Servo driver?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't think a sensor on the out side of the case will do more than give a general reading some where between head and ex temp.

Looking for a true head temp with the sensor right in the head button and one right in the fire. these will be two different thing all together. Both will control two different things head temp on the head separated from the case with a custom cooling cap. then the actual temp of the burn taken as the gases come out of the cylinder.

I feel this will work real nice.
A $30.00 investment in an infared thermometer, holding the back of the boat down with the prop in the water will take a lot of guess work out of where the temps are on an engine and how they change with the mixture and load. That is what I did.

If a bad theory takes you along the wrong path, there will be a lot of time and effort wasted.

If there is a way that I can test something cheaply and realitivity quick, I will do it.

But then again, that is just me.

Charles
You are so true in what you say about keep it simple.

That is one of the advantages of the Eagle tree logger. you can record all the data in real time in a running boat on the water.

That is why I made this simple rig as a stand alone to get info on how the resistor will react with the water flow and where is the best placement on the eng. now making one for the ex temp will be a little more involved I feel.

The expansion shied will make it real easy to hook up things to the Nano for testing and setup. Will be just plug it in and wright the code.

I just use a solderless prototyping breadboard with my Nano rather than a shield. Unlike the bigger arduinos the nano has pins to go right onto a breadboard. I picked up a breadboard/jumper/ component kit on ebay specifically for learning arduino. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/280821697686

Agree 100% on using the logger to find the optimum positions etc by logging during a run on the water BEFORE making a system to work off it. Fortunately David has such a thing in his boat already!

Thy have the breadboards at Radio shack but when I saw this and the way it was setup thought I would give it a shot.

Looks like you can plug the servos right to the board. Also the 4 pin sets will let me plug the Eagle tree thermal coupler driver in to the board.

Will see what is what when I get my hands on it.

I thing you are on to some thing here. can link the throttle and needle servos together with this system.

Very interesting.

That is one of the advantages of the Eagle tree logger. you can record all the data in real time in a running boat on the water.

That is why I made this simple rig as a stand alone to get info on how the resistor will react with the water flow and where is the best placement on the eng. now making one for the ex temp will be a little more involved I feel.
Eagletree logger ordered today! B)

Eagletree logger ordered today! B)
Make sure you get the logger and not the V4 if you want to log EGT. I have two loggers and 1 V4.

The V4 will let you run the LED display where the logger will not. but the V4 will not work with the thermal coupler.

OH Sh1t!!!!!!!!!!!! I Didn't think of that. Ordered and paid for the V4 and RPM/Temp sensors already.

OH Sh1t!!!!!!!!!!!! I Didn't think of that. Ordered and paid for the V4 and RPM/Temp sensors already.
Don't sweat it start with this to ge the hang of it. Every thing interchanges.

Get the GPS and the display so you can see the RPM's and speed at the end of the run at the pond with out hooking up the laptop .

I wonder if the reason why the thermocouple isn't supported is because thermocouples often need an amplifier circuit to be read clearly? Oh well, I can still use it to log the other stuff I need to be able to do a "with and without" comparison for...... then it can live in my FE O/B tunnel where EGT is non-existent.

How close are you to testing the 555 servo driver for cooling regulation on the water David? I will most likely put that system into my 45 rigger first, but want the logger up and running to be able to compare the data with and without regulation. That might take a little bit of learning time on my part.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am rebuilding my SGX 1.01 now making provisions for the valve system and sensors. Maybe next weekend if I have the time to finish every thing.

I will have to modify the Perry valve for more flow for the larger eng I think.

got some time to play tonight and this is a pic of the sensor for head temp setup.

it is right at the chamber. Will put one in the cooling cap also to see what is what.

Will just log it to start.

got some time to play tonight and this is a pic of the sensor for head temp setup.

it is right at the chamber. Will put one in the cooling cap also to see what is what.

Good stuff David!

Could you log your MIX servo position at the same time please on one log run? Preferably changing the needle when up to operating temp and on a long straight run so that corner loads are out of the picture? It might give me an idea of the reaction time seen as temp elevation from hitting the lean button, could be useful for future stuff.

Good stuff David!

Could you log your MIX servo position at the same time please on one log run? Preferably changing the needle when up to operating temp and on a long straight run so that corner loads are out of the picture? It might give me an idea of the reaction time seen as temp elevation from hitting the lean button, could be useful for future stuff.
I tried logging throttle position but it didn't work to good. you know when your servos make a glitching noise when just sitting still. well this shows up as a spike in the chart. I think if thy where digital servos it would work better. I use analog on the throttle and 3rd channel .I will see if thy have any digitals on sale at the LSH this weekend. that way I can switch over to HRS on the radio.

Thats one nice thing about having the largest R/C only hobby shop in the world right down the street. Thy always have boxes of servos on special when thy break up flight packs that don't sell good and any thing R/C related in stock.

I got the Perry valve mod done also. Gust had to drill out the hole in the outer mix drum to .060 now it flows all I will need.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well got some more done today. Have the system plumb and installed in my SGX90.

Also did some more testing on the valve. Found a resistor that has a wider spread in the resistance that reacted much better.

Hooked the valve up to some water (90psi) and used a small torch to heat the button with the resistor installed in it.

worked real nice full stream when heated up real hot and slowed down to a trickle when I cooled the button with water from the stream.

The stream slowed down just as the water would not boil on the button.

The reaction was very nice and the flow was what I think will be in range for the heat.

I think I will check the temp for logging at the very top of the case at the ex port. I feel this is the critical point on this 1.01 as this is where thy seam to stick the piston from heat. Will still use the hole in the button for the valve to get instant response to the system.

I have a 90deg fitting on the out put that can be adjusted up or down. This way I can just remove the hose and take the system out of use real easy at the pond.

the valve is on the output side of the head.

Getting close,

Back