Silent Engines - John Bonanno

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Knight

I am most saddened to inform all that a very good friend of mine, and too many, John Bonanno, from the Old Dominion Model Boat Club (ODMBA), located in Chesapeake, VA, passed away this morning after a year long battle with cancer. John was my primary mentor (Dick Tyndall and John Finch the others) when I started boat racing in 1991 with the ODMBA club. He was highly competitive but really could care less with the final results, he just loved the racing and the friendship with the other racers. John was a retired Navy fighter pilot and loved flying planes and included models going over 200 mph. He was so much fun to be with. Condolences to his wife Lynda, sons Tony & Joey and his two daughters as well. Fair winds my friend, you will be greatly missed.

Last edited by a moderator:
John was a great sport and true to the intent of all his hobbies. There came a day when I did not see John so much. No, it was not due to illness. It was that his family was growing. The children were getting married and grandchildren were soon to follow. He talked of them often and how he had plans to teach them flying and boating. After having met some of John's family I can tell you that his grandchildren will learn all that he had to offer even if he cannot see it for himself.

One of the last times I saw John was at the flying field. He was instructing Tommy Crandall of IW in efforts for Tommy to get his RC pilot's license. John told him what he wanted to see, Tommy did it, and John said he was good to go and Tommy could do what he wanted. Tommy immediately took off and did a roll 10 feet off the runway with a trainer! John almost stroked out right there. He really got a kick out of that.

I will miss John. I started model boating around him and we used to have a great Time together in chesapeake. We shared stories about our military service he helped me with a few things also at his home. He was a F4 Phantom pilot and loved it. I also kept pushing him to get his nitro roadrunner running for our last race we had in VA. My condolences to his family we lost a great boater and friend.

Julian Conde

Kandahar Afghanistan

I remember meeting John and his son Tony at my first boat race, the 1999 Indy Hydro Masters. This is back when you did oval time trials to determine your starting heats, and John coached Tony all the way to the A Main for a Green Jacket in D Hydro. They were a great team and John's passing truly a loss to our hobby. My prayers go out to the Bonanno family at this time.

Wallster

Prayers go out to the Bonanno family, he taught me the proper way to treat your engine after running for the day when i was a rookie with one boat. A really good man, he has left his imprint on D12 for sure...

John will certainly be missed by both his personal family and his boating family. I always enjoyed talking to him at the Old Dominion race pond. He was truly a gentleman as well. I really enjoyed hearing him talk about his airplanes as well. A truly great man who will certainly be missed.

Virginia Beach – John Warren Bonanno, 66, lost his relentless battle with cancer on Friday, June 15, 2012. He was born on July 3, 1945 in Kearny, New Jersey to the late John and Edna Bonanno.

John is a retired veteran fighter pilot of the United States Marine Corps and Navy of 20 years retiring in 1986. He earned his B.S. from Embry Riddle Aeronautical Aviation and attended Navy Fighter Weapons School (Top Gun) in 1975. After his military career, John continued his love for flying with Flight International, a civilian contractor to the Navy providing threat simulations to aircraft and ships. After finishing flying in 2001, John and his wife, Lynda, retired to the Outer Banks where they are owners of Island Accent Gifts in Manteo, N.C. John's passions in life included his family and love for model aviation and being on the water. In the years since his retirement he has been active with several radio controlled boat and airplane clubs.

He is survived by his wife of 43 years, Lynda; daughter, Kristen Field (husband Matt); daughter, Danielle Jennings (husband Sean); son, Tony Bonanno (wife Ashley); son, Joseph Bonanno; grandchildren, Collin, Matthew, Tanner, Logan, Brady, Adin, Christopher, and Angelina; and his beloved beagles, Daisy and Riley.

The family will receive friends from 6:00 to 8:00 p.m., Wed, June 20, 2012 at Smith & Williams Funeral Home, Kempsville Chapel. A Memorial Mass will be held at 11:00 a.m., Thurs, June 21, 2012 at the Church of the Ascension in Virginia Beach with a reception to follow at the family's residence.

I am most saddened to inform all that a very good friend of mine, and too many, John Bonanno, from the Old Dominion Model Boat Club (ODMBA), located in Chesapeake, VA, passed away this morning after a year long battle with cancer. John was my primary mentor (Dick Tyndall and John Finch the others) when I started boat racing in 1991 with the ODMBA club. He was highly competitive but really could care less with the final results, he just loved the racing and the friendship with the other racers. John was a retired Navy fighter pilot and loved flying planes and included models going over 200 mph. He was so much fun to be with. Condolences to his wife Lynda, sons Tony & Joey and his two daughters as well. Fair winds my friend, you will be greatly missed.
I am so sorry to hear this news. Back in early ‘80’s I met John in the ODMBA and we raced in 40 Hydro. His 40 Outrigger and my 40 Cat. We had some very good competitive races and I finished second to him my first year. We were also in the RC plane club and flew planes also. RIP John.

Back