Spec FE boat racing..

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grimracer

Lets here what you guys have to say about what the intent of Spec class racing is or means.

ROCK IT

Grim

Lets here what you guys have to say about what the intent of Spec class racing is or means.

ROCK IT

Grim

Mike, I can't speak for anyone but myself, but here's why I like Spec class [ and three out of my five raceboats are Spec class]

1] Affordable

2] driveable speeds for the driving impaired {me}

3] relative level playing field

4] opens door for new racers - adds to the numbers of future racers

5] good practice which leads to stepping up to other classes

Good one Doug! Hope you are well in Sunny Wisconsin! Mmmm Wisconsin!

Propper, thanks for chiming in!

Grim

To me, Spec racing, is to help even the playing level, and put the advantage strictly up to the driver. If you can drive well, you can win. You have set motors, esc's( although I don't agree with using the small controllers spec requires), and battery voltage. Also, not only driving, but it makes people learn how to set a boat up correctly to gain higher speeds, not just power threw bad setups.

Another note, I discussed the B tunnel outboard nitro class with Dick Loeb, and I told him that being allowed to modify the internals of an OS Max 21 outboard, or K&B outboard should not be allowed in the stock class. That takes the stock right out of it, and I am very surprised its allowed. Its nothing more than a way for the people with more money to get ahead. If you have to do that, just go into the mod B class. There has to be a place for new drivers to go right?

Back to my disagreement with using only spec controllers. I think up to a 90 or 120 amp controller should be allowed with the UL-1, SV 27 and BJ motors. Its a safety and reliability thing to me. You will only be able to prop up so much with a spec motor before it gets thermally hot. Having a bigger controller will help reduce failures and money spent. Try not to take this the wrong way, but to me, forcing spec ESC's is a marketing tool used by the manufacturers to help sell more of that product. Not allowing another company's 60a controller, or even a comparable motor I still do not understand, but it is what it is.

Thank is all, Mike Luszcz

Let me deciper.. let me know if this is right.

1. To even the playing field and put the race back into the drivers hands

2. To control the motors and voltage but not the ESC (in your opinion)

3. To gain knolage on setup

Is this right?

Grim

Absolutely Grim!

The ONLY reason I question the controllers, is the motors that are allowed, all can handle about the same watts of power, so the ESC's being bigger should just provide a safety factor. I also think capacitor banks are must. I will say this tho, the 60a UL-1 controller is a tough cookie with a cap bank.

Mike

to me the spec boats are all of the above. it is similar to nascar, the main purpose is to level the playing feild. set-up is everything and lowering the cost doesnt come into play because the money from the expensive motor/esc's is being spent elswhere on batteries, hulls, hardware and weight savings. with the spec stuff it all comes down to building, set-up, driving skills and the choice of the right components

Mike

Back to my disagreement with using only spec controllers.
Not sure where you race but everywhere I have traveled to race (Michigan, Minnesota, Arizona and more to places to go, including the Colorado NAMBA Nats) the esc is NOT speced. In fact future rules proposals in NAMBA will NOT include a speced esc.

There are many racers utilizing little better quality esc's than stock that are already owned, etc. The general consensus is that the speced motor is the fuse/limiter.

Doug

Save electric racing from he who has the most bucks wins. It's easy to put $1500.00 power plant into a P hydro. I know that many people just passed by the electrics because of that. Now P Spec comes along with a $60.00 motor ,$70 Speed controller and $80.00 worth of batteries and you have a nice drivable boat that does .21 hydro speeds with little running expenses. It got me back into Electrics in addition to my Nitro and Gas. I hope that you leave the controller alone in the spec racing in the interest of expense and reliability. I run a $60.00 120 Amp controller that gives me a little adjust ability and reliability and gives a guy a little to tune with in addition the the hull and prop. Like any sport you will always have the guy that puts his time in the prop, hull, and setup to win but at least P Spec has made things affordable without being too restrictive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Eric, you actually answered my question about ESC's. A turnigy 120a is only like $60, where the spec controllers for IMPBA are $80-90! That is why I would LOVE to be able to use whatever controller we can. My posts about controllers was in regard to IMPBA who limits ESC;s. I had heard Namba was open to anything now. Mike

Eric, you actually answered my question about ESC's. A turnigy 120a is only like $60, where the spec controllers for IMPBA are $80-90! That is why I would LOVE to be able to use whatever controller we can. My posts about controllers was in regard to IMPBA who limits ESC;s. I had heard Namba was open to anything now. Mike
Mike, that is the exact controller I use, Turnigy 120 Marine. I hope that when we get a set of rules submitted for a vote to NAMBA they go with the no restrictions on the speed controller or if they have to put a dollar limit or Amp limit so we can have the option of the controller like the HobbyWing, Turnigy... It would appear that most NAMBA clubs and all in District 8 allow any controller you want to use. I think Darin J. runs a castle and so far it has not helped him beat me or the others in PSMBFE that run big dollar controllers. Now Brian B. is another story but that is a case of him putting in the time to figure out what works best not a case of a better controller. I think Hobby King gets $49.00 for the one I run and the program card is another $8.00.

QUESTION

Where does it say that IMPBA has a speced esc.

As far as I have heard, the same proposal for SPEC classes will be sent to both IMPBA and NAMBA.

Larry

ROCK IT

Grim
It's fun. We have a good group of P specers in our little club. Pretty equal speeds makes for good racing. Now to figure out how to finish races!

P.S. since we are doing a little bench racing....I'm pretty sure I have the fastest P spec boat in the WORLD :rolleyes: . I hope you all get to come on down to Colorado in August so I can prove it!

It's fun. We have a good group of P specers in our little club. Pretty equal speeds makes for good racing. Now to figure out how to finish races!

P.S. since we are doing a little bench racing....I'm pretty sure I have the fastest P spec boat in the WORLD :rolleyes: . I hope you all get to come on down to Colorado in August so I can prove it!

What class

P - Spec - Hydro

P - Spec - Sport Hydro

P - Spec - Offshore

P - Spec - OPC

Larry

ROCK IT

Grim

I hope to be there!

Grim

I did some motor/esc/timing/switching rate testing this weekend. I've got a stack of ESCs floating around the shop. I tested the UL-1, SeaKing, CC Hydra, Schulze.

There was far more advantage with the adjustable ESCs than I thought. I'd been running the UL-1 ESC in my spec class boats and not losing many heats. I didn't realise how much I was giving up to the guys running adjustable ESCs. I'm not going to give up a double digit rpm percentage just to run the UL-1 ESC. The SeaKing is good, the Hydra is better, the Schulze wasn't happy at all.

So I put the Hydra 120 in my Spec rigger, cranked the timing up and went testing. The boat was quick before, it's fast now. In marginal conditions it now exits the corner at 59mph and enters at 66mph and that's not running the big prop.

All else being equal, if the ESCs are left open there's an advantage to adjustable timing. Of the ESCs I've tested, I got the most out of the Hydra and it wasn't a small margin. So much for cheap ESC's for spec.

I'd rather see the ESCs spec'd for these classes, but I also know I'm in the minority on this.

Mike

Back to my disagreement with using only spec controllers.
Not sure where you race but everywhere I have traveled to race (Michigan, Minnesota, Arizona and more to places to go, including the Colorado NAMBA Nats) the esc is NOT speced. In fact future rules proposals in NAMBA will NOT include a speced esc.

There are many racers utilizing little better quality esc's than stock that are already owned, etc. The general consensus is that the speced motor is the fuse/limiter.

Doug
Doug I think that came from some old (DJ) /NAMBA rules that the CMB and D-12 adopted.

Doug S.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back