Smokin Joe rear ride pads/shoes

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Then it's decided, I need shoes
default_biggrin.png

It's a bit hard to tell from the photos, but I think I see some white on the sponsons there. Is that another way of identifying the variations of this boat?
That's the '95 boat, the white bottom is one of the signs as is the 1994 Gold Cup Champion graphic on the turbine cowl section. They also didn't pick up Red Lion Inn as a sponsor until about mid '95 and that carried into part of '96. That season is when they really made a lot of changes.
default_cool.png

Now that you mention it, why would they have "1994 Gold Cup Champion" on there during the -94 season
default_tongue.png
Got fooled by the date mark on the photos.

Here is one of the first photo I started working from, with Total sponsor on the turbine cowl. Is this the -94 perhaps? Can't see Red Lion Inn anywhere on this either. Thanks for sharing your knowledge, it's both interesting and fun to learn. Much appreciated.

1994-96_U-10_Smokin_Joes_Hull_8700_25_.jpg

Actually, the 94 GCC would have been on the boat during the 94 season AFTER the Gold Cup. You have to remember, the photo time stamp was actually just prior to Tri-Cities, AFTER THE GOLD CUP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay, so the Gold Cup is not the last race of the season. I just learned this. Checked the 2016 schedule, and I see what you mean. Man I need to start following the races when season starts. I do not have access to TV stations like ESPN. Is there some web streaming of the race events?

To try and pin down what to do with my boat, do you know what year that last picture is from?

default_biggrin.png

It's a bit hard to tell from the photos, but I think I see some white on the sponsons there. Is that another way of identifying the variations of this boat?

I took those 2 photos july 28 of 1994 as they were setting up for the tri-cities race and HJ is correct, the tri cities race was the first race out west after the gold cup. They are very quick to get those gold cup stickers on the hull, lol

Thanks Rob, for the info and for providing us

default_biggrin.png

I took those 2 photos july 28 of 1994 as they were setting up for the tri-cities race and HJ is correct, the tri cities race was the first race out west after the gold cup. They are very quick to get those gold cup stickers on the hull, lol
Thanks guys for helpful info, and for taking these great photos. Much appreciated

I took alot of pics of the smokin joe that year. I think I was even helping Roger Newton (crew chief) of the computer and applications boat (old 82 atlas) with ride pads that year. Hundreds of little screws to adjust the ride of the boat by adding or removing pads from the sponsons. I'll see if I can find more pics as it was parked right next to us.

Rob, you missed your calling to be a photographer. You're the first, I've ever seen anyway, to get a shot of the rear of the right sponson showing the logo on the transom.

Back