sponson rods..........??

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bubba

hey guys Jo and I finished both sponsons today for the .12 rigger......but we have to connect the two sponsons to the boat.....We have two carbon fiber rods, but im dumbfounded on how to do this...Does anybody have any input for me or some pics on how yall installed them....Also should we make them adjustable or permenent??

thanks matt

On the Hammerhead .12, we have brass tubing (you can use aluminum) running through the tub and sponsons. Epoxy these in place then use wheel collars to hold them in place. I stick the tubing out about 3/4" then slit them lengthwise that distance so that they clamp down a little easier with a Dremel cutting wheel.

Using this method, you make make them adjustable for width plus if you ever have to replace one it makes it a lot easier to do.

ron,

so you build a brass tube into the sponson?

we will probably have to redo the sponsons, because [and according to matt they are exactly according to the plans] we ended up with an angled inside edge to the sponson and and a flat [90*] angle on the outside. i was at mike t's house working on my gas cat and he politely pointed out that they probably wernt supposed to be that way....

tom moorehouse, and help here? we're using the old FF .12 plans, are they intended to have an angled inside edge or did we mess up? :unsure:

Yes, Joe, it is built in in a way. When the kit is Laser cut, the holes area already provided and whenever I get the kits out, I plan to have them predrilled into the foam also to make building them a piece of cake. The HH.12 sponsons have a light ply skin with 1/8" balsa between the ply and foam.

BUMP......tom moorehouse please help us out here....

matt,

either way we'll try it along with a couple other sets of sponsons im building,

got a few ideas i wanna try. of course that means we're gonna hafta finish the boat and run it.

Oh man.... I have to give out more of my secrets.... learned only after years of trial and (lots of) error! :rolleyes:

A lot depends on the type of tubes you are using. can you put a screw or hole through it without risk of cracking? If so then you can do it the way I currently have in my firefighter kits.

the ff21 has 4" tubes in the sponsons that fit inside of another tube that goes through the tub. It is all held together with 4-40 and 2-56 screws.... it is simple, easy, light, and inexpensive.

the ff12 sponsons have tubes that meet and are joined inside of the tub. the 4-40 screws have dual purpose of securing them to the tub and holding them together.

If you have the brittle tubes you will need to use the clamping and/or tape method ala Hawk style. see this post for pics http://www.intlwaters.com/index.php?showtopic=4092&st=0

all of these methods allow the use of shims under the sponson booms for adjustment.

next thing you going to ask is where to get the tubes....

View attachment 1263

tom,

im guessing from the pic that the sponsons are put together incorrectly?

our's have the angled side on the inside.

me an matt will probably end up making several more sets of sponsons, i think we'll build some sort of support inside the sponson to house the rod and have one rod going all the way through the boat and into the second sponson. like matt said easton xx75 camo hunters for the main tube, little carbon rods for the smaller front tube.

Joe

_laxmasta2039 said:
tom,im guessing from the pic that the sponsons are put together incorrectly?

our's have the angled side on the inside.

me an matt will probably end up making several more sets of sponsons, i think we'll build some sort of support inside the sponson to house the rod and have one rod going all the way through the boat and into the second sponson. like matt said easton xx75 camo hunters for the main tube, little carbon rods for the smaller front tube.

Joe
Are you building a FireFighter kit?

Lone Star Balsa for the tubes

The sponsons in the picture are assembled correctly.

tom,

we dont have the kit, all we have are the online plans that i printed off of the computer

pj,

gee thanks bud if you hadnt tol me i wouldnt have known! B)

what i mean is the inside [straight] edge is angled down from top to bottom....

like here's what the transom looks like if your looking at it from the back:

. .

........ that would be the right sponson transom.

what i mean is the inside [straight] edge is angled down from top to bottom....

like here's what the transom looks like if your looking at it from the back

?????????

i dont mean to sound stupid but what have you been smoking little boy :D :D

Latest posts

Back