Silent Engines Mike Whitley

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lamar_Huff

Hey Gang,

I just received word founding AMB club member and the designer/builder of Speedcraft Boats, Mike Whitley passed away earlier today. Mike's involvement with the club dates back decades to when we were running in a retention pond at the base of Stone Mountain. Mike designed and built numerous hulls over the years and teamed up with several different individuals to set numerous IMPBA straight away and oval records. He was a true craftsman, an innovator, and will be sorely missed by those who knew him best. Please keep his family and friends in your thoughts and prayers.

Mike in the black shirt is pictured with his friend Ronnie Cail holding one of his record-setting Speedcraft monos.

Thanks,
Lamar

Attachments

• IMG_1076a.jpg
    IMG_1076a.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 100
That is a really nice boat he made . RIP Mike. Another one of the greats gone. Time goes by so fast it seems.

Wow! Sad to hear. Mike and I developed some type of relationship over these last year or so... For those that are privied to my Facebook page, Mike and I had kind of tumultuous relationship. Mostly go at each other on the days social issues. I guess we came to agree to disagree but even in his last days he was sending me direct messages challenging me on my views. He said there is no winning with you... I guess I just always had a response ready for him that he didn't agree with but could not debate. Anyway, after some back and forth on him not selling me a boat in the first place he offered to sell me his own personal boat, Unfortunately, I was no longer in the market for one due to the fact that New NAMBA District 9 Director Allen Terry gave me his old wrecked one that I could have to run if I fixed it up. Boy did Mike give me a hard time about that not buying his boat after I gave him such a hard time about not selling me one.. LOL! Nonetheless, I finally got my Speedcraft running after some chasing some engine tuning issues and was waiting to take some good videos to show him. Guess he will never see it. Despite our differences Mike never hesitated in giving his advice in how to properly set up his boat. My fellow district mates made fun of the boat that it was big and long and questioned if it would run but when they saw it run they had to admit that the boat really did run nice. Mike even offered the same advice on setting up a previous boat I bought before I got one of his that was a rip off of his own boat. If that's now a hint of a man's character I don't know what is. RIP Mike Whiltey. Here is my version of his boat in tribute of him.

Attachments

• SpeedCraft3.jpg
    SpeedCraft3.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 36
  • SpeedCraft2.jpg
    SpeedCraft2.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 34
  • SpeedCraft.jpg
    SpeedCraft.jpg
    533.8 KB · Views: 28
Michael A. Whitley, Sr.

Michael A. Whitley, Sr.
October 21, 1948 - March 22, 2022
Obituary
Michael A. Whitley, Sr., 73, of Lawrenceville, GA passed away at his home on Tuesday, March 22, 2022 after a long battle with cancer. A memorial service will be held Sunday, March 27, 2022 at 3:00 p.m. at Bill Head Funeral Home Duluth Chapel.
He was born in Atlanta, GA and lived most of his life in the area. He was a veteran in the U. S. Army and served in Vietnam. His career was in residential construction, and he built homes all over Georgia. He had many hobbies and was always coming up with new and unique ideas. He built and raced gas powered boats for years but his latest project was buying old go karts and rebuilding them. He enjoyed many hours in his basement "tinkering" and loved helping his grandkids with school projects.
His greatest love was his family who he made so many memories with. He is preceded in death by his sister, Georgannah and his parents, George W. and Mary. He is survived by his wife, Teresa of Lawrenceville; children, Michael, Jr (Micki) of Winder, Jason (Lesley) of Paducah, KY, Amanda (Bryan) Pershey of Lawrenceville, Brandon Padgett of Stone Mountain; sister, Michele (Bryan) Lazaroff of Winder; 11 grandchildren and 3 great grandchildren.
The family will receive friends Sunday, March 27, 2022 from 2:00 p.m. until the time of the service at Bill Head Funeral Homes & Crematory Duluth Chapel (770)476-2535.

Latest posts

Back