Semiscale gas hydro in the making

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThomasRasmussen

Hello there.

As the topic suggests im building a hydro for zen-power. It's from Roger Newton plans but enlarged from the originals. I had a build thread on Rcuniverse but its deleted i think. I havent had a chance to work on the boat for over a year. I had to put all my things in boxes for moving, sadly it took a hell of a long time to sell my appartment so nothing could be done. Now thats bygons, so i just want to ask you guys what you think of the project so far and if something looks wrong or needs improvement. I really want to get going with this thing (not rush it though).

So feel free to comment the pictures and let me know if you got some tricks up your sleeve, or know something i dont :) Its my first scale hydro build of this size. I have built riggers and some small FE hydros.

Im especially interested in the angles on the ride surfaces and sponsons.

Cheers guys ;)

CIMG0221.jpg

CIMG0219.jpg

CIMG0213.jpg

I'm altso very courious about hardware choises and placement. I soon have to think about rudder, strut and turnfin. I am very gratefull for any info regarding turnfin placement and angles. The same goes for rudder and strut. My plans so far is having the rudder on the left side and the strut through the bottom so the drivedog is in line with the transom.

I probably have to make the turnfin myself. Any ideas about the design? I've seen loads of different designs like straight, angled and curved. Tilted back, curved back and so on......Better make something thats in ballpark of what's working atleast.

I'm altso very courious about hardware choises and placement. I soon have to think about rudder, strut and turnfin. I am very gratefull for any info regarding turnfin placement and angles. The same goes for rudder and strut. My plans so far is having the rudder on the left side and the strut through the bottom so the drivedog is in line with the transom.I probably have to make the turnfin myself. Any ideas about the design? I've seen loads of different designs like straight, angled and curved. Tilted back, curved back and so on......Better make something thats in ballpark of what's working atleast.
Hi Thomas, You might want to put the rudder on the right(the radio box will be on the right as the Zen pipe will use up the space on the left side). The strut can be mounted on the transom for the thunderboat class(any cuts on the bottom are just great places for water to leak in). What set of plans are you working from?

For some ideas on setting up gas hydros go to Jims rc boat dock and check the thunderboat registry. I buy most of my hardware from rocketcityracing.com

Good luck, Glenn

Thanks. I plan to use Zenhoa. Mainly becourse of cost and availability
Hi Thomas,

What sort of englargement you have done to the Newton plan to accomodate the Zenoah?

I am building a couple of 1/8 Scale boats using Newton's plans, as I am running them sport in seawater here, my thinkings are to squeeze a Quickdraw rear exhaust onto the Smokin' Joe's, but still don't know if it is possible till I have done it, or do I have to enlarge the boat?

Gilbert

HongKong_I__QD25__007.jpg

Hi Gilbert

Funny thing, my boat is altso a smokin' joes from Newton. Nice looking boat i think. I really like the hydros from the mid -90's.

I dont remember the exact percentage i had the plans enlarged, but i think its about 20% bigger than a 1/8. I thought about building it 1/8 but after lots of measuring and reading i decided it would be to small. You will be able to put a gas engine in a 1/8, but you will have some serious torque roll issues, especially with a strong engine like quckdraw. Not to mention the size of the engine that will not work with the original cowling.

So i wil absolutely recomend to enlarge the plans..

Regards Thomas

Hi Thomas,

What sort of englargement you have done to the Newton plan to accomodate the Zenoah?

I am building a couple of 1/8 Scale boats using Newton's plans, as I am running them sport in seawater here, my thinkings are to squeeze a Quickdraw rear exhaust onto the Smokin' Joe's, but still don't know if it is possible till I have done it, or do I have to enlarge the boat?

Gilbert

Hi Gilbert

Funny thing, my boat is altso a smokin' joes from Newton. Nice looking boat i think. I really like the hydros from the mid -90's.

I dont remember the exact percentage i had the plans enlarged, but i think its about 20% bigger than a 1/8. I thought about building it 1/8 but after lots of measuring and reading i decided it would be to small. You will be able to put a gas engine in a 1/8, but you will have some serious torque roll issues, especially with a strong engine like quckdraw. Not to mention the size of the engine that will not work with the original cowling.

Regards Thomas

Hi Thomas-

It looks like you are building a boat that can run in our Pacific Northwest Thunderboat Association club- We standardized on a scale of 120% of the 1/8 scale hydro Master Hull Roster or 1/667 scale. We came to the same conclusion that the boats needed to be that large to be make a gas scale boat work. I would recommend that you look into the RCMK front carb rear exhaust motor for your project as it will make It much easier to mount the motor and pipe combo in the center section. Attached is a photo of the 97 Pico American Dream that one of our members is building. We should have a few of what we are calling "Gas Scale Hydros" to show off at the NAMBA Nationals this July.

If you would like to see what we are doing in the Northwest please check out the PNWTA website www.pnwta.org

Marty Shallenberger

NAMBA National Scale Chairman

Hi Gilbert

Regards Thomas

Hi Thomas,

Gilbert
Hi Thomas,

This is my second smokin' Joes, the first one was using Hoover's gas hull, painted and decal as 1/8th Scale using a Quickdraw 35 but it crashed on the hard rock shore through the too much and too often running.

I guess you are right bigger is better for gas, but where to get the cowlings of this size? For me, I don't have the skill to build cowlings to fit.

As I am not building boats for racing nor to comply with any rules, but I still love the good looks of scale, I am running in seawater by the beach so gas is more easy to accomdate the slightly rougher seawater and waves.

The Zippskit I just finished is painted and decorated similiar to a 69 white and blue Notre Dame using 1/8 scale decals, even before the fitting of the exposed Allison motor, it looks great though not 100% to scale.

We are in the other side of the globe hence very difficult to get parts from States and Australia, if not lost in the mail it could too be taken more than three weeks for whatever parts.

Cheers

Gilbert

Hello there.As the topic suggests im building a hydro for zen-power. It's from Roger Newton plans but enlarged from the originals.

Cheers guys ;)

CIMG0221.jpg

CIMG0219.jpg

CIMG0213.jpg
I am sorry to deviate from the orginal post but I would like to know where you got your plan enlarged?

I would like to do the same but I could not find a local store that can handle that size. The largest Staple can do is 24" X 36".

Thanks,

Kez

go to kinko's, they seem to be about the cheapest for full size prints

Kez; sorry mate, i could not help you anyways. I live in Norway, and there are no Kinko's or Fed-ex here. But i'm glad to hear you got it done ;) Happy building.

As for the build, im working on the final things before starting to paint the inside with epoxy. I will post more pictures when i have some new ones

Back