sponson shape

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Joe,
Great looking 2.5s..

grim
It's a sweet running boat as are all of Don Mashburn's boats. They are powered by a Roush built Chevy ECOTEC motor. It's been a great experience being able to attend the races & talking to the crew, Roush engineers & getting to meet Jon Staudacher.

Not that it matters to most here, but my new 21 Rigger will be similar to #3, kinda. ;)

Larry Jr.

Not that it matters to most here, but my new 21 Rigger will be similar to #3, kinda. ;)
Larry Jr.
The sharp edge keeps water from climbing the sponson. That's a good thing. Back in the early 1970s I used to glue a piece of formica to the bottom of the sponson to get the sharp edge both on the rear and both sides. The boat never tripped because the small squared off piece was only a very small portion of the overall non trip angle. The sponsons used to run very clean. Better than rounded painted edges. Now that I think of it, why aint I doing it now? :rolleyes: Like Andy said........all those shapes 1 thru 4 work. The weight of the boat and the speed of the boat in the turns all play into the perfect formula. What works at 8 ponds and 75 mph may not work at 11 pounds and 75 mph. And like "Hydro" said.........it's a combo of the fin and the chine angle that makes for the perfect turning hydro. Just my two cents worth.

don not to get on your case but i have 2 ninja 21 riggers that run really good with the #3 sponson set up. now i don't know what size boat the question is referring to but that 21 boat rocks

yes Grim i liked your boat so much i bought another one just in case!!!!

:D :D :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Larry Jr.
The sharp edge keeps water from climbing the sponson. That's a good thing. Back in the early 1970s I used to glue a piece of formica to the bottom of the sponson to get the sharp edge both on the rear and both sides. The boat never tripped because the small squared off piece was only a very small portion of the overall non trip angle. The sponsons used to run very clean. Better than rounded painted edges. Now that I think of it, why aint I doing it now? :rolleyes: Like Andy said........all those shapes 1 thru 4 work. The weight of the boat and the speed of the boat in the turns all play into the perfect formula. What works at 8 ponds and 75 mph may not work at 11 pounds and 75 mph. And like "Hydro" said.........it's a combo of the fin and the chine angle that makes for the perfect turning hydro. Just my two cents worth.

0.030" 2024-T-3 & 0.030" G-10, are also very good 'surfaces' for ride-pads. Alum is a bit trickier to bond correctly. Been using Aluminum since the early 80's. Credit goes to my dad on using that one. Recently, G-10 is a bit easier to bond. Nice and sharp/clean, like John said. My current race boat (built in 94') still has the original alum. sponson skins.... re-sharpened each year as necessary. :)

D. Jensen

p.s. - My scale boat (outrigger) built in 94' does not have sponsons that look like 1,2,3, or 4.... :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
one other thing people havn't mentioned yet is the angle of the heal. i know from testing that the angle on the back heal changes lift.

just a thought

chris

one other thing people havn't mentioned yet is the angle of the heal. i know from testing that the angle on the back heal changes lift.
just a thought

chris
just curious as to what you are referring to there? Sorry....just gettin into riggers, tryin to learn what i can

on the back side of the sponson.. ( where your ride surface is ) that angle on the heal will change lift characteristics.

chris

Chris,

You are correct about the lifting of the sponson heel angle,this is where most

have not tried enough sponson shapes. We have found a couple of proven

designs that work VERY WELL. Like I always say "Keep On Testing". It is the

BEST WAY TO LEARN.

Mark Sholund

Chris,
You are correct about the lifting of the sponson heel angle,this is where most

have not tried enough sponson shapes. We have found a couple of proven

designs that work VERY WELL. Like I always say "Keep On Testing". It is the

BEST WAY TO LEARN.

Mark Sholund
Hi, Mark!

Can you post (or e-mail me [email protected]) pictures of couple of proven

designs that work VERY WELL? Thanks, Boris

Hey Boris....I'd use 2 on the right and 1 on the left. If you look at full size hydros, each sponson is different. The outside sponson is trying to slide over the water without tripping, The inside is trying to keep the water from washing up the chine and adding drag.

Hey Boris....I'd use 2 on the right and 1 on the left. If you look at full size hydros, each sponson is different. The outside sponson is trying to slide over the water without tripping, The inside is trying to keep the water from washing up the chine and adding drag.
You guys have been talking about various numbered options. Can you explain or maybe post some pictures ?

Thanks.

Marty

Latest posts

Back