Shaman - looking good in stock 40

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HTV JAY

Stock 40 is a growing class in Florida, and the competition keeps getting better. I just wanted to say thank you to Ron Drake, and Randy Premo for the Shaman we’ve been running, and give a compliment to how well the boat has done and performed. At Sowega we went 1200 pts, in one of the best 40 stock fields I’ve run. This is the first Shaman we’ve run, and that my dad has set up, and I really think my dad nailed the set up on this one. In testing we’ve run real close on the stop watch to the times of our 40 mods, and in my opinion our mod boats run very well. At the next Storm race we’ll see how fast we really are when we do the two lap times on a regulation course.

The great thing about the stock class is that boats are all fairly close in speed, and the set up is obtainable for reasonable pricing. Were running a Shaman, nelson power head (easy to obtain production motor), and a nelson can muffler. A little prop work and you have a stock boat as good as most mod boats.

See you all at the next races.

Jay H

Last edited by a moderator:
these boats a grate , take it from a 2 time world champ in 40 sport .this is a fun class

shane

Jay,

Thanks bro. The "outlaw" class has proven a lot as to what can be done with some creativity. Ron has proven that the Shaman can be a strong mod boat if time is spent with setup, and Mic has definitely found the combo for you. Honestly we would like to see this (outlaw 45) become a legit class, utilizing different powerheads. Mike Culhane put a boat together in a weekend and was competitive right from the start with a K&B too.

It has been one hell of a good year for Vans Racing and Design. And more to come.

Randy

Stock 40 is a growing class in Florida, and the competition keeps getting better. I just wanted to say thank you to Ron Drake, and Randy Premo for the Shaman we’ve been running, and give a compliment to how well the boat has done and performed. At Sowega we went 1200 pts, in one of the best 40 stock fields I’ve run. This is the first Shaman we’ve run, and that my dad has set up, and I really think my dad nailed the set up on this one. In testing we’ve run real close on the stop watch to the times of our 40 mods, and in my opinion our mod boats run very well. At the next Storm race we’ll see how fast we really are when we do the two lap times on a regulation course.

The great thing about the stock class is that boats are all fairly close in speed, and the set up is obtainable for reasonable pricing. Were running a Shaman, nelson power head (easy to obtain production motor), and a nelson can muffler. A little prop work and you have a stock boat as good as most mod boats.

See you all at the next races.

Jay H
what lower units are you using ? thanks...bob

This boat is using a K&B lower. I did not have specific set up instructions just some guidelines from Ron. That said I used a hi-jackermount I had laying around which sets the hinge pin in the lower 1 1/2 inches back off the transon which is probably not in the normal Shaman instructions. Some times you have to try things and this seems to work ok. Just doing things the way everyone does cause thats the way we have always done it does not move forward. The ability to recognize,admit and change errors is the key there. Even going the wrong way is a learning tool. Prop centerline is 1/4 inch above the bottom and trim is close to neutral. Going positive loosens the boat and goes faster but you loose handling control at some point. Only weight is about 2 oz. in front of the radio box. Props vary for us from an Sholund ABC 47X63. X448 Octura and fastest but loosest is a 1914 LeFluer. Stay conservative and the boat corners great, goes through reasonably rough water and will win heats.

Mic

Back