Scale turbines

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Starrett

Supporting Member
I'm finally finishing up my 1/8 scale rebuild and I'm up to the point of clearing the finish. One thing I haven't done yet is build an engine for it. It is the U-21 boat and has the partially exposed turbine without a long tube. I was hoping some of you would post a picture or 2 of how you did this type of engine. Not asking for detailed build instructions, I just want to see what the final product was and (in a few words) what you used to build it

Thanks, Mike

268322_226457270711967_223817974309230_809950_4977298_n.jpg

IMG_20120904_123651.jpg

I picked this one up from Don F. Pretty simple once I saw how he made it. Balsa block turned down, wrapped with foil and a plastic tube for the exhaust.

Mike

parts 265.jpg

parts 267.jpg

No credit due me for making this. Don Ferrette made this one and passed it on to me when he changed the scheme for his T-6 frame kit to the Valken.

I did give me some good ideas though. :)

Mike

Mike, i use a progresso soup can (the bottom resembles a turbine) and wrap it with the color cloth with bands around it and hot melt it to the underneath. get a plastic cup with the tight angle. paint it silver. (looks pretty scale)

Mike, i use a progresso soup can (the bottom resembles a turbine) and wrap it with the color cloth with bands around it and hot melt it to the underneath. get a plastic cup with the tight angle. paint it silver. (looks pretty scale)
Looks like what they did here . No offense to rcboat company but I couldnt give them $75.00 for that.

This is obviously a RMO - rich mans option.

Hugh

Last edited:
Looks like what they did here . No offense to rcboat company but I couldnt give them $75.00 for that.

This is obviously a RMO - rich mans option.

Hugh
Maybe as you say the RMO, but lots of time goes into these, more than is being charged for. I should know, I'm the one building them... FYI, there's no plastic in these. Only thing in these that is off-the-shelf is the soupcan and fasteners.

Maybe as you say the RMO, but lots of time goes into these, more than is being charged for. I should know, I'm the one building them... FYI, there's no plastic in these. Only thing in these that is off-the-shelf is the soupcan and fasteners.
Todd those look great. I had not seen those before! I hope you like soup I bet they will sell like hot cakes!!!

Okay guys, are these "soupcan" turbines for the gas or nitro scale boats? I know the one Bob did for the nitro 2000 Elam is a work of art

Last edited by a moderator:
Todd those look great. I had not seen those before! I hope you like soup I bet they will sell like hot cakes!!!
Thanks, can't take credit for the idea for these. We got it from Bob Hulliger, then I changed it slightly. Luckily, Steve G likes soup.

They are the same basic dimensions as Bob's.

They look great. I saw one that i guess Bob built for Don Ferrette. I will be getting one or more of these down the road. I think $75 is a very fair price. The detail is excellent! Thanks for offering these to us! Mike

Please stick to building boats coz you clearly know zero about psychology. "Hes angry coz he said the price is out of his range for what it is " yeah sure dude thats it. "bingo" LOL I see you love to put word in peoples mouths and thoughts in there mind. One word - WRONG! never said i didnt like them or they didnt look good i said 75.00 was a steep price for me and it is.

whatever negativity you and your vast imagination create is your mess and ill let you deal with it. I dont have time for the nonsense of you just trying to start something.

Later

Hugh
WOW

Latest posts

Back