Sad News for the Model Boating Community

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got to talk to Bob about building sport 40 boats at the Evansville race. Very helpful and a great guy to talk to. My condolences to the family especially at this time of the year.

R.i.p bob you will be missed by many scale hydro guys for the wealth of knowledge & offering of photos of boat to all , an eager to please kind of guy.

I met Bob Johnson in San Diego about 20 plus years a go. The loss of Bob Johnson is very sad news. I know that he and Rick were very close friends. Bob would talk about him all the time when it came to Scale Unlmiiteds and Sport 40 boats. You would get an e-mail from Bob that always concluded with HAR... HAR...HAR. That was his signature.

I think that it was his dad that designed the first WOF boats and Bob carried on the tradition of scratch building to this day. A skill not seen by many today.

You will be missed Bob. Rest in peace my friend.

Al Waters

Last edited by a moderator:
Rick, I cant even to begin to to imagine the loss your feeling right now, but I know it well...I had to go through this about 3 years ago with a long time friend that I lost. I knew Bob was one of "those guys" with the very first chats we ever had right here on IW. When I had the privilege of meeting an talking with him in person at a Winternats, I knew I nailed it! He was so helpful, and so passionate about this hobby, and he just had fun with all of it. I will miss his advice, his humor, especially his quirky little harmless quotes and shots at me and especially at you when the two of you messed with each other on here, and his well wishes to anyone he corresponded with. Seems the price we pay for the joy in life we experience with the blessing of family and wonderful friends we aquire, is the sorrow we have to endure with their loss..........its worth it. CHEERS, Bill

Very sad news. Bob was a scale man to the core. I had the pleasure of racing with him and his father. He will be greatly missed! My thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

Steve Ball

I am truly shocked to hear this for he had just P M me a few days ago that he was doing fine and not to worry... God speed my friend I will truly miss you..

Wow, sad news for the boating community as we lost a friend and very knowledgeable boater in our hobby. Condolences to his wife and family.

Its hard to believe that Bob is gone.I raced with Bob and his father ,Gus all the years Bob lived in south Florida. You could not find a better racer then Bob and Gus. Even when Bob moved to Texas we stayed in touch and he showed me his latest boat building projects. I can honestly say that Bob could build a boat. His build were widely known in Florida. There are some of his boats still running ,ask Rick Ballinger.Bob and Gus had the old fashion values which made them unique and well respected. It was these values that us old fashion guys admired and appreciated. It is very hard for me to see many of the district 3 rc boaters pass away over my thirty four years in boat racing. Bob will be missed dearly and condolences to Mary and his family. Dan Mccormick--namba 221

I remember meeting Gus & Bob in Detroit for the Mini Gold Cup in the 70's and doing lots of props or them in later years. Both great people and surely missed by the hobby and their family.

John

Very sad news , I. wish I'd had the chance to meet Bob ,he seemed to me like someone you could relate to easily and enjoy a beer and a laugh with even if you weren't into boats. We had been exchanging emails recently ,with Bob happily offering photos and advice on scale boats whenever I had asked for it.RIP Bob.

Wow, I just saw this and can't believe it. We were swapping emails barely 2 weeks back, sent Bob some paint codes he needed for a fellow boater. Truly sad news, we lost a good one................
default_sad.png

Wow the world just became an even darker place! Bob could brighten any day with his jovial way! What a true friend he has been to me for more than 25 years. You will be sorely missed my friend!

Ron

Bob always took an interest in my Sport 20 projects. We had many great e-mail exchanges. Model boating can bridge political differences. A definite loss to the rc model boating community.

JD

Rick,

I hadn't heard this till today, I'm broken with you Brother!! It gives me the good feeling that he is there with Gus,My Dad, Johnny, Barry, Art and all the greats taking orders as a rookie again!!! God Speed my Friend and tcondolences go out to the entire Johnson family. I have to say there is new enthusiasm to get the Winston running because I got the engine from Bob!!!

Later!!

Pat

Thanks Rick - I know this is tough for you. I am stunned by this news. I only knew Bob thru our e-mail exchanges but his messages always brightened my day. You could just tell - He was the genuine article! As I am writing this, Pink Floyd's "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" is on the radio - Seems right! Bob must have been content with the life he lived. He will be dearly missed & thought of often.

Larry

Just found out today.Spoke with Mary,shes hanging in there.Still in shock over it.

What a great loss to the boating world.Bob was one of a kind and a hellava builder and designer.Will miss you.

I too just found out about this sad news. I was in the hospital from Dec. 24th thru the 28th. I never had the pleasure of meeting Bob in person but exchanged a lot of information and pictures of the full size unlimited thru e-mail. I think the paint codes he was looking for were for me Don. My heart goes out to his family and friends.

Glenn Gates

All around great guy Bob you will be missed. I had just exchanged emails on Dec. 16 and I just found out today. Sad day

Sad news! Bob and his brother Gus had a positive influence on me and my r/c boating since the mid 70's, not to mention the multitudes of racers they came in contact with.

Bob and Gus always projected the brightest and positive attitude in every situation.

Our condolances go out to Bob's family.

Andy, John, Donna.

Latest posts

Back