Sherline 2000A-DRO 8 Milling Machine

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kcvnd

I am looking into a Sherline 2000 Milling Machine w/ digital readouts and before I make the jump I wanted to see if anyone has any experience with the Sherline products. I eventually want to convert to CNC with the machine, but the digital readouts are more pocket friendly for now. Thanks

http://vcshobbies.com/product30_lastcat2.ihtml

Last edited by a moderator:
I am looking into a Sherline 2000 Milling Machine w/ digital readouts and before I make the jump I wanted to see if anyone has any experience with the Sherline products. I eventually want to convert to CNC with the machine, but the digital readouts are more pocket friendly for now. Thanks
I have the lathe and a guy in the club has both. With a little tweaking they work fine for small stuff. Ya might check with Grimmy as he has the cats meow......

I have the lathe and a guy in the club has both. With a little tweaking they work fine for small stuff. Ya might check with Grimmy as he has the cats meow......
What ya got Grim??????

Kevin,

Mine is a taig unit.. Great little unit.. I have a small Sherline lathe here at work and its not close to my taig units. The taig both mill and lathe (I have both) are much nicer.

Grim

Kevin,
Mine is a taig unit.. Great little unit.. I have a small Sherline lathe here at work and its not close to my taig units. The taig both mill and lathe (I have both) are much nicer.

Grim
The looks nice. Do you have the CNC package as well?

I have a 5000 series mill and a 4000 series short lathe. Both are capable of tight tolerance work, though they are not for anything very large. I've found that the mill, using a vice and angle table, can be used to make a skid fin bracket from bar stock, just takes some time. I would be cautious of the HF equipment since it's usually lower grade stuff from China which requires some rework before being used. As for Grim and his CNC stuff, he's just spoiled :D

I have a Taig CNC mill and a Taig Lathe with electric drives and love them both , my Lathe is heavily modified....they do not come that way , also my mill has been changed to variable speed DCdrive . The mill with all CNC and 4th axis was bought on ebay from Deepgrove1 for under $2500.00 clams , two vids below

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XacamPril0w

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Taig CNC mill and a Taig Lathe with electric drives and love them both , my Lathe is heavily modified....they do not come that way , also my mill has been changed to variable speed DCdrive . The mill with all CNC and 4th axis was bought on ebay from Deepgrove1 for under $2500.00 clams , two vids below

Thanks guys for the advice. The Taig looks like the way to go. I am glad I posted this before spending the money.

Peter, those videos were awesome. That is some motor mount and cooling jacket! Thanks again.

Kevin

Back