Spektrum radio system

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
John Equi did the research just e-mail him and see if he still has the regulation it does not specifically state R?C models but it has the loop hole needed to be legal.

Bill Zuber

Hey Craig, I "heard" JR is Spectum so it should work better in thier own radios' right? Makes sense since the "new" spectrum radio is based on the JR XR3 chassis.

I've been running the modules in a JR R-1 and older JR radio all season with no problems. I plan to run it at the NAMBA Nationals.

Lohring Miller

lohring said:
I've been running the modules in a JR R-1 and older JR radio all season with no problems.  I plan to run it at the NAMBA Nationals.
Lohring Miller

106354[/snapback]

Where do you have the anntenea loceted with relation to the pipe? I'm planning to put one in an 1/8th scale Circus Circus. I've been using this system for a few months now in various electric boats and cars with no problems. But now I'm alittle concerned about my nitro 1/8th.

Here's a shot of the rx antenna on a gas hydro that was at the CMBC race last weekend..

cmbc21.jpg

Mark stated he has never had a problem with his system. Talked with another and they stated they tried 3 systems and all had problems. Think it may be luck of the draw...

Has anyone used these radios at a NAMBA sanctioned event yet?

Thanks

Pete

There are maybe 10 off us using the Spektrum system here in RCU and not a problem at all if you can get used to not pulling up an antanna! LOL I use the JR R1 and it is rock solid in my U55 O'Berto. They are being used with the M8 and Futaba's also with not a problem. Sure is nice not dealing with the antenna's on the drivers stand. Not sure how the scoring programs work without the freq being added for the heats. We just use a frq that isn't sellected for the race. Ron

Not pulling the antenna out is the hardest part. I ran the system for a week at the NAMBA Nationals with no radio problems. It didn't help my driving or boat performance, though.

Lohring Miller

I received this little snippet of info from New Zealand Telecom yesterday if anyone is interested...... Relates to devices using 2.4GHz.

Newsletter

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Spektrum system, tx module and reciever in a Drifter S cat. I have had range problems with it. The reciever is mounted on the right transom and the antenna comes out and goes verticle for 4". At the Dist 1 IMPBA races in Elmira 2 weekends ago everytime it got out near bouy 4 it lost the signal. Another thing that really went bad was that the failsafe did not work. When the boat lost the signal the motor went to a low rpm setting. At the pits we turned the xmttr off and the motor did not turn at all. I have contacted Horizon Hobby(the distributor) and they said send it in something is wrong! The manufacturer says 3000' range, we got less than 400'. This better fix it as out here in the booners we are already seeing some conflict with 72-75mhz and BPL in a test zone. The rules and regs have been changed regarding BPL and conflicts with other systems running on 72-75mhz. It used to be that BPL could not cause a conflict, now the regs say nothing is allowed to interfer with BPL. We are the small guys getting dumped on by big business and big brother.

Doug

Another side note is that Castle Creations has a new 72 and 75mhz reciever that is totally encapsulated(waterproof) and has TSR(transmitter signal recognition) and believe me it works! After the radio is turned on the reciever only recognizes the Tx that it was initialized with. They are also developing a 900mhz system that uses true channel hopping and is already FCC approved for 900mhz.

The reason that the Spektrum system has problems with aircraft is that the antennas are very directional. One solution being examined is the use of 4 antennas in a + position. In boat application as well as r/c cars the antenna is almost always verticle, anything else and both cars and boats would not be moving anyways.

Doug

Last edited by a moderator:
For what its worth I have been using the Spectrum in my Gas Hydro for about three weeks now and I haven't seen a single glitch or had a problem. This Module and receiver was sent back to Horizon and had the latest updates put in so I am not sure if that helped or not. My friend also has the system in his hydro and with one receiver that was updated it is flawless but when we tried a new receiver it went into failsafe halfway through the run. Needless to say he is sending that receiver back for the updates.

I just completed my racing season with the Spektrum module in two different JR radios with three receivers. I've run them in gas and nitro boats with no antenna extensions. I have had absolutely no problems. However, I spent some time talking to a friend who ran six different boats and had serious glitching (probably the fail safe cutting in) in the corners. We identified several differences between his and my situation. He has Futaba radios, I have JR; he runs four cell packs, I run five cell packs; he drives from the side of the pond, I usually drive from a drivers stand or a high sided pond.

My thoughts were that the servo draw could be reducing the receiver voltage in the turn, that there is a compatibility issue with Futaba radios, or that the height above the pond increases the range. What are the experiences of others using the system? What seems to be causing your problems? What does Horizon say?

Lohring Miller

My range issues have happened while at pond side and at an elevated stand(20' above the water). The fail-safe didnt work correctly. Running it off a BEC(CC Barracuda 125)on a 12 cell pack. The boat worked great, untill it gets about 350'-400' away. The tx is a hitec CRX aggressor. Horizon Hobby did tell me to send the tx module and both recievers for replacement. I plan on getting a JR tx later this winter, so I will try that route as well. When it works it works great, but when it goes out of range the fail safe does not work right, it actually sets about 10% throttle. But on the shore, turning off the tx sets throttle to OFF. Sucks having the darn boat heading towards the opposite shore!!!

Doug

My range issues have happened while at pond side and at an elevated stand(20' above the water). The fail-safe didnt work correctly. Running it off a BEC(CC Barracuda 125)on a 12 cell pack. The boat worked great, untill it gets about 350'-400' away. The tx is a hitec CRX aggressor. Horizon Hobby did tell me to send the tx module and both recievers for replacement. I plan on getting a JR tx later this winter, so I will try that route as well. When it works it works great, but when it goes out of range the fail safe does not work right, it actually sets about 10% throttle. But on the shore, turning off the tx sets throttle to OFF. Sucks having the darn boat heading towards the opposite shore!!!

Doug
I personally do not own a Spectrum DSM system, so all I can tell you is what I have observed

from club members that do. Two of our club members have had range issues on thier DSM,

Futaba, and JR. The range problem shows up at the far points on a boat race coarse,(bouy 3&4).

The system will failsafe,but not sure correctly, have seen boats still running, not shutting down

throttle completly, even though failsafe had been set to"0" throttle. Not sure about 10%, sounds

close. Also these boats were set on failsafe to turn right, which they did.

Latest posts

Back