Silent Engines

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A sad day for our hobby, prayers of comfort to his family at this time. I met Ed a couple times at past Indy Masters races, he was a true gentleman in every respect.

Wallster

Rest In Peace Prayers to the family. Ed was always (ô¿ô) to talk with a

True Savonte

Nails

We definitely lost a great one.

I always looked forward to talking with Ed at the

Toledo Hobby Show every year. He was so good

with set up suggestions. His boats were always immaculate

pieces of work. Usually had mahogany in the front of his tubs,

Also one of the first that started electric models.

Prayers out to his family and all those that loved him.

He Will Always Be Remembered,

Mark Sholund

I met and talked with Mr. Hughey one time at a race many, many years ago, and I remember him as just a super pleasant person to talk to, with not an egotistical bone in his body....he simply knew what he was doing, and had no problem awnsering any question one had. He did much for the hobby and I'm quite sad to hear of his passing.

From the IMPBA HOF section. RIP Mr Hughey.

Ed Hughey (No. 3017) is probably the most well-known boater in the world. He was the pioneer of Model R/C Boat Kits and was active in developing “fast electric” boats and hardware. Beginning in 1966, he held 26 records and two National Championships. In 1968 and 1969, Ed set four records at the Internats and at one time actually held 12 records simultaneously. Ed’s accomplishments are numerous and as long as there is R/C boating, Ed will be remembered.

Last edited by a moderator:
I first met Ed at the 1969 IMPBA Internats at Santee(near San Diego). He was running a Veco 61 in one of his hydroplanes and won the 2 lap oval event against more powerful engines. My first outboard powered model boat was one of Ed's foam hydroplanes. A true innovator in our hobby. Like so many others, I used his cables for years. My hobby experience was better having met Ed.

JD

RIP Ed, prayers and peace to your family.

I first me Ed at the Mini Gold Cup in Detroit, he brought a demonstration set up to show how durable his flex shafts were, it was a .40 engine coupled to a flexshaft but it was only an automotive speedometer cable in those days and if I recall they were only 1/8" dia. his stamped stainless steel prop was threaded on to the stub shaft. He fired it up and with the engine screaming, processed to push the prop into a 2X4 hunk of wood throwing chips all over the place. Yes it bent the prop but the shaft and everything else was still in tack. That same day in competition he did a complete 360 degree loop and kept going! First time I ever saw that. A fine gentleman and a tribute to the hobby. So many memories! Thank you Ed.

Thanks, John

Legend, engineer, tough competitor, mentor & friend.

You inspired generations of boaters. Thank you for everything & telling me I was years ahead of my time. You will be missed by all.

Back