South Carolina Championship

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scboatman00

Ladies and Gentleman,

This last weekend, October 6-8, IMPBA District 13 hosted the first ever FE class race (Q- Mono). The Q Mono class was sponsered by A123 Racing and there were five entries....Chris Harris, Ron Green, Doug Smock, Chris Gierszewski, and Don Sallee (me). It was an extremely exciting weekend. Chris Harris and Ron Green also entered in the Open Mono.

We turned a few heads this weekend with our showing of FE. We have been invited to race again next year during the South Carolina Championships (it will be hosted sometime around September October timeframe). Mark your calenders and lets race. Q Mono will of course be offered. However, if we have 4 entries, we can open a new class.

Thanks to A123 Racing for supporting the class and a special thanks to Chris, Ron, Doug, and Chris for making the trip so that the Q Mono Class could race.

Race Results Q Mono:

1st Place - Chris Harris

2nd Place - Doug Smock

3rd Place - Don Sallee (also placed 2nd in B mono)

Unfortunately, we were not able to complete the open mono due to some technical difficulties.

Thanks again guys for coming up. For those who are thinking about racing please consider joining and signing up for Q Mono during next years South Carolina Championships. It will be a blast and you will have plenty of support from not only other FE'ers, but also the Gas and Nitro Bubbas. It is truely equal opportunity racing.

PIX to come soon.

r,

SCBoatman

Blue Water Racing

What happened in Open Mono?

First heat, the boat flipped and we got a did not start

Second Heat, we got hit by a nitro mono, flipped the boat, craked the hull lines on both sides and also but a hole in it. Ron Green and Chris Harris worked to patch and re reace.

Third heat, the boat shut down after five laps (another did not finish)

Fouth heat - did not enter.

It was an unbelivable race. I went into the race in two classes (B-Mono racing with Nitros) and Q Mono (FE). I was cocky in the fact that as long as I can keep the boat upright I could finish. My speeds were right in line with the B- Mono Nitro bubbas. But at the end of the day, I flipped the boat one and got a did not finish. Of the remaining heats I finished second. However during the course of the weekend my FE was hit by a nitro boat twice.

If anyone is keeping score it was three Nitro vs. FE crashes. It put the FE guys out of the race two out of three times. Still had a lot of fun.

r,

SCBoatman

I enjoyed seeing you guys run. Next year, we need to come up with a better way to start. Those of us helping pit felt quite sillly standing there holding silent boats for 2 minutes waiting for the 30 second mark so we could throw your boats in the water.

Race Results Q Mono:1st Place - Chris Harris

2nd Place - Doug Smock

Are you certain these results are correct? I ask only because a different order of finish was posted elsewhere.

2nd Place - Doug Smock

Are you certain these results are correct? I ask only because a different order of finish was posted elsewhere.

2007 S.C.C. [Q-Mono] results

1st Harris

2nd Green

3rd Sallee

W.R.G.

oops... 2006 S.C.C. Q-Mono results :huh:

1st C. Harris, 2nd R. Green, 3rd D. Sallee

Ron

What happened in Open Mono?

Jim,

we didn't have time to test our Open Mono entry 2215 1.5Y Seaducer FE-42 prior to going to South Carolina and the SCC...

open water day we tried a123 M1 cells in 12s-2p turning a X455 and although the boat was very fast, it only made 5 of the 7 laps we needed to run in the open class and the cells dumped...

next test run we went down to 10s-2p M1's and made 7 laps but just barely...

we tried to re-charge the 10s-2p M1 pack for another test but found we had damaged the packs on the previous seven lap test run...

at that point we realized that M1's in our BAM powered Seaducer FE-42 were not going to get the job done running the minimum seven laps!

i let Chris run my Seaducer FE-38 [Q-Mono] "Ringer" in open mono on [18] IB4200's but it was clearly out-classed by the F-Mono nitro entries of Fred Lum Jr. and Scott Norris...

we retired the entry after two rounds...

Ron

2nd Place - Doug Smock

Ron,

Sorry about that. I was just still a little excitted about the weekend. And I may still be tring to clean my systems from all the Nitro fumes. :rolleyes:

Thanks for setting the record straight. For some reason I thought you guys ran three heats on Open Mono.

r,

SCBoatman

I enjoyed seeing you guys run. Next year, we need to come up with a better way to start. Those of us helping pit felt quite sillly standing there holding silent boats for 2 minutes waiting for the 30 second mark so we could throw your boats in the water.

Yeap...It was pretty funny when Scott Norris asked if you guys wanted a cup of coffee while we were waiting to launch. Appreciate the help. Looking forward to the next SCC race already.

r,

SCBoatman

Ron,

What length course was run at the South Carolina race?

Jim,

in all fairness to a123's Li-Ion M1 cells, we asked more from them than they could give...

asking for seven laps on a 1/6th mile course from 12s-2p and 10s-2p turning a X455 in our 2215 1.5YF 'BAM' powered Seaducer FE-42 was more than thier collective 4200 mAh could deliver...

we knocked the bottom outta those puppies on lap five with 12s-2p and lap on seven with 10s-2p...

Li-Po's and NiMH's would have failed as well under the same circumstances...

to run them in open mono would require a much tamer set-up or a 3p configuration at the least...

but "Capital One" was a rocket till she ran outta gas :huh: i mean amp's...

Ron

Ron,

I'm not surprised that it took 4200maH to run that 1/6 mile course. I was racing Open Mono last weekend in the LSMBC Fall Classic here in Houston, and running with 10,000maH Lipos I used 4000 to 4200maH running 7 laps on that same course. Have you found that running the A123 cells complete empty does some damage to them, or do they come back just fine?

Ron,

I'm not surprised that it took 4200maH to run that 1/6 mile course. I was racing Open Mono last weekend in the LSMBC Fall Classic here in Houston, and running with 10,000maH Lipos I used 4000 to 4200maH running 7 laps on that same course. Have you found that running the A123 cells complete empty does some damage to them, or do they come back just fine?
Jim,

we've found at least one bad cell in three of the six packs we ran till dump under a [100 amp] load...

i can say from first hand experience, running M1 cells till they dump under heavy load conditions [100 amps] plus can and will damage cells...

Ron

Hi Guys,

we knocked the bottom outta those puppies on lap five with 12s-2p and lap on seven with 10s-2p...

HMMMM, I must be lucky I guess. Haven't killed any cells in my open boats yet, lipo or nimh.

Paul.

Hi Guys,

HMMMM, I must be lucky I guess. Haven't killed any cells in my open boats yet, lipo or nimh.

Paul.

Yeah that makes two of us Paul. Hey Jim how did you make out?

Hi Guys,

Paul.

read the post Paul...

we tried to get by on 4200 mAh of Li-Ion M1 cells and they didn't make the trip in our FE-42 open mono set-up...

it was our last in a series of tests we ran over a four month period with the a123 cells to gain first-hand knowledge of thier potential...

not a big deal, we enjoyed the all fast electric class rounds very much and had a great weekend...

if ya tried 4200 mAh [total] Li-Po's they would have done the dump-n-puff dance and been history...

and 32 sub-c's would have been 200 plus degree's after dumping and most likely vented...

10,000 mAh of Li-Po's on the other hand, is a safe bet if you can afford to put $800.00 bucks plus into batteries for one class to run once a year...

Ron

Ron nice to meet you and the guys, I hope to have some type of FE for next year.

ditto Brent...

it was a pleasure meeting you as well...

let's exchange email addy's and phone numbers and get together before the '2007 SCC...

we're not too far apart and i could use your help with my Seaducer [Gas] Sport Hydro set-up in exchange for my share'n FE tips for your new fast electric build :rolleyes:

sounds like a plan...

[email protected]

Ron

Ron nice to meet you and the guys, I hope to have some type of FE for next year.

ditto Brent...

it was a pleasure meeting you as well...

let's exchange email addy's and phone numbers and get together before the '2007 SCC...

we're not too far apart and i could use your help with my Seaducer [Gas] Sport Hydro set-up in exchange for my share'n FE tips for your new fast electric build :rolleyes:

sounds like a plan...

[email protected]

Ron

Capt Ronbo,

What size sport hydro you looking to build? As I told you, my next project will be a rigger. Looking either at 18 or 24 cells. Hope to race in the B Hydro in 2007 SSC.

r,

Don S.

Capt Ronbo,

What size sport hydro you looking to build? As I told you, my next project will be a rigger. Looking either at 18 or 24 cells. Hope to race in the B Hydro in 2007 SSC.

r,

Don S.

Don,

i've already got my P-Sport Hydro for next year's SCC, it's a Gary Finlay designed, Porter Harvey built 29" 1981 Atlas Van Lines picklefork with a Neu 1515 1Y and a Cuda 125...

i've deceided to finishing out my "DEWALT" Seaducer Sport Hydro with a Butch the Boatman motor to run in the gas classes...

that's the help i need from Brent...

you need to get with Chris Harris on that rigger project, i'll pass him your email addy next time we speak...

Regards,

Ron

Back