Seaducer 60/80 methanol to gas conversion

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhomodel

For some time I have been looking for a cheap Seaducer to convert to a SAW mono gasser. Choice for seaducer is obvious as it is about the fastest mono you can buy with many SAW records. I don't want to spend too much on the project, so decided to buy a used hull and no special light lay-up exotic material boat. Found one via international waters, complete with hardware that would fit gasprops. Upon receipt the boat looks good, but I always want to do better and the engine rails are really too low for gas mounts so had to remove these. This works excellent with a heatgun, you just have to be carefull to heat just enough to remove material and not deform the whole boat, making it useless. During stripping found a nice surprise ( already tought the cloth was yellowed) turns out boat is layed up in Kevlar (aramide), making it a very strong but not brittle like carbon hull. In the coming weeks will post a few pictures and describe how I solve a few issues (as there are as the boat is actually not suited for a gasser)

For some time I have been looking for a cheap Seaducer to convert to a SAW mono gasser. Choice for seaducer is obvious as it is about the fastest mono you can buy with many SAW records. I don't want to spend too much on the project, so decided to buy a used hull and no special light lay-up exotic material boat. Found one via international waters, complete with hardware that would fit gasprops. Upon receipt the boat looks good, but I always want to do better and the engine rails are really too low for gas mounts so had to remove these. This works excellent with a heatgun, you just have to be carefull to heat just enough to remove material and not deform the whole boat, making it useless. During stripping found a nice surprise ( already tought the cloth was yellowed) turns out boat is layed up in Kevlar (aramide), making it a very strong but not brittle like carbon hull. In the coming weeks will post a few pictures and describe how I solve a few issues (as there are as the boat is actually not suited for a gasser)
the 47 seaducer is a great gas boat. The lazer 40-45 are great gassers too. The lazer has lit bitty strakes for less drag.....

I know Joe, but Lazers are more for endurance and heat racing, while the seaducer also has very short strakes and a proven track record. Lazer 45 does not get very much higher then 60 no matter how much you tweak, expect more from the little 60/80 (in SAW smaller is better).

Here are the pictures. The last picture shows the cuts I made to allow mounting the gas engine enough forward and clear the carb. Don't worry, these places will be reinforced from the inside later with epoxy and carbon kevlar matt.

Seaducer_01.jpg

PICT0120.JPG

strippen1.JPG

strippen4.jpg

strippen5.JPG

strippen8.JPG

strippen9.JPG

Back