• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Int'l Waters and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Selling & Shipping Outside the U.S.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well here's my method- US Postal Priority within cont. US unless you get to the box sizing that becomes cost prohibitive, then it's UPS and ALWAYS with insurance & tracking. As for overseas Air Post is the only way whenever possible as Parcel Post takes way too long & the longer you leave it in the hands of shippers the more the damage odds go up. I pack everything like it's going thru a war zone, I'll often pad the livin crap out of something & do the box in a box thing too if the journey is long. I'm an Ebay'n nut (over 500 transactions) & ship overseas alot (MIKE- I'm at the post office an average of twice a week) the customs forms, at least at the post office, ain't that bad, I fill them out while I'm in line. As for payments, it's either Paypal, money orders or checks & everything is held until it clears MY bank, Paypal included. With Paypal I transfer the $$ immediately into my bank, once it posts into my account I ship. I guess I'm less cynical than others BUT I do cover my a$$ as best as can be done.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Stuff comming in is about as bad with all the customs bs. Don, it doesen't sound like you have shipped anything latley, or just don't mind the bs that goes with it, me, I can't stand it."

Now comparing what you go thru with customs in a business is not a real fair comparision as it is definitely more of a pain in the a$$ than going to the local post office with a couple boxes paperwork wise......... :blink:

Boaters,

I have shipped all over the world for a couple of years now with NO PROBLEM.

I usually use the USPS PRIORITY MAIL and I have been VERY HAPPY with my

results. Overseas I use the AIR POST and have been really happy with the time

and the service. I ship daily here at Props-4-U and I have been really lucky I

guess.

Thanks, :)

Mark Sholund

Interesting topic.

The past year I bought a few items in the US and Australia (1). Some times from IW members (thanks again!), sometimes from ebay US. As long as they use paypal I'm in business.

It went good until the last time:

An ebay guy with loads of good feedback sent several items to me. Sent early decembre we agreed on splitting the costs because the guy sent it uninsured (asked 'to much' for insurance) and it did not arrive until now. He would also send one item again because he had two of them. Wait and see.

I see a lot of auktions were the seller only wants to ship to the 48 states. I don't see a point in that. Especcialy with a lot of European guy's who want to spent there expensive euro in $!

I have to agree with Oscar , the Dollar rate is very low and lots of europians are way happy to buy stuff from the usa .

I have been sending stuff up to England , USA , Aussieland lol , HK , italy , germany etccccc,

So far i had no problems , i just know one thing :

Packing is very important, ive seen people sending stuff up to me where i didn't even think of it to move it in my car , no foam or something around it , boxes open etc

And , btw , sending something up to the usa , takes 4 - 5 days , HK was 6 -7 days cause of the timedifference .

In the end it comes up to this , u got to trust the one who u are selling /buying stuff to/from . Thats probably the main thing .

Bart Drieghe

I pack everything like it's going thru a war zone
Yea, I got my ABS cowl from you a few weeks ago, and for a piece of plastic it sure was secure in that box. Very well packaged. :)

Did you request pics to show said damage? Something well within your right to request BTW.
Good idea! Why not take a pic of the item inside the package and of the sealed package before it ships. There is no way that they could argue with it being "poorly packaged" when it is damaged. Might be a pain, but well worth it on one of those "high dollar" items....

My .02

small stuff isn't too bad, but the complete boats are another matter. the cost and the paper work can be a killer.

Mike

let me clarify... when I said that I ship from my business, I meant that I know how to ship stuff. The people are great, whether it's from a board or ebay, it's the shippers since 911, and really before. ups broke a full size racing outboard that I shipped to Ohio, in the same container that it came all the way from Japan to me, by another carrier, and the fight is still on over the insurance. They lost a $2k mercedes transmission, and paid off a fraction of the insured value. My ***** is about the paper work, not the people, but the post office is a real joke, every day is ebay day at my po, line out the door sending off all the junk they sold and filling out the forms, I won't stand in line to pee let alone at the post office for their poor service. look at the ups web site sometime and pretend that you are going to ship somethin out of the country, say to Canada and you will see all the pages of paper work you need to fill out. All to send a boat that you sold for a fraction of it's cost to you, not me ever again. paid $90 to get 2 rossi motors to Germany once too, but thats another story.

Mike

Great topic

Being from Canada I find it frustrating when I see something I want to buy on ebay

and the seller refuses to ship across the boarder.

I have purchased plenty of things from the U.S. and had zero problems with shipping or customs.

I recently bought a Winston Eagle from Mr Thomas that arived safe and sound and

it was packed exceptionally well , which as Don said is the key here.

I recently sent an item to the U.S. and my mother inlaw who worked for a suply company showed me the proper way to package something.

The item was rapped and packed in a box tightly she then put that box in another box I thought she was kidding but then she explaned to me how many times they had things returned do to damage I didn't argue.

I then went to the Fedex depot filled out a couple of forms handed the box to the girl with my money and watched as she literally threw the box on the converor belt. :eek:

I was glad I listened to my mother inlaw.

Tim

....and watched as she literally threw the box on the converor belt

I was sitting on a plane waiting to leave and I was wathing the ground crew load packages and luggage. It looked to me that they were in a competition to see who could throw the boxes down the hardest <_< . I guess that's what $5 an hour Federal employess will do for ya........

I buy stuff all the time and have it shipped in, so far it has been great. I have only had 1 package totally lost, and the seller refunded my money to me after about 15 weeks, we both were very civial about the whole transaction. I find name calling and threats just leave a bad taste in peoples mouths. One thing with overseas shipping is patience, surface shipping that they say 4-6 weeks takes 8-10 weeks here. I had another incident just recently where I bought a single prop, after 4-5 weeks it was still not here, a couple of emails to the seller and then there was no replies, I was getting nervous, then out of the blue the package had been returned to the seller, I gave him a second address to try (even though I recieved 100's of packages to the first address) and had it within 6 days. I know had I gone off the handle I never would have recieved it but by being patient and waiting for enough time for it to be returned and then asking questions without finger pointing, I have made a new contact that I fully trust!

:D

I'm the one who sent a parcel to Gene that got lost! I sent it standard air mail uninsured and there was no money changing hands so all I lost out on was a few 21 props. When my collection grows some more I'll attempt to send him some more!

That was and has been my only bad experience. I have sent loads of items this way before and generally things arrive within a week to the US. It is more economical and practical than Fedex etc.

Incoming stuff from the US - I have found USPS air to take about 2 weeks - best being 4 days. The Key is the item must be listed under $1000Au or it has to go thru customs clearance.

I have also received stuff via fedex - all I can say is "NEVER AGAIN".

Tim,

I am sorry about that, I have never shipped oversea and had NO idea that would happen. It is very hard to ship something worth $750.00 and hope it makes it. You are correct, 99.9% of the time things arrive but if they don't make it is a big loss. Again, I Am Sorry!!!

I have shipped to Canada and it has to be the slowest around, 2-4 weeks Air. I can send something to Aussy in half that time.

To me it comes down to this ( can you take the loss if the item don't arrive, NO, NO, No Way) so I ship in the USA Only.

How long does it take to get a claim check from the USPS, they destroyed a boat of mine and I filed a claim on 9-26-03, last year and NO Money form them yet? This matter is about to go to small claims court. Anyone tried this before???

Thanks,

Bill

Hey Bill,

No dramas - you still looked after me! Don't worry about it!

Tim.

Hi Guy's

I have seen it from both sides - buying and selling. I think the problem with some of the stuff getting shipped and damaged is some sellers have no concept of how stuff should be packaged to arrive safely. I have brought a bunch of stuff from guy's on IW and they have always been good deals without hassle. I have had a few problems with Ebay when sellers say the item was shipped but it never arrives. Claim it's shipped, insured or not, and no refunds. Funnily enough this has only happened with US sellers. I forgot to mention I also do diecast model cars and have received cars from all over the world, literally everywhere including russia. Likewise I have shipped cars all over as well and I guarrantee that they arrive in the same condition they left my place. Good packaging solves most problems.

I have gotten over the only sell in the Conus problem by finding good friends who will collect and ship on stuff for me - thankyou very much Kevin and Rodney, your bloods worth bottling. OBNut shipped me the Aerotech and it got here fine, Charley Howarth shipped me a small package and it went to PNG first but got here eventually. All in all I've had pretty good luck with this stuff. You US guys just don't realise how hard it is for everyone else to get hold of good gear. The market in a lot of countries is too small for the trade to bother with.

I firmly believe is someone wants something, they are willing to pay the shipping cost to get it.

GT :blink:

And Some of us have the right not to screw around with shipping. OK OK If i am selling something and someone from here wanted it bad enough, YES I would ship, But in the norm, I dont care to ship outside US.

Just me, I hate the post office as much as i hate the bank lines. :angry:

and I cant see charging them a ALOT for something little to get it over to them.

Just my .02 cents

Tom

Tim, that one was not your fault, It just went POOF in the system somewhere, X Files stuff :D

I might be try'n a few new ones myself, might send ya another one too.

Back