Phil Thomas U-10 8700 FE Smokin Joes Build

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Luszcz

Vendor
Well, I started my U-10 Smokin Joes build over the last week. This will be an electric setup. I got Speedmaster hardware, Virgina Craftsman turn fin, Neu 1527 1.5Y motor, OSE water cooler, a really really nice motor mount made by Williams racing. Best motor mount I have ever owned honestly. This boat will be run as 10s1p, and the ESC I have yet to decide on. I also have the PGI decal set, and Dupont Specktramaster yellow, an HOK Purple.

So far, I have mounted the rudder, turn fin, spot glued the motor mount, and I took the 3 piece cowling set that Phil sells with it and bonded the front two pieces together, cut the rear turbine cover off the rear hatch and bonded it to the front two pieces. Since the underside will have its own hatches, I needed the cowling to come off in one piece to access the battery hatch cover. I will start on the bonding in the fin attachment points at the rear, make the hatch covers and install the strut next. Enjoy for now. Mike

IMGP1704Large.jpg

IMGP1698Large.jpg

IMGP1700Large.jpg

IMGP1699Large.jpg

IMGP1701Large.jpg

OK nice to see the progress. The cowl will look better and be stronger glued in one piece. I wanted to see the FE setup done. Motor mounts look good.

Thanks Phil. I do like to make the cowlings in one piece so they can be quickly removed, esp. if the boat is flipped as you never know what you will find inside an FE boat that has been shaken up! Oh, I wanted to ask you, is there any flotation inside the sponsons? If not, I may need to add something in there. Let me know! Mike

oh, Phil, I will be contacting you later this week about getting the 3-82u55 cowlings made for the Newton boats I am making.

Thanks Phil. I do like to make the cowlings in one piece so they can be quickly removed, esp. if the boat is flipped as you never know what you will find inside an FE boat that has been shaken up! Oh, I wanted to ask you, is there any flotation inside the sponsons? If not, I may need to add something in there. Let me know! Mike

oh, Phil, I will be contacting you later this week about getting the 3-82u55 cowlings made for the Newton boats I am making.
Nice looking hull....I'll be watching this one as I need a new hull to replace my current Smokin Joe....

There is no flotation in the hull. Big pool noodles pushed into the front sponsons and sides is what I would use.

I know some FE boats carry such heavy motor and batteries it is hard to put enough flotation in the hull. I heard of sport 40 and 20 boats full of flotation going down to the bottom after flooding cause the cowl came off.

Well, lol, I have done a little more to it, but my multiple project obsessive proplem (MPOP) has caused me to put this on hold a little bit. I have been working on the laser cut framing 1/8th scale kits the last month trying to get various hulls on cadd. I will get back on this project soon, I hope! Mike

HI Mike I was planning to make the extra wing set for you next week after the Indy Masters race. Was this a Jones style for the Bud you were building or a lucero style wing? I ferget.

Get busy on that Smokin Joes too. :D

PHIL T

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, so you wanted some updates on the build. I spent the last few days working on it, and here we are. Its actually closer to priming then I would have ever expected after 2 days work! Mike

DSCF0001.jpg

DSCF0002.jpg

DSCF0003.jpg

DSCF0004.jpg

DSCF0005.jpg

Hey, Sold the boat a long while back!

Mainly sold it as I started up my laser cut hydroplane framing business, so I wanted to do my hulls in wood from there on out.

Sorry, Mike

Back