Rudder torque?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think they were rated at over 7kg of torque! Brain cells have been a little bit drained lately so I could be wrong. They are a Standard sized servo = same as the cheapies that come with radio sets...

Hey Don GREAT SITE with good prices! I never heard of this site before have you ordered anything from them in the past? If so, was your experiance with the company a good one?

Thanks

Craig,

That thing is a serious bit of gear!

I think you would bend a rudder before you would have torque problems with that servo....

Tim.

okay thanks guys,

the reason i was worried is my Pheonix's "radio box" [not really a box, just a section of the hull with a hatch]

has two wood bars running parallel with screwholes opposite each other to mount the servos, and the bars are mounted with enough space between to mount a standard s3003, so anything longer than that would be bad news.

Joe

Craig,

That's the one! That is what Eric A is using. You should know as well as I that Eric is a pretty fussy man when it comes to equipment, and if he says they are good I would tend to believe him. Much cheaper than the Multiplex too. And probably quicker. Should be the go.

Ian.

Tim,

Depends how you use them, I use 4-40 on the 'Bird, but it is dead straight and runs thru small holes so it cant bend or flex under load. With the V-twin boat I had the rudder on the left, so it was pulled to turn right. Again the rod is straight.

I had some small diameter carbon tube that I was going to epoxy over the 4-40 rod to stiffen it up, but found I didn't need it. Radio seal would have been a bit harder too!

Hey Dale, what do you use for pushrods?

Ian.

I would be concerned about the rods snapping at the ends - unless ( brain started working as I started typing ???) you don't use threads and use soldered fittings. Soldering a brass tube over the rod stiffens them up too but carbon would be better / lighter.

Pond,

I haven't bought from these people before. You will find the same servos and prices at Tower Hobbies and I have never had any problems with them at all. Servo City is a great place to look up specs on any servo. I'm not sure what arms come with thier servos but at Tower they will show them in the picture and give you that information.

Just go to Tower Hobbies and type in Hitec in the search box.

Don

Tim,

Good point about snapping the ends. I use one end soldered and one threaded, and I have seen the threaded parts break off (my throttle link on the mono in practice at the nats!). But this way I can slip them through the box seals easily. I use bike wheel spokes for 2-56 push-rods, these are much stronger than Dubro. Does anyone know if thicker bike spokes are made?

Ian.

Back