servos

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Grim, anyone?

I little off subject, but does anyone have good knowledge, experience with the range capabilities of the Futaba 2.4 Fasst system? Always ran our .21 SAW boat with the antenna taped down to the top of the boat using the Futaba PCM. Could not do that with any other brand of radio. Just wondering about range for the purpose of SAW where the boat could be up to 800' from the transmitter.
Tested my FASST 3EGX conversion to 1/2 mile, rock solid, had the rx antenna vertical tho.

Steve,

I've been running the S9156 Digitals in my gas boats and FE SAW boats for the last few years. They've worked flawlessly in every application I've used them (340 in.oz. @ 6V). They've survived some seriously ugly crashes. If you need more torque, there's the S9157 with 425 in.oz. @ 6V. I believe they are Ti gears and have a metal center case to help disipate heat if you really work them hard. Ultimately, if I didn't trust them, they wouldn't be in the boats.

Andy,

Been running the 2.4ghz Faast system in my SAW boats for the last 4 seasons. I've run them out to the far ends at Legg (about 900 feet) and never had problems, even in the all carbon boats.

Last edited by a moderator:
JR DS 8711 403 in-oz @ 6v Have run it in three boats in the last 2 1/2 years so far no problem have it in my 90 SGX now rock solid. Has bin totally submerged in the first boat many times. Takes a licking and keeps on ticking.

David

can't speak for the digital or 1/4 scale servos, but i had had EXCELLENT service out of my jr servos in boats. been using them for 3 years, no failures, still tight-no slop. water has been a non issue. loosen the case screws, drain them & dry in the sun - reinstall, still going strong.

The point that some people seem to miss is it's more than just the torque rating. The 1/4 scale servos spread the load over a much broader area on the bigger gear set which makes a difference in the larger, heavier twins. That much weight combined with the forces placed on it at very high speeds makes can be brutal especially if you crash or stuff one in tail first. Been using all metal gear Futaba 1/4 scales for years in the twins. Seeing the 5301 go away with no direct replacement is major bummer for sure ...... :(

Can someone (Grim?) say why they took the 5301 away? I would like to get at least 1 more and I will be set.

Got a couple of prejects that need them and I can't seem to find a suitable replacement

The point that some people seem to miss is it's more than just the torque rating. The 1/4 scale servos spread the load over a much broader area on the bigger gear set which makes a difference in the larger, heavier twins. That much weight combined with the forces placed on it at very high speeds makes can be brutal especially if you crash or stuff one in tail first. Been using all metal gear Futaba 1/4 scales for years in the twins. Seeing the 5301 go away with no direct replacement is major bummer for sure ...... :(
don, that's why i like the jr servos i use. the gears are slightly thicker than most other standard size servos. gives more load bearing surface to spread the forces. not sure if that holds true for their 1/4 scale servos.

Don and Kris.. all,

Truth is when products like this go away they are typically outdated and sales numbers fall off (KEY: Sale numbers! ).. thats the bottom line.. its not that Futaba is trying piss in anybodys cornflakes.

Remember all.. CHANGE can be a good thing.. Remember the 2.4 tugging and pulling we all did to go that way.. :blink: Cripes! lol

The Snowman has some history with a great servo (S9156)... And I gota tell ya.. most FE guys are horrible drivers and crash all the time.. they also are not the greatest at keeping water out of there boxes either!.. KIDDING! :p

numbers numbers and more numbers..

Grim

There has always been standard size servos with plenty of Tq but the main reason we use 1/4 scale servos was for larger gear surface area as Don stated.

I agree that the S9157 has the grunt to turn a big, heavy/fast boat but will the gears survive?!?!?!?!

Buck

I have considered large servos robust drivetrain versus compact servos in the past.

But I prefer going with small servos installed in a way that it is easily replaceable upon a bad blowoff......

A bulletproof boat may be able to be built, but we each decide on our boats where preformance versus crashproof matters...

example: I can build a rudder that will NEVER bend, BUT it's gonna be huge and heavy.. lol

I have considered large servos robust drivetrain versus compact servos in the past.

But I prefer going with small servos installed in a way that it is easily replaceable upon a bad blowoff......

A bulletproof boat may be able to be built, but we each decide on our boats where preformance versus crashproof matters...

example: I can build a rudder that will NEVER bend, BUT it's gonna be huge and heavy.. lol
not worried so much about a blow off as throwing the 15 twin,running 85 or so into a hard corner. and there is enough room in a twin to put about any servo made

i got a line on a couple 5301's, so i will probably have to go that way

This has been reliable in my 20 rigger.. lol

I don't even have to tweak the handling, The extra ten ounces in the back keeps the prop from blowing out.

Psycho.jpg

Operating voltage: 4.8 - 12.0 VDC, recommended is 6.0 - 8.4v

Starting Torque: 907 oz/in @ 6v; 1271 oz/in @ 8.4v 1814 oz/in @ 12v

Speed: .29 sec/60 deg @ 6v; .21sec/60 deg @ 8.4v; .14 sec/60 deg @ 12v

Weight: 10 oz

Size:Length:100mm (3.94" including mounting flange; 75mm (2.95" body only. Width: 44mm(1.73". Height: 93mm (3.66" w/ output arm installed 79mm (3.10" body only.

Latest posts

Back