Servo for Rudder on SLR Missile

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terry Heddin

Getting ready to start my SLR Missile build and need to know how much torque I will need for rudder servo? I have a lot of equipment left over from my big R/C airplanes builds and thought I might have what I need in my stash.

Your boat is going to be heavy, relatively speaking. I'd be looking at something in the 300+ range. That might be overkilll but, when you look at what could happen with a servo that's too small.........

With proper linkage geometry, anything around 150ozin will be plenty. Use all of the available servo travel to get the needed rudder travel. If you fly large aircraft, you probabaly have a servo that will fill the need. It seems that as available torque goes up, People think you have to have it. Digital is nice, but not a deal breaker. As you build ask questions, Joe writes great instructions, but there is a lot of experience here.

Last edited:
If you have any large scale (1/5 size) servos I'd go with that. While big numbers impress, torque rating isn't the end all. The larger gears in the big servos are stronger since the load is presented over a larger area. With that big a hull space isn't an issue and the boat won't even notice the few extra ounces of the bigger servo. :cool:

I’m running the Savox 1210 servos in all my gas boats. I think it’ll provide 270 oz in at 6.6 volts. I run Blazer Lauterbachs, Backlashes, and Slingshot outriggers. I’ve never had one fail. I’ve had other Savox servos fail for throttle but never this model. Pro Modeler seems to make some nice ones as well that I may try at some point.

Back