Sport 20

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did my 1st layup on plug,I did some thing stuppid an added acetone to the 2cd coat of black gelcoat to reduce it and it lifted in 10-12 spots size of a dime.call the company that I got it from and they said that was my problem most likely or I didn't stur in the hardner well enough,there leaning on the acetone,because they use a styren base reducer. But Im not going to add reducer on the next one and lay the gel on thick on both coats.If it wasn't for the lifting, I would of had a good female mold.But I'm not going to wast this bad mold ,I'll use it to laminate the hull and deck together for alinement.
I lived and learned, On how not to make a female mold.

I'll keep pluggin away, LOL!

P.S. The plug and mold seperated really easy and nice (PVA-it, thanks guys)with just 4 wedges and almost fell on the floor.

Thanks Again for the help and Ideas,I''ll keep you post on progress. Scott N. Witherell
Looking pretty RACY

OK , Now I'm getting close to starting up production on the sport 20,I'm waxing deck and radio box and new cowl plugs right now(takin a break to type this" back hurts" "no pain no gain"LOL)will be laying mat and resin Wednesday for the other half of the hull. Hoping to pull my first hull and deck and join them to make my first sport 20 on monday and check for any inperfections that my have to be sanded and fixed and put the whole hull in primer before they leave the door,.Just bought enough material (epoxy and bagging equipment) to make 3-4 boats to start with for now.I'll let you guys and ladys know in the NEWS BOARD when I have one completly done and ready to go.

You my find that in the pics, the radio box and the engine bay compartment looks simular to the Phil Thomas ss45 ,In a way ,I used his front radio box consept, it was the best and easyest way to mold the deck part of the hull,and the best way, "I like /think" to set up a sport hull with the radio box up front. He's a smart man and builds really nice hulls,"how could I go wrong"with this Idea, following a master boat builder. I tryed all different types of ideas of my own(all my ideas sucked), but in the long run this was the best way.

Thanks again to all you guys that gave me help and Ideas to get this done ,with out you this would of been a real pain in the butt and a nightmare.

Thank you: Scott N. Witherell of :Nelson GP Marine

Last edited by a moderator:
have my 1st hull pulled getting ready to put the dubblers in, then laminate the 2 halves together.hope to have more made soon.

Back