Randy, Just vote!!! Tom Galdys

Hello all well this is why the change is also needed just like Tom said he never saw any sport 40's with struts on the back

well I have been informed that in the past that some of the Quebec racers had went a few times down to Elmira Ny in the past then

where told that they could not go back and race with them Canadian sport 40's since they had the strut on the back maybe that it is why

you never seen them.

I think over all it will open up the class even more with your choice of putting the strut under or on the back of the boat I even have heard that allot

of Namba members would love to race at some of our Big Impba event with sport 40's but can't because of that old rule IMPBA has they can not race. I do hope that this new rule

will pass for the greater of the sport 40's in D1 and in all of IMPBA.

Regards

Luc

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW Another 5 pages on this!!! I sure hope the select few up there in Canada sure feel special. We will be voting on a National rule just so a handful of racers that purposely built their boats "outside the rules" can race in a class that their boats don't qualify for. Now for those who think I am being to harsh on this, there is a class that a sport 40 style boat with the transom mounted strut can race in and that's 40 Hydro. There problem solved!!!!!!!

Oh by the way I think we should remove the part where twin motors cannot be used. I saw a twin 21 powered sport 40 run and there was no difference in speed or handling. :D :D :D

I guess you know how I am going to vote.

Buddy and Tom. Do you guys actually think this rule change has everything to do with a few District 1 racers in Quebec? You guys are missing the point. It is for the betterment of IMPBA and nitro racing throughout the US & Canada. It is to make ALL the Sport classes uniform. Change is needed. Or, we can sit back like we have the past 15 years and watch the class get less and less popular. Give people the option. You might be surprised and see the class get revitalized.

Rules change or are addeed every year in IMPBA. Why a few of you are so twisted over this little issue is beyond my comprehension.

I'm ready to vote. :)

WOW Another 5 pages on this!!! I sure hope the select few up there in Canada sure feel special. We will be voting on a National rule just so a handful of racers that purposely built their boats "outside the rules" can race in a class that their boats don't qualify for. Now for those who think I am being to harsh on this, there is a class that a sport 40 style boat with the transom mounted strut can race in and that's 40 Hydro. There problem solved!!!!!!!

Oh by the way I think we should remove the part where twin motors cannot be used. I saw a twin 21 powered sport 40 run and there was no difference in speed or handling. :D :D :D

HA You would want a goofy twin 21 with 2 struts props sticking out and you are worried about a transom mounted strut???

I dont think those boaters in Quebec cared much about a strut rule when the decided to model real boats, Go ahead and vote no so you wont have to ever see one of those boats run at a national race.

After reading through 5 pages of arguing and such, I figure I'll weigh in as an interested observer. Since I don't run IMPBA, I don't have a stake either way, so here's my though on the subject after reading both the present and proposed rules:

As presently written, all sport 40 boats are limited to an actual length of 40". When you add the drive dog and prop, you're out to around 41" as an effective length.

As proposed, the actual length will still be limited to 40". The change, with the strut mounted on the transom and the builder going out to the maximum 3.5" to the rear of the dog as allowed, is an increase in effective length to between 44 and 45". I know some of you are saying "SO WHAT", but what must be considered is that, with the prop further aft, the CG could be moved aft if desired, giving different handling characteristics that COULD(for example) give the boat an edge in smoother water. Conversely, leaving the CG forward may help in rougher water.

Okay, let the flaming begin

We read post after post about how we can get new people involved in our hobby.

Why is the hobby dying in my area?

Whats wrong with RC boating?

Etc. Etc.

I think this post explains a lot of what is wrong, thanks for clearing that up Buddy.

Tim Kish

You guy's keep saying the class is dying, Our sport 40 count was over 20 at both of our races this year and has been for the past few years.

I have been racing for the past 15 years and sport 40 by far has been the most popular class throughout the whole time I have been racing. Sport 40 was the Original sport class and was cloned off the Scale rules. Sport 20 came along and the strut was allowed on the transom so was Gas sport hydro. Why sport 20 and Gas sport hydro didn't follow the Sport 40 rules is beyond me.

Mark has a very good point. If you are running a sport 40 that is over 36.5 inches long (and this rule change passes) you add the strut on the back it will be too long and it won't be legal. I have seen several guys on here building 38 to 40 inch boats.

Just my opinion

Buddy

Back