Spec FE boat racing..

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
QUESTION

Where does it say that IMPBA has a speced esc.

As far as I have heard, the same proposal for SPEC classes will be sent to both IMPBA and NAMBA.

Larry
Where can I guy go to get a look at the "Spec" class rule proposal?

Thanks,

Doug

What I am wondering about this thread, is has there been some consideration for IMPBA to allow any ESC, just keep the battery voltage and motors the same? Thanks, Mike

What I am wondering about this thread, is has there been some consideration for IMPBA to allow any ESC, just keep the battery voltage and motors the same? Thanks, Mike
The IMPBA doesn't have any rules regarding "Limited" or "Spec" racing. This has all been done at a local level.

The intent of this class USED to be to give the guys that purchased RTRs a place to RACE. IMO it's a shame that we didn't stick with that. <_<

I still don't understand why we need 120 amp controls for 45 and 50 amp motors. Unless of course we no longer care about getting folks to the pond and have focused on just winning races. We allowed ESCs up to 125 amps in D-13 but I'll be honest with you, I went kicking and screaming. This was done to accomodate some D-3 guys that were racing in our GP series. I'm glad to say all of the AMB FE members and some of the D-3 members are still running the RTR controls, and still having a blast racing these classes. (P-Limited Sport hydro, P-Limited O/B Tunnel, and P-Limited Hydro).

Just my opinions. I could go on but I don't want to kick that hornets nest.

Flame suit on, but if it's needed I won't be back. ;) LOL

All the best,

Doug

Doug,

If the motor timing is making a big difference like Brain Buaas stated above, then I understand limiting controllers. I personally had no idea that helped so much. My 28" Woodstuff is already pulling away from the nitro tunnels as it is, so I doubt they would like to see me go any faster. I would just like to know what the real rules in IMPBA are about ESC's when mixing nitro and FE boats in the same class. Mike

I think were getting off topic with Grim's thread.

However I would like to note that I am one of those guy's that run an expensive high end esc's in all my spec set ups. (YGE) In fact all my race boats run YGE's. This keeps everything simplistic for me and I like playing with high end stuff. And I have never cooked a YGE. Gives me room to be stupid.

I race against all my local guy's and sister clubs. I travel the US to race. The majority of those I raced against are running the Stock esc's, Castles or Hackers. I have yet to see where my ESC has given me an advantage. I have not won that many races with spec boats.

I am sure that on bench testing or gps readings you may see it as Brian has stated. But IMO the esc is just one small piece of the puzzle.

Doug

There are no rules when it comes to mixing power types... And from the IMBPAs standpoint why would they?

Lets make an effort to grow together, separately.. If that takes running FE with nitro or gas to grow then by all means lets do it.. but the “my FE boat is faster then your Nito boat” is getting really old… we know.. we know… we don’t care………

I HATE it when people compare FE to nitro or gas.. I gota tell ya.. the nitro and gas guys could care less.. its always the FE guys making the comparisons.. small, slow electric boat syndrome from years past… nitro boaters don’t care…………..

I race both so don’t think I don’t “get it”

Nitro boaters know what its like to struggle to fill classes too.. they know more racers "can" make for better racing.. they have the shirt and its well worn.

The reason for my post was to TRY to get some idea of where FE boat racing might be going..(it truly is part of my job) and it looks quite the same as it has in years past..

Very little has changed regarding some peoples vision to JUST win..(to bad really.. I did not think that would change…) and to me that’s to bad.. FE racers have a GREAT opportunity (RIGHT NOW) to set the stage for the future of RC boat racing yet the impression Im getting is its more about “a win” then better boating for all.

I see some people posting that have been at this awhile. They know the trials and tribulations of growing RC boating.. if one was to read those posts and take the time to see the bigger picture the painting would or could be a Picasso!

Thanks all for posting!

Grim

As a fairly new boater I like the Spec rules laying out exactly what esc's and motors you can use. It makes getting into a new class a little less intimidating. I know very little about the electric boats, and have been able to put a P-Spec tunnel together, and be competative at the WTC's. One thing I have noticed about R/C boat racing is there are not very many classes where a guy can go into the local hobby store, and buy a boat off the shelf, and be some what competive. P-Spec kinda fills that gap. If you want to expand the class to include other esc's that's fine, but there needs to be a limit some where. If you don't it will end up like B-Sport Tunnel class where you have a Mod motor that is just "Stock" in apperence. R/C boat racing needs a few more classes that draw in dad and little Tommy. Where dad doesn't have to shell out $1000.00 or more to be competative. It's hard to do that with both Nitro and Gas classes because you have to be very dedicated and have some mechanical ability to tune the engines in them. The FE' s are a little more Plug 'N' Play.

Yes you can find cheaper ESC's out there, but you have to do some hunting to find them, if your new to the hobby. But that $60.00 ESC isn't going to keep up with a Hydra240 that's $200.00-$300.00. I guess what I'm trying to say is the class is good now, and you could expand the list of ESC's and Motors you can run. But that is just going to lead to more and more in the future, and sooner or latter the class will be basically full on P classes boats. If you don't agree with the rules of the class don't run in it.

Where would one go to find out what motors, ecs's and batteries are needed to build one of these boats? Specifically OB.

~Bill

Where would one go to find out what motors, ecs's and batteries are needed to build one of these boats? Specifically OB.

~Bill

Oh Bill, Man, you just missed it. They JUST stopped making the batteries, esc's and motors yesterday. haha, Mike

Well, for P-spec OB tunnel, you gotta run either the Aquacraft UL-1 motor/ esc, the Aquacraft SV27 motor/ esc, or the Proboat Blackjack 26 motor/ esc. 4 cell lipo battery packs are all that is allowed. They put out 14.8volts nominal, and max at 16.8volts. What hull you gonna try out? Mike

Well, for P-spec OB tunnel, you gotta run either the Aquacraft UL-1 motor/ esc, the Aquacraft SV27 motor/ esc, or the Proboat Blackjack 26 motor/ esc. 4 cell lipo battery packs are all that is allowed. They put out 14.8volts nominal, and max at 16.8volts. What hull you gonna try out? Mike
Like a pair of these batteries ?

Hull would be a Lynx of course.

Bill, With the nice WOF hull you build, I would suggest using it over a Lynx in all honesty. I am a firm believer in getting the most buoyancy you can in an FE tunnel. Thats just me tho. Mike

On the batteries, one 4cell (4s1p) 4000-5000mah pack would work better than 2-2cell packs.

Bill,

My hope are that some day when it comes to Spec class racing one never has to ask.. what do i need?

AND

I hope that question never goes away with "open end" racing.

Truth is regardless of power system...

Grim

Here's a P-Spec OPC heat from WW VI in AZ last Feb. There were two first-year racers in this heat doin' just fine - [one of whom took second place behind the famous Dan Proulx and ahead of the infamous Dave Newland !]. I hope this answers the question " Does it get any better than this for the money ? "

Last edited by a moderator:
Where can I guy go to get a look at the "Spec" class rule proposal?

Thanks,

Doug
NAMBA's? Greeley, Colorado on Thursday, August 19th. My pit table at 6:00. Bring a cooler. It's still a work in progress, but as it relates to the P-Limited Power Parameter, it's a done deal. I've done enough racing, research and talked to enough racers across the country to firmly say that. See the Rumrunner thread last week for more information as it relates to the P-Limited Power Parameter.

Keep in mind that the National Rules are really there for National events. I understand that the book is used as a reference for local clubs, but they have always had the freedom to change anything they feel necessary to foster/grow their club.

I haven't seen an advantage come raceday when it comes to ESC timing adjustments. Also, the "spec motor only" horse has already left the barn and the reason for it is because many of us are using equipment that otherwise collects dust. Some feel more comfortable using electronics they already know. Some can find a better unit for less than a "spec" ESC. Some like Castle's USA support. Some don't want to buy 3 or 4 spec motors to outfit their boats, then have to also buy 3-4 spec ESC's as well when they have perfectly good equipment already on the shelf. Then there's the whole discussion that the BJ and AQ ESC's are not the same when it comes to timing. Where does it end??

I'm willing to live with and accept the potential performance advantage one could have if they choose an adjustable timing ESC. Many others are, too, as it's just one of many tuning items one can do with a Limited setup. Frankly, it's a bit odd to me that we would limit our ability to run these motors more efficiently.

I'm also willing to accept that some experienced racers get better performance out of a spec boat because they have mad prop skills, or choose to drop way more money on various prop choices over other non-spec raceboats they have.

I also accept racers going to full ball bearing struts/wire drives to get better performance out of a spec boat.

I also accept hulls being blue-printed, or being one off's, or specifically designed to maximize spec power.

We've been working under agreement that we stick with the same 4 motors. That's it. And P-Limited racing has grown immensely. It has been the best common denominator for FE racers across the country than anything we've raced before.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bill, With the nice WOF hull you build, I would suggest using it over a Lynx in all honesty. I am a firm believer in getting the most buoyancy you can in an FE tunnel. Thats just me tho. Mike

On the batteries, one 4cell (4s1p) 4000-5000mah pack would work better than 2-2cell packs.
Mike,

Due to contractual obligation, running a SniperII is not going to be possible as I am now a driver for Ron and team Lynx. (Plug here, Race one or chase one!) What brand etc, 4s1p batt. do you recommend?

Grimmy,

I agree 100%

~Bill

Back