Sealing Exhaust Ports

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jetpack

What can be done about the sleeve/crankcase fit to help seal around the exhaust?

140l0nn.jpg

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

One trick is a few wraps of thin Mil spec plumbers teflon tape around the liner. Xacto blade cut around all port windows.

Place liner in freezer, heat case up to @ 250*F or so.

* Liner should fall in place not disturbing the teflon tape ( May take a few trial & error attempts)

When the two parts equalize the tape fills the voids between the two and seals up around EX port as you want.

*** Note this is just a way of tightening up an excessive loose fit and not recommended at any other time.

We do this on some liner type sleeves in Gas engines, tho typically just above EX port to top of sleeves flange.

Just a suggestion :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Tom, You now owe me $600.00 for a new lap top as I just spit milk all over mine laughing at your post.........That is about the funniest post I have seen in a long time.

Eric

I was thinking cold tar.
laugh.gif

Tom's pic had me hoping it was a bear comming down on my ancient KB case trying to collapse the exhaust side for me.

Well, Here's to raw intake in your eye! Cannonball!!!

The teflon tape sounds tricky but I like it a bit better than slipping a rolling paper in the intake side to try and kick things over.

Will the tape glue the sleeve after it's run?

What can be done about the sleeve/crankcase fit to help seal around the exhaust?
Ok this is the best solution that i have found for sealing the liner to a crankcase get your self some silicon heat transfer compound that is used for computer components ether the white or the silver one will work smear a thin coat around the liner to cover the area above and below the ports then slowly fit the liner back into the case being careful not to wipe to much off, wipe off the excess from around the ports and the refit the head and tension.

You the need to warm the engine with a heat gun this will help set the compound but it wont go hard now go and run the engine under no circumstances should you disturb this fit without redoing it iv found this method to be very successful.

Paul

Call me controversial but I gotta call BS on this whole deal after running every motor made except Kalatistrov over the last thirty years .............never had one that had a stupidly loose liner case fit unless the motor is junk . Where does this stuff come from ?? Maybe I'm just a new nitro boater and have never seen this before ?? What are you guys talking about , and how have you arrived at this notion of percieved sealing needs ???????
ph34r.gif

You'll find it rebuilding old motors where varnish is removed from the bore of the crankcase, and also loosing fit cleaning the sleeve. Just dis-manteling it the first time after it's sit gummed up is enough to do it.

Some motors, like one of my older KB's haven't much web around the porting of the case to rely on that area sealing, and have lost their perfect factory fit, if it was there to start with.

By not having this sealed well, it will cause running problems such as a loose backplate would.

Next time you catch a lot of raw fuel/exhaust residue out the exhaust, this could be one of the problems.

I have bin told to make the liner slide in the case and even remove some from the top. When the eng comes up to temp the liner will expand more than the case. If it dose not have room to expand it will pinch the piston and prematurely were the piston. This sounds like the way it should be.

Tom that still not right twice. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

David

The bottom of the sleeve doen't expand as much as the top and part of the reason of it leaking even at temp.

Air is an insulator and if the sleeve doesn't touch the case it can't cool where they want it to cool.

The bottom of the sleeve doen't expand as much as the top and part of the reason of it leaking even at temp.

Air is an insulator and if the sleeve doesn't touch the case it can't cool where they want it to cool.
Scientific theory evaluation and analasys

1.¦Wherever possible there must be independent confirmation of the “facts”.

2.¦Encourage substantive debate on the evidence by knowledgeable proponents of all points of view.

3.¦Arguments from authority carry little weight – “authorities” have made mistakes in the past.

They will do so again in the future. Perhaps a better way to say it is that in science there are no authorities; at most, there are experts.

4.¦Spin more than one hypothesis.

If there’s something to be explained, think of all the different ways in which it could be explained.

Then think of tests by which you might systematically disprove each of the alternatives.

What survives, the hypothesis that resists disproof in this Darwinian selection among “multiple working hypotheses,”

has a much better chance of being the right answer than if you have simply run the with first idea that caught your fancy.

5.¦Try not to get overly attached to a hypothesis just because it’s yours.

It’s only a way station in the pursuit of knowledge. Ask yourself why you like the idea.

Compare it fairly with the alternatives. See if you can find reasons for rejecting it. If you don’t, others will.

6.¦Quantify.

If whatever it is you’re explaining has some measure, some numerical quantity attached to it,

you’ll be much better able to discriminate among competing hypotheses. What is vague and qualitative is open to many explanations.

Of course there are thruths to be sought in the many qualitative issues we are obliged to confront, but finding them is more challenging.

7.¦If there’s a chain of argument,everylink in the chain must work (including the premise) – not just most of them.

8.¦Occam’s Razor.

This convenient rule-of-thumb urges us when faced with two hypotheses that explain the data equally well to choose the simpler.

9.¦Always ask whether the hypothesis can be, at least in principle, falsified.

Propositions that are untestable, unfalsifiable are not worth much.

10.¦Pro Forma.

When left with no other avenues to pursue,As a last resort, always refer to the time tested rule of Pro Forma.

If it looks like, smells like and tastes like Pro Forma, it must be Pro forma.

dick

1.¦Wherever possible there must be independent confirmation of the “facts”.

2.¦Encourage substantive debate on the evidence by knowledgeable proponents of all points of view.

3.¦Arguments from authority carry little weight – “authorities” have made mistakes in the past.

They will do so again in the future. Perhaps a better way to say it is that in science there are no authorities; at most, there are experts.

If there’s something to be explained, think of all the different ways in which it could be explained.

Then think of tests by which you might systematically disprove each of the alternatives.

What survives, the hypothesis that resists disproof in this Darwinian selection among “multiple working hypotheses,”

has a much better chance of being the right answer than if you have simply run the with first idea that caught your fancy.

5.¦Try not to get overly attached to a hypothesis just because it’s yours.

It’s only a way station in the pursuit of knowledge. Ask yourself why you like the idea.

Compare it fairly with the alternatives. See if you can find reasons for rejecting it. If you don’t, others will.

6.¦Quantify.

If whatever it is you’re explaining has some measure, some numerical quantity attached to it,

you’ll be much better able to discriminate among competing hypotheses. What is vague and qualitative is open to many explanations.

Of course there are thruths to be sought in the many qualitative issues we are obliged to confront, but finding them is more challenging.

7.¦If there’s a chain of argument,everylink in the chain must work (including the premise) – not just most of them.

8.¦Occam’s Razor.

This convenient rule-of-thumb urges us when faced with two hypotheses that explain the data equally well to choose the simpler.

10.¦Pro Forma.

When left with no other avenues to pursue,As a last resort, always refer to the time tested rule of Pro Forma.

dick
Mr Jones,

Thank you for clearing that up.

your profuse profundity profoundly states proforma precisely. sorry for the profligacy.

Sorry Occam, just trying to help 660 years too late.

"Pluritas non es ponenda sine neccesitate"

Hanlon and Occam must have been drinkin' buddies.

1.¦Wherever possible there must be independent confirmation of the facts.

3.¦Arguments from authority carry little weight authorities have made mistakes in the past.

If theres something to be explained, think of all the different ways in which it could be explained.

What survives, the hypothesis that resists disproof in this Darwinian selection among multiple working hypotheses,

5.¦Try not to get overly attached to a hypothesis just because its yours.

Its only a way station in the pursuit of knowledge. Ask yourself why you like the idea.

Compare it fairly with the alternatives. See if you can find reasons for rejecting it. If you dont, others will.

6.¦Quantify.

If whatever it is youre explaining has some measure, some numerical quantity attached to it,

youll be much better able to discriminate among competing hypotheses. What is vague and qualitative is open to many explanations.

7.¦If theres a chain of argument,everylink in the chain must work (including the premise) not just most of them.

8.¦Occams Razor.

10.¦Pro Forma.

dick
Mr Jones,

Thank you for clearing that up.

your profuse profundity profoundly states proforma precisely. sorry for the profligacy.

Sorry Occam, just trying to help 660 years too late.

"Pluritas non es ponenda sine neccesitate"

Hanlon and Occam must have been drinkin' buddies.
O MY GOD

I almost lost it, I said almost .I don't drink much any more but I think I need one now.

Tom its all your fault. BAD TOM BAD See what you started

Now you got Dick spewing Pro Forma and Randy talking Latin.

PS I had to pull out some Frank Zappa to calm my nerves last night after all this.

Why go through all the trouble of trying to seal the port with teflon when you can just get a sleeve expander.

They are kinda hard to find on ebay but just keep looking you will find them. :)

Back