Sport 18 Hydro

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Curious about something. IMPBA rulebook says RTR class should have an engine displacement of no more than .165 Cu in. Isn't the engine in the Vegas an Aquacraft (OS) .18? So does this mean that you can't run the Vegas in the IMPBA RTR class?

I think the RTR class is a good idea as long as it accomodates the stuff that's being produced. Definitely the place to be for a newbie, whether you are a kid or an adult. If you are wanting to get more competitive w/ this boat, could you not run it in Sport 20? According to the rule book, it would seem that you could run in this class as well right out of the box. It is w/in the parameters for both the hull and the engine. I imagine you could also drop in a .21, dial the boat in, and be even more competitive in the .21 class. Ideally, it would seem a newbie could plop down 300.00 or so and go racing in a couple different classes, at least in the IMPBA. I'm not sure what the rules are in NAMBA.

When I bought my first boat in 1987 (a Prather Lap Cat II), I didn't have a clue. All I know is that I wanted it. The hull, 7.5CC K&B, Radio, Servos, Fuel, Starter, Battery and all the other stuff cost me close to 800.00 back then. Then since I had no clue what I was doing, the stuff all sat around for 5 yrs or so until I joined a club and got all the help I ever wanted. This class and the existance of clubs is an awesome way to get new boaters involved in racing. The products involved, like the Vegas, are much more user friendly than when you had to piece together an outfit in the old days.

Just my two cents.

Rich

I'm puzzled also.

Chuck wrote:

The Vegas may not be legal in NAMBA, but I hear they're working on a rules revision, but it certainly is for IMPBA Sport 20
I don't see how it is possible. "Sport Hull Configurations" (page H-9) in thte IMPBA rulebook indicates that an "Extended Bottom" is not acceptable. The Vegas has and extended bottom where the engine and radiobox blocks are and it extends to the rear of the hull.

IMG_4225.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Dude... Do you really think that boat was DESIGNED FOR RACING?
Put a motor/engine in it, and someone'll want to race it. For example.... :D

Chuck your very right.. and fundmently that is the issure we are running in to.. My point is nope, the vegas was not designed for racing in IMPBA, NAMBA or BUBBA... But because the boat is what it is, guys are having fun and wanting to race them.. and....here we are..

Mike

Chuck your very right.. and fundmently that is the issure we are running in to.. My point is nope, the vegas was not designed for racing in IMPBA, NAMBA or BUBBA... But because the boat is what it is, guys are having fun and wanting to race them.. and....here we are..

Mike
I know that im going to race mine, as soon as i sort it out...(and i will!) cant wait to get this thing in the water with 5 or 6 other rtr's!!

I'm puzzled also.Chuck wrote:

The Vegas may not be legal in NAMBA, but I hear they're working on a rules revision, but it certainly is for IMPBA Sport 20
I don't see how it is possible. "Sport Hull Configurations" (page H-9) in thte IMPBA rulebook indicates that an "Extended Bottom" is not acceptable. The Vegas has and extended bottom where the engine and radiobox blocks are and it extends to the rear of the hull.
This has been discussed on RCU. Here is a link to the thread: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=5559171 .

Last edited by a moderator:

Yup. I wonder how many of these discussions are due to cabin fever? :D

300.00 for a RC boat that runs good.....other guys with the same boats COOL....... hey lets race.....you mean there is a organization that has rules for this kind of thing? What is that all about.......these guys are serious..... HOLY SH.. that thing is fast. I have just been messing around with my buddies and we thought we would see what is going on.......oh there is 3 or 4 of us.......how do you guys actually race? OK guys lets do this........we need more guys with the same boats......but those other boats sure are cool also.......wouldn't it be cool to change this and make it faster...........woohoo this thing flies now.........what a great hobby. hey they are having a big race........should I go? THAT WAS A RUSH!!!!!!!!

or

I saw some guys running these and they seem to run well....they all run about the same right out of the box......that sure is a lot of fun when all of the boats are of similar performance, that makes for some good tight racing. This is kinda neat we have picked up some new racers.......I have seen him really learn a lot about tuning with this boat.......Hey look some of the new racers have a new boat they are putting together themself......cool we now have another (ie) 3.5 rigger or gas cat.......

We don't have enough of my boat to make the class at the next race, bummer...........they want to have more classes? we only had 65 boats at our last race....... how can we get more people interested in this?

The rtr has done a lot of different things for the hobby including introduce new people to racing and boat tuning ( I would say 90% or better that buy one have no interest in racing) or a simple solution to simple stock class racing for veterans as well as beginers......(if you have not run one in a race with 4 or 5 og these all running about the same it is very fun).

but to get back on topic.....I don't think it dictates a need for another spec class when we already have the sport 20 right around the corner from what happens to be the most popular RTR at the moment. If next year we have another Manufacturer use a .26 engine in a boat that evryone likes to run do we make a .26 sport class then?

I don't know how long the "Vegas/Proboat" rtr class will be around but for now it has had some positive results in some areas. I have seen some new racers develop from it and have seen some veterans have a blast. The rules chuck and I worked on were developed to give us guidlines on how to approach "Mass Produced" boats no matter what engine or hull configuration because the fact is that now more than ever,even as recently as 5 years ago, we are more likely to see a new racer/club member show up with one of these as his first boat and I thought it was worthy to try and find a way to embrace the opportunity in a positive way and to down the road strengthen our existing classes.

I think if a guy shows up at a race with a scratch built .18............I would do everthing I could to find him a race. If a bunch of guys show up with scratch built .18's I say they belong in the sport .21 class. I for one would find it fun to Modify the Vegas to run in the sport 20 class.......

just my thoughts and opinion

Kelly Miller

Got my son started racing with a Vegas in 06... he is hooked now....I will gladly support his Nitro habit anyday....

Back