SGx 21 gets a thumbs up!

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Attebery

Hello,

A few months back I asked for input on a new 21 hydro. After taking everyone's input and balancing it with my own experience with SG 45 and 90 hydros. I decided on the 80% SGx 21 from CMD.

The boat was fairly easy to assemble. It takes some thought to get all the radio gear in a 2.5" wide by 1.25" high by 8" deep radio box, but other than that everything is layed out pretty well in the instructions. There were a couple changes in the way the sponson booms were mounted, but CMD answered my questions quickly and I was on my way. I set the hull and hardware up per the instructions and without any shims under the booms. I sealed it with two light coats of West Systems epoxy and didn't paint it. The boat came out right around 4 pounds ready to run without fuel.

I took the boat to the pond on Saturday. For the first run I put a 1445 prop with 3.2 cup on it and threw it in. I was amazed at the way it ran right off the bat. I could get it off and on the pipe at will and the boat was running in the low 60's. For the second run I used a 1445 with 3.4 cup. Again, the boat ran great, on and off the pipe with no problem and the speeds were in the mid 60's. I shortened the pipe and added a bit of strut angle to loosen the rear end up and it came alive. It had to be running in the 68 to 70 mph range.

I ran about 8 tanks through the boat, in rough water and smooth, and it never missed a beat. It will run right on the bouys at full throttle and flat out hauls down the straights.

All I can say is if you're looking for a great hydro give CMD a call. They have great service and they can sell you everything you need.

Chris Attebery

Chris,

It will go even faster with a few prop mods.We are

running pitches even higher with a few different props.

You may want to try some H-7's on the boat.You might

have to reduce the strut angle back to 0 degrees or

1/2 degrees.We test with a Stalker Radar and we are

going faster with some different props and some blade

modifications.Email me if you want more information

as I can't tell you everything on this Forum. ;D ;D

Thanks,

Mark :)

Chris,

Can you tell us what the main differences between the SGX and the SG is??

EMS Racing NAMBA Nats this year??? who knows... ;D

EMS,

The main differences are:

lower profile

wider stance

The front of the rear sponsons is slightly different

Chris

Chris,

What is different about the front of the rear sponsons? Looking at the pics posted by Gene (Slide) it looked to me that the outer sides of the sponsons taper in more towards the inner sides?

Ian.

Ian,

Yes that is the main difference. The sides taper to a point. On the SG the sponson sides taper slightly but are almost square at the front.

Chris

Back