Sheeting top of deck ?.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Howard

I have my sport 20 all sealed up on the inside and was wandering about sheeting the top. Do you completely cover the inside of the deck so it will be sealed also. This is the first boat of this type that I have built.

Bob

Bob

Yes you need to coat the bottom of the deck if you want the boat to last. I spread a thin coat of epoxy on the wood then wipe off the excess with a paper towel. I seal the outside of wood boats the same way before painting.

Mark

I like to seal the inside of the boat, seal the inside of the decks and apply the decks all on the same step. Works very nice. Here is a tip...When applying the deck, put tape on top of the frames so the deck doesn't stick to it. Just glue the perimeter of the boat. If you glue the frames to the deck, after awhile, the deck will sag where there isn't a frame. If you don't glue the frames to the deck, you won't see as much saging, thus making a better looking boat for a longer period of time. This works awesome when using a fiberglass deck (roundnose). Strength is not a problem.

Never glue something to cured glue without first sanding the dried glue away.

Brian

Back