Smokin Joe's Paint Scheme

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sport hydro

My winter project is going to be a Phil #8700 hull to become the 1994 Smokin Joe's. Looking at pictures of the real boat and of Don F. and Duck99. I see a difference in the paint scheme. The real boat has a patch of white on the sponson bottoms, but both scale boats are painted all yellow with Duck99's having the black ride pads on his repaint pictures. Is the white coorrect or the alll yellow?

My winter project is going to be a Phil #8700 hull to become the 1994 Smokin Joe's. Looking at pictures of the real boat and of Don F. and Duck99. I see a difference in the paint scheme. The real boat has a patch of white on the sponson bottoms, but both scale boats are painted all yellow with Duck99's having the black ride pads on his repaint pictures. Is the white coorrect or the alll yellow?
Depends upon the year. The '94 SJ was all yellow, the white appeared on the '95 boat and again on the '96. If you check my build galleries you'll see I did both the '94 and '96 boats. B)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Don. I think I'll build the 94. One other thing, I notice on Mike McNight's graphic site he lists the 94-96 as being the same but some of the Camal Powered lettering is in Yellow w/Green outline. Photos of the 94 have only the front wing being those colors.

Ed Just so you know I have multiple configurations on most sets. I put those screen shots up as samples since that is one of those boats that changed a lot from year to year and even race to race sometimes dating back to when it was the Winston. It's one of those where I usually have to match to the pics you want me to since there really isn't a "one set fits all" in this case. I've had a lot of that on Winston orders of late and I have had to refer back to my pics and video library footage to dial it in.

I have a few pics of the 94 smoke if you need. I was in tri-cities in 94 in the pits and snapped off quite a few. I might even have pics of the 96 as well as we were crewing on the computers and applications boat in Kelowna and the smokin joe was the boat next to us......Just send me your email if you want some pics.....

188778_204531466224002_100000014504036_822432_885716_n.jpg

198258_204533342890481_100000014504036_822444_3438571_n.jpg

Thanks for your help. I'll keep it in mind as I get further in the build.

Mike,

Thats good to know. I'll be in contact as I get to that stage in the build.

See now from Rob's pics there is yet another variation. Most of the issues I've had with this boat is with the smaller decals of the secondary sponsors. Sometimes it is with the green around the camels on the verts, I have been sent pics with and without it. That's why I show both. Now see in Rob's pics there is a Red Lion Hotels that I have for the Winston that I can easily add to this as well. I actually separated the '94-'95 set and the '96 set as the '96 has a slightly different config since they changed the non-trips that year. I have some pics that Don sent me a few years ago. I had to change some sizing because of that. That and there are a few changes in secondary sponsors too. I thought I had that shot up but I guess I missed it. I'll try to get that one up later this week.

Hey Rob, I have a question....I noticed in these shots the boat has no rear shoes. Do all your pics show this? Someone told me once they had shoes that were removable.

The U-10 team had many different S/J configurations, some never touched the water as well as almost always having a display boat in tow. The '94-'96 S/J's were one of the hardest to keep up with as far as changes to everything from graphics to mods on the boats as some occured race to race. B)

No rear shoes on this hull.....this race.

184240_204531586223990_100000014504036_822434_4455895_n.jpg

200704_204535976223551_100000014504036_822455_3451429_n.jpg

See there's the green around the camels I was referring to. The outside of the verts has the windswept green and the inside is just a simple green outline. Sometimes it's the windswept on both sides. Don didn't the Select/SJII have a nose that blended with the canards rather than extend past? That was the 9210 MHR though I think. I'd have to look it up. I'm just going off the top of my head.

See there's the green around the camels I was referring to. The outside of the verts has the windswept green and the inside is just a simple green outline. Sometimes it's the windswept on both sides. Don didn't the Select/SJII have a nose that blended with the canards rather than extend past? That was the 9210 MHR though I think. I'd have to look it up. I'm just going off the top of my head.
Yes, the select had the nose that blended in with the canards (9210) while the 8700 hull had the nose that extended past the canards.... The boat that ran in Tri-cities in 94 was the 8700 hull with no rear shoes. Notice also the white on the bottoms of the sponsons......

200530_204531066224042_100000014504036_822428_3569075_n.jpg

Just a side note.....this was the race where the oberto flipped in a heat race..... after which the bud with Hanauer driving went on to win the final over the smokin joes in a pretty close race.

I just went back and double checked. The 8710 is a different Winston. The 9210 is the Select/SJII. But is is not listed as the SJII until 1995. The 8700 had shoes as the Circus. They were on the inside of the airtrap. They were still there as the Winston but at some point they moved them outside the non trip and they were made removable. I seem to remember Jim Lucero saying on one race vid that they had made them bolt on. I hadn't seen it as the Joes with no shoes. Peculiar...thanks Rob for the pics.

I just went back and double checked. The 8710 is a different Winston. The 9210 is the Select/SJII. But is is not listed as the SJII until 1995. The 8700 had shoes as the Circus. They were on the inside of the airtrap. They were still there as the Winston but at some point they moved them outside the non trip and they were made removable. I seem to remember Jim Lucero saying on one race vid that they had made them bolt on. I hadn't seen it as the Joes with no shoes. Peculiar...thanks Rob for the pics.
I wonder, did they change the hull numbers in 1995?

No they were two different hulls. The 8710 was the older white then dayglo Winston. It went away around 94-95. Last I saw it...it was running as the Pete's Wicked Ale in 94 or 95. Here is a shot of the 9210 in 1993. I have a shot of it as the SJII somewhere but I can't find it right now. It was the Emcor with the weird bulbous nose. Not sure where it is now but the 8700....or what's left of it since it was rebuilt again is the current U-13 Spirit of Detroit owned by Dave Bartush.

1993WinstonEagleSelect.jpg

No they were two different hulls. The was the older white then dayglo Winston. It went away around 94-95. Last I saw it...it was running as the Pete's Wicked Ale. Here is a shot of the 9210 in 1993. I have a shot of it as the SJII somewhere but I can't find it right now. It was the Emcor with the weird bulbous nose. Not sure where it is now but the 8700....or what's left of it since it was rebuilt again is the current U-13 Spirit of Detroit owned by Dave Bartush.

1993WinstonEagleSelect.jpg
Would this be it?

188297_204535559556926_100000014504036_822454_7280084_n.jpg

Yup that would be it. That pic looks like it was '96 based on the Las Vegas and the Ralph's decals. It was later the U-5 Appian that killed George Stratton in 2000 and when they rebuilt...it became the Emcor I with the bulbous nose. The 8700 became the Emcor II.

BTW for info the Tri Cities footage from 1994 shows white sponson bottoms with black ride pads.

Back