Running Hardware Help!

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcboatlover

Ok I have a Dumas Little Raskel with a HB .12 . The stuffing tube is 3/16 and is for a flex shaft. The question is what should I do for the prop shaft? Does anyone make a 5/32" prop shaft counter bored for a .130 or .150 shaft?

I have a prop shaft that is 1/8" in diameter for a .098 flex shaft. Can I use this by soldering a 5/32" tube to it? Will the .098 cable be strong enough?

I could really use the help!

I used 1/8" flex in my L'il Rascal (Hydro-plow) and it seemed more than adequate for the .15. Take Ron's advice though--keep as much of the flex inclosed as possible. Cable that small tends to whip if left out in the open, making the end of the stuffing tube a whole bunch bigger than it's supposed to. You may have enough room to use a teflon liner.

I say bush that puppy and let 'er rip! ;D

I built the same boat, while Toms Firefighter and the others were still in the works. I used a .130 cable with an Octura oc6sbepa strut blade and oc6130ps prop shaft. The shaft is for 3/16 props and is counterbored for .130 cable. With the power of the motors today,finding a prop with the 1/8th hub with enough diameter and pitch will be tough.Tom suggested I start with a 1640 and try a 937/3. The 1640 launched real nice,but does the 937 rip.I'm runnin a side exhaust round port picco .12 and that little booger really gets it.

Hey Prop jockey,why you call it a water plow.Mine skips across the water like a bumble bee on steroids.I've got a hybrid firefighter in the works with a rossi black pixy that looks like it should really kick butt. Like Pontiac says,wider is better.

There is enough room to run the 1/8" cable with a teflon liner. I will make sure to do that. What do you say I do with the prop shaft? Use the 1/8" shaft, bush it with a 5/32" tube, and then use a 3/16" tube for a prop adapter? Like Rick said I plan to use props with a 3/16" hub. If I do it this way what should I do for a drive dog? Do they make a 5/32" dog? I really wish I would have used something different for the stuffing tube, to make this part easier! What did Dumas give you for a prop shaft?

I wish I had a camera so I could take some pictures!

When I opened The hardware from Dumas I just started laughing,kept the flex shaft and chucked the rest in the trash. The prop shaft was joined to the cable with a brass tube that also served as a bushing. The shaft was 1/8 with a hole for a little wire to use as a drive dog.Bahahahahahaha. If it was me,I'd step down the tube or fit the liner into the strut blade I mentioned above and use the counterbored prop shaft.The strut blade already has the nosepiece and bearings installed. This will eliminate the need to bush props and holds up very well.

Are you guys actually getting water cooled heads for yours or are you running them straight air-cooled? Tom's photo of the FF .12 looks air-cooled? Do they make straight up boat motors in that size complete w/flywheel? or do I need to have someone make them. I've only run big motors and have never owned something this small.

Hey Rick,

And I'll bet when you got that Dumas hardware at the time there was probably no e-bay to unload on either! LOL

It's amazing what people can buy and sell there.

FYI

The Fullers hardware is about the toughest I have ever seen.

While most people think of it as electric use only, it is way stronger than most of the "Nitro" hardware.

The flex shaft is .130. The stub shafts are 3/16" and are available with a step down for small 1/8" bore props if required.

The machining is second to none, and talk about light.

The drive dog is already attached to the stub with a roll pin, not a pathetic little set screw that will let go after a few runs.

Does it sound like I am hooked on this stuff? YOU BET!!!

I will never use anything else again. Why would I? It's alread the best.

I have also worked with Ray to design a system for those of you who want the rudder to kick up if the boat hits something.

Peter

So what you are saying is that I should add a strut / rudder assembly to the back. As you know the boat is designed with the strut built in to the hull. I fugured that this was good enough entill I tried to get parts to finish it. I don't want to spend any mort cash on this one, but I think your on to something. A seperate strut would definatly do the job! Guess I will have to go shopping. :( Does Fullers have a web site?

Thanks for the help guys !

Air cooled works just fine. At the speed these boats are running,you get so much more airflow than you ever would in a car you could probably build a cowl to hide most of the head,and possibly aid in downforce. Believe it or not,that dumas hardware is what they still sell. They have no clue or just don't care. They are really missing the boat on the little boat craze.

where do you guys get your collets? im running a .18 and i bought a collet from fine design and it was for electric!!!!which was a bummer :'( :'(

do yall know of a collet that would fit my .18??? if so halla back

matt

$13.00 ! I'm sold! But where can I get one? Is there a web site? I really like the idea of running a .130 cable and using a 3/16" prop shaft, (which I have already).

Bubba, If you run accross two of thoes collets I need one too!!! Does Fullers have these also?

No website. I have my local shop order what I need.You can order direct from Octura but you pay full retail.Most good shops give you a break. Have to send them a money order or go cod if they will because they don't take plastic,or at least not in the past. Send me an e-mail with what you need and I'll give you all the part #s

Oh! I thought you were talking about Fullers Hardware. Yeah, I have a Octura catalog (kinda) it came from a web site. It hase a nice strut assembly for .10 - .15 engines. It comes with everything for $33.95. Were talking flex cable, prop shaft, mounting bracket, drive dog, tail nut, and much more. Not too bad for the price, but I wonder if my rudder will still fit with it? I made a custon rudder that mounts to the right side of the transom. The part # is OC6SBCOML64. What is the part # for your strut?

Rick do you have a picture of your boat? I would love to see the transom if you could take one.

Latest posts

Back