South Carolina Championship

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Guys,

we knocked the bottom outta those puppies on lap five with 12s-2p and lap on seven with 10s-2p...

Li-Po's and NiMH's would have failed as well under the same circumstances...
HMMMM, I must be lucky I guess. Haven't killed any cells in my open boats yet, lipo or nimh.

Paul.

read the post Paul...

we tried to get by on 4200 mAh of Li-Ion M1 cells and they didn't make the trip in our FE-42 open mono set-up...

it was our last in a series of tests we ran over a four month period with the a123 cells to gain first-hand knowledge of thier potential...

not a big deal, we enjoyed the all fast electric class rounds very much and had a great weekend...

if ya tried 4200 mAh [total] Li-Po's they would have done the dump-n-puff dance and been history...

and 32 sub-c's would have been 200 plus degree's after dumping and most likely vented...

10,000 mAh of Li-Po's on the other hand, is a safe bet if you can afford to put $800.00 bucks plus into batteries for one class to run once a year...

Ron
To run with the big boys you got to spend some bucks. Embarassing. Thats exactly why most gassers think of us as second class racers. Dumps, bad starts, tech problems.

We need to kick these guys butts. Not show up and Dump. A123 are not going to cut it. 10k lipos will if you want to compete. Ron, one race a year? There are dozens of races to got to. Cinci, Dayton, Indy, Seville, Lodi, Michigan, Canada.

Do some research on clubs within driving distances.

Racing Open Mono is not a budget race......Now lets go kick some gass ass....

To run with the big boys you got to spend some bucks. Embarassing. Thats exactly why most gassers think of us as second class racers. Dumps, bad starts, tech problems.
I don't know which "gassers" think of you as "second class racers", but similar problems happen to everyone. If you want evidence, just look at the number of DNS and DNF in any given race.

I loved seeing the FE guys jump in head first with the Nitro boats!! The only problem I saw with the combination was going through the turns on a smooth arc with the FE boats. It's the only way that you can know how the boat next to you is going through the turn. Darty in the turns is hard to drive beside. FE is definitely up and coming, just work on the sensitivity of your steering settings on your radios and we'll be side by side having a Blast racing both Formulas together!! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='piper_chuck' date='Oct 12 2006, 05:12 PM'

I don't know which "gassers" think of you as "second class racers", but similar problems happen to everyone. If you want evidence, just look at the number of DNS and DNF in any given race.

Piper Chuck,

thanks and i agree, i am not embarrased or too awefully disappointed for that matter...

i tried a battery set-up based on mfg's claims and it didn't pan out...

i learned by trying and had a great time at the '2006 S.C.C. and that's fine by me...

our all electric Q-Mono class was a blast... yhanks for have'n us!

if whoop'n up on nitro to prove a point had been my quest i might be a little upset :blink: but it wasn't...

Ron

Howard,

As the President of the CMB club, I can assure you that invitation to the FE racers was to give them a racing venue and for the non-FE racers to see them in action for the first time. That was achieved with great success. There were no second class racers at our race, PERIOD. All first class guys with first rate boats and attitudes. Their battery packs need to be evaluated as any of our gas and nitro engines need to be reviewed after every race. Nothing different. No embarassment in the least and since you were not there your evaluation is not worth much. Heck, my 40 rigger was an embarassment for me after running on Friday and did not on Sat & Sun. A wad of C-4 is what it needs. We all have issues at races and I am sure you do too.

Scott Norris is right about the steering and the darting. And not in just the turns. Happened in the straights and boats were being driven against traffic at times. The first Q-1 heat gave our CD's a near heart attack with the spin outs. Got much better as the race went on. Something to work on for next time however.

John

We need to kick these guys butts. Not show up and Dump. A123 are not going to cut it. 10k lipos will if you want to compete. Ron, one race a year? There are dozens of races to got to. Cinci, Dayton, Indy, Seville, Lodi, Michigan, Canada.

Do some research on clubs within driving distances.

Racing Open Mono is not a budget race......Now lets go kick some gass ass....

Howard,

I think that you are mislead on several items. !st, I raced in the B-Mono class (my FE vs. Nitro). I ran 7 laps on a 1/6th mile course without any runtime problem using NIMH 3600. My speeds were comparable to those of Nitro. So, 1) you are mislead on spending a lot of money to bigger items to get run times and speeds. 2) We were invited to attend this race because FE racing is quickly collapsing. FE club are reducing in numbers all around the country. In the spirit of sport CMB allowed us an opportunity to race and participate with them because there was no other venue. So you are mislead in the thought that FE'ers have the right to be as cocky as you are being in your thread 3) Our FE boat dumped just about as much as the Nitro and Gas folks. That is part of the racing and excitement. Lots of unpredictability. It was humbling aftrer races and in preparation of races that the Nitro guys and Gas guys offered years of racing experience to help us trim our boats even though we were preparing to race them. 3) You are mislead in the feeling that it is a Gas vs. Nitro vs. FE competition. You comment about kicking gass ass is not a welcomed statement down south in District 13. If that is your feelings then you need to stay up North. However, if you believe in the sport and the survival of FE, I would encourage you to accept an invitation of entering into a race with a FE boat at a Nitro and Gas race with a humbled attitude and allow them to mentor you. If you come in cocky you will not be welcomed back.

LiPos are not the answer. I believe in the advancement of technology. However, they are expensive and are not easy for an entry level FE to race. Thus making it difficult to get our numbers up.

Ribbing is good and in some ways heathy, but it is not necessary. Come race with us, the FE'ers, next October in the 2007 SCC. It will be a blast.

r,

SCboatman

I loved seeing the FE guys jump in head first with the Nitro boats!! The only problem I saw with the combination was going through the turns on a smooth arc with the FE boats. It's the only way that you can know how the boat next to you is going through the turn. Darty in the turns is hard to drive beside. FE is definitely up and coming, just work on the sensitivity of your steering settings on your radios and we'll be side by side having a Blast racing both Formulas together!! :D

Scott,

John was bringing that same topic up with me after the last B-Mono race....you remeber the one that we collided and still finished 1st and 2nd :rolleyes: I'm not sure if you knew this or not, but most of the FE'ers were newbies to the racing seen. So some of the dartiness was due to lack of experience on the bouys. Lately I have been overcoming that with "taking the bouy out" :p You know, if it is not in your way you dont have to worry about it the next time around. :D

Thanks again for allowing us to run with you. We'll try to be a little more predictable in the turns next year.

r,

SCBoatman

Hi Guys,

we knocked the bottom outta those puppies on lap five with 12s-2p and lap on seven with 10s-2p...

Li-Po's and NiMH's would have failed as well under the same circumstances...
HMMMM, I must be lucky I guess. Haven't killed any cells in my open boats yet, lipo or nimh.

Paul.

Yeah that makes two of us Paul. Hey Jim how did you make out?
Alan,

I finished second in Open Mono at the Fall Classic here in District 7. We didn't have any of the gas/nitro/electric rivalry, just a great bunch of hardcore boat racers having a blast at the best R/C Boat Racing facility in the world. The weather and barbeque was perfect too. My boat performed flawlessly, and was leading after four rounds, but we put the hammer down in the last heat, and a crash took me out. It was exciting, and I think we may have some more Open Electric monos to race with here next season! I hope we can get everyone down here in the Spring.

Lighten up guys. I belong to the Distric 2 Performance Model Boat club. I know nothing about gas motors. I know a lot about setting up boats and finishing races. I am all for great compitition and fun.

Alan and I have been doing this for 15 years plus.

I would love to come meet and race with you guys. October is tough that is our big all electric race.

I know of a few races this spring and summer that are offering electric and combo classes that I will be attending.

Ron think about attending the race in Arizona and then Michigan or Canada. Maybe even our race that is going to be held in conjuction with the gassers this year.

One more thing. I am not claiming that gassers think we are second rate. I am making the statement that most think that we can't finnish 7 or 8 laps and loose speed at the end of the race.

When we are invited to run i want to make a respectable showing and even win a few, not just show off the tech. A boats a boat I don't care how you power it.

Again guys lighten up...This is a hobby for cryin out load.

I think that you are mislead on several items....FE racing is quickly collapsing. FE club are reducing in numbers all around the country.
I think I know someone else who is mislead. Not only is FE growing in many areas, it is getting more and more converts from fuel racers. If FE is "quickly collapsing", then why do we have twice the number of FE boaters in Texas today than we did this time last year, with more joining all the time? Why is the NW such a hotbed of FE racing, and continually growing? I don't think that Florida is losing FE boaters. Arizona is certainly strong, as is Canada. Just where is this "quick collapse" supposedly happening? The hobby is changing, but I see no evfidence of a "quick collapse" all around the country - it just ain't happening.

While I'm definitely a nitro sniffer, I really enjoyed watching the electric boats race and was glad to pass along any information I could in the interest of boating.

It's at this point that I'm reminded of the expression, "it's all good"!

Hi Guys,

read the post Paul...
I did, and my answer was I haven't hurt any lipos OR nimh cells.

and 32 sub-c's would have been 200 plus degree's after dumping and most likely vented...
Sorry but, I raced in the open mono and cat classes with 3700 sub-Cs and did well. Several 1st wood to show for it. NEVER hurt a cell. When I moved to lipos a 10S 5000 pack was all I used, again never hurting a cell. (on a 2280)

Now I run a Hurricane with a 3080 and need to run a 10S2P 3700 lipo pack, it's a power hungry motor and knowing that I run more capacity. I pull about 4800mAh a run, 8 laps including 2 mill and one finish lap.

You have to do the math and know the setups before hand, then you don't hurt parts.

Paul.

Hi Guys,

read the post Paul...
You have to do the math and know the setups before hand, then you don't hurt parts.

Paul.
Paul,

our set-up on 10s-2p M1's made 7.5 laps in one test run but damaged one or more cells in doing so...

i tried to get by with a close-call set-up and it didn't fly...

i learned from my mistake and will live to run another day...

not a big deal on this end...

W. Ron Green

Ron,

you might convince some folks of your genius and how you never hurt parts or make mis-calculations but save it for those rookies who don't know any better...
Ron, if you wish to call me a liar please say it straight out. I belive if you check around you'll find that what I've said is 100% accurate. You may not like it but that's the way it is. And don't think for one minute I'm a keyboard warrior. If and when you meet me in person I'm much more vocal, I won't dummy down the conversation like I do on the boards.

Paul.

Ron,
you might convince some folks of your genius and how you never hurt parts or make mis-calculations but save it for those rookies who don't know any better...
Ron, if you wish to call me a liar please say it straight out. I belive if you check around you'll find that what I've said is 100% accurate. You may not like it but that's the way it is. And don't think for one minute I'm a keyboard warrior. If and when you meet me in person I'm much more vocal, I won't dummy down the conversation like I do on the boards.

Paul.

Paul, I have never known you to be so bashful and shy. :D :D :D See you in Jackson?

Ron,

Paul.

Paul,

If you had accepted your personal invitation to attend our race maybe you could have lent some of your vast knowledge and assist them with the battery issue. However since you choose to go elsewhere we all shall live with the results. And leave it there.

One other thing too, all of you check the ego's and bravado's at the door. If you ever expect to attend any future CMB races, you best do it or you will be packing up very early. And I can promise all of you that will occur. The CMB club sponsors races that are fun and enjoyable for all. If you have other intentions, go elsewhere. We are not the WWF. Get it and grow up.

John

CMB President

Hello John,

If you had accepted your personal invitation to attend our race maybe you could have lent some of your vast knowledge and assist them with the battery issue. However since you choose to go elsewhere we all shall live with the results. And leave it there.
I would have loved to come to your race but the Ohio race may have been the last one the club held. I travel all across the country to race and maybe before you throw daggers my way you should check around and see what other nitro/gas boaters have to say about me.

One other thing too, all of you check the ego's and bravado's at the door. If you ever expect to attend any future CMB races, you best do it or you will be packing up very early. And I can promise all of you that will occur. The CMB club sponsors races that are fun and enjoyable for all. If you have other intentions, go elsewhere. We are not the WWF. Get it and grow up.
As the club president you may want to step back a moment and think about that statement. I don't need to be threatened like that, there's plenty of racing around and at this moment I'm not getting a warm fuzzy from you. I'm 44 years old and boats are what I do for a living, as far as egos go I'm about as laid back as they come in that regard.

Paul.

Hello John,

I would have loved to come to your race but the Ohio race may have been the last one the club held. I travel all across the country to race and maybe before you throw daggers my way you should check around and see what other nitro/gas boaters have to say about me.

As the club president you may want to step back a moment and think about that statement. I don't need to be threatened like that, there's plenty of racing around and at this moment I'm not getting a warm fuzzy from you. I'm 44 years old and boats are what I do for a living, as far as egos go I'm about as laid back as they come in that regard.

Paul.

Paul,

It is rather simple for me. Your reply to Ron was not in the spirit of racing and had a note of turning a CMB race into a personal battleground. It will not be tolerated at any of our races and is why I replied accordingly and I stand with it. If you take that not as a warm and fuzzy so be it. You do not know me either and have not spoken with me, ever. The welfare of the club and races come first with me.

Rather than challenging Ron on what he said and the accuracy of what he stated, and since you were not there, why not work WITH him towards a solution. What he stated was indeed accurate. That is to the best interest of the FE racing community I would think. You threw the daggers first. So end it.

You are still welcome to any of our races. I know that all will benefit from your knowledge and experience. There is absolutely no FE racing in the southeast US and we are trying to provide a venue for it to start. A fertile ground for sure. But come in with a good and fun attitude to enjoy racing and all will have a good time.

BTW, I am considerably older than you. I am retiring next year.

John

Yes Paul,

It would have been alot more fun to run against a whole 5 q monos than attend our race.

Get a grip guys. Ron has been rubbing us wrong and sending very immature emails just becouse we know what we are doing...he thinks it's ego. When you guys finally wake up and smell the coffee it'll be to late.

Email from Ron Green:

people who feel the need to vocally hearld thier own accomplishments while trivializing and down-playing those of others are not fun to be around... (MAYBE HE SHOULD LOOK AT HIS SIG POSTED BELOW)

W. Ron Green

--------------------

Team F.U.B.A.R. Racing............. Winter Park, Florida

Harvey Wild Thing 32........ Q-Mono, Neu 1512 3DS

Seaducer FE-33.........Q-Mono SAWS, Neu 1515 1YS*

Seaducer FE-38...........S-Mono SAWS, Neu 1521 1YF

Seaducer FE-42.......T-Mono SAWS, Neu 2215 1.5YF*

Harvey Atlas-29.........P-Sport Hydro, Neu 1515 1YS

Harvey Atlas-26...............Limited Sport, Cordite SS1

DH Shovel-25..........N-2 Sport Hydro, Neu 1509 1YS*

Seaducer Gas Sport Hydro.........................in-progress

current I.M.P.B.A. 1/16th mile class record holder [N-2 Sport Hydro, Q-Mono, and T-Mono] member 70 mph club mono [s&T]

I.M.P.B.A........................ # 19616 S....................... District 3 "

Gee now that's in the spirit of racing.

Back