RTR rules

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The fly wheel is already there you have not moded anything so still considered stock.

like was stated above ya need to check your local rule i know here we have to have the pull start in place for stock, mod motors can't be over $100 off the shelf (due to claimer clause) <<<< hope that goes away!

since they run stock and mod together it doesn't matter.

Bill I am waiting on some new parts for my motor. I should have the stuff by next weekend, so hopefully I will have enough time to get it back together as well as some test time so that I can be competitive with you guys
I hope that you will be able to getr back together..i think youll have alot of fun regardless of how any of us do!! What prop are you using? im running a grim 36x55mm on mine and it works really good without loading the engine too much.. Have fun!! Bill

Bill I have a few different props that I am going to test. y535, 437/3, 638, and I think I have something else in there. I may have to try the 36 x 55 and see how that works.

like was stated above ya need to check your local rule i know here we have to have the pull start in place for stock, mod motors can't be over $100 off the shelf (due to claimer clause) <<<< hope that goes away!
The claimer rule sounds great. It keeps the cost of the class down. Those who are inclined to spend money on high $ engines have plenty of other classes to throw the cash at. It's nice to see efforts to keep RTR oriented toward low cost racing.

Chuck: You are right about the claimer rule, It keeps the cost down for the rtr class by not allowing the high dollar tz's and cvrm's to beat the Aqua motor. The mod class was restricted to allow racers to mod their stock motor and not just bolt in the latest wiz bang high buck motor. We need to remember that the RTR class is an entry level class for the beginner and if you want to go faster there is always Sport 20 and other classes. I think that most districts have been great at keeping the class low buck and fun for the beginner, just because alot of seasoned racers have started running this class doesn't make it a free for all on the rules. keep it simple and have fun.

Chuck: You are right about the claimer rule, It keeps the cost down for the rtr class by not allowing the high dollar tz's and cvrm's to beat the Aqua motor. The mod class was restricted to allow racers to mod their stock motor and not just bolt in the latest wiz bang high buck motor. We need to remember that the RTR class is an entry level class for the beginner and if you want to go faster there is always Sport 20 and other classes. I think that most districts have been great at keeping the class low buck and fun for the beginner, just because alot of seasoned racers have started running this class doesn't make it a free for all on the rules. keep it simple and have fun.

lol i knew that would start something, oh well, i can understand that you don't to have people run $500 AB modded TZ's, or what ever they cost but i also don't think the guys running tz's or cvrm's should have to battle it out with mac, cmb, nr 21's either. oh well love hobby ill race were im told!! Rick you'll see this weekend that my cvrm can't hang with the big boy 21's but ill try!! oh and your right about not taking away from the whole "theme" if you will of RTR, but if your good enough to mod a aqu motor internals then your not new at this hobby and can hang with someone like me that bought a cvrm for $80 used, just my humble thoughts on this stock = stock, mod = mod, 21 = 21 lol but dang if i wont try and run down the 21's!!!!! see ya sunday i hope

Last edited by a moderator:
The claimer rule sounds great. It keeps the cost of the class down. Those who are inclined to spend money on high $ engines have plenty of other classes to throw the cash at. It's nice to see efforts to keep RTR oriented toward low cost racing.

Chuck and Rick...EXACTLY! There are a bagillion other classes offered to let a racer do whatever he or she wants and spend as much as he or she wants to spend to go fast...we NEED this class for racers on a budget... ESPECIALLY beginers! Even sticking a 150.00 cvrm in the boat is more doable than a 3 to 4 hundred dollar 20 engine..when you break down the cost of one of these boats, no other class even comes close, and im NOT knocking the other classes at all, i race in other classes, but look at the price of even a competitve 20 tunnel hull...300.00 just for the hull, 300.00 for the engine, 200.00 for the radio...oh are you going to run 2 or 3 channels in the boat? theres another 70 to 80 dollars right there! Ive said this before, if i totalled my Vegas, id be on the phone that day getting a new one and now you can pruchase one for 200.00!! aint that cool! Im still using the AM radio that came with mine with absolutly no problems! If i had it my way we wouldnt be allowed to use any other motor than the motor made for the boat, stock or mod... Bill

Hey guys I would like to pose a question in reguards to rtr boat rules.

A couple of things I was wondering about

1 Who determines what makes a boat rtr?

2 where are the clasifacations in the rulebook?

3 How does the governing body determine if a boat is considered rtr?

I'm asking these questions because there is a lot of my understanding is and this is how we do it and it should be fairly simple to answer these questions in a straight forward manor.

Thank you for your help with shedding some light on these issues.

Stan

Here freeze Ill help you

answer to #1------NOT YOU OR I

answer to #2------you can only see them when you sprinkle ferry dust over the master copy

answer to #3------They look at who has the biggest sponsorship donation

Hope I shed some light on things as to how they really are ;) LOL

STOCK IS STOCK, MOD IS MOD HOW CAN YOU EVEN THINK TO LIMIT MOD??? :angry: if you dont wanna play with mod boats stay stock, all your comments lead me to belive you all should race stock. if your new stock is for you, if your new run novice, if your new like me and wanna learn how to mod, dont plan on racing :huh: ..... thats what this all sounds like to me. how many people here have mod boats? if you do, do you run stock also? i have both and run both, when i started this hobby i ran stock, still do, now im modding my own stuff so i wanna run mod, if your mod is better than mine GREAT i will learn from you, if your newer than me and need help ill help, isnt that what this is all about? leaning and growing with the hobby? if you limit the .18 MODs the cheapest way to learn, why would anyone wanna jump into $1000 worth of good sport 20? ok my rants over go ahead and tear into me again!!!! :ph34r: B) i can handle it!!! :p

Hey guys I would like to pose a question in reguards to rtr boat rules.A couple of things I was wondering about

1 Who determines what makes a boat rtr?

2 where are the clasifacations in the rulebook?

3 How does the governing body determine if a boat is considered rtr?

I'm asking these questions because there is a lot of my understanding is and this is how we do it and it should be fairly simple to answer these questions in a straight forward manor.

Thank you for your help with shedding some light on these issues.

Stan
I've run through a bunch of different approaches in deciding to answer your questions. Finally I decided on this one. These rules have been discussed at length over the last 2 years. It is now time to vote yes or no. Input from many different sources was used to put them down on paper. Are they perfect? Absolutely not. Are they way better than the production RTR rules that are in the rule book now? Yup, they sure are. Do they provide an organization wide framework on which clubs and districts can hold RTR races? Yes, they do. There was a need for rules to be put in place, so Kelly and I did just that.

I wouldn't be surprised to hear that James is over in his private little world spouting off with questions and veiled complaints about the rules. No doubt my name has come up at least once in his diatribes, but since he has ensured that anyone who would disagree with him is locked out of the site, I don't know exactly what he's saying over there. Is he still claiming I don't run RTRs? :p My guess is that your questions are a direct result of his troublemaking. I've had enough of his anti-social behavior and having him stir up trouble rather than learning how to get along with people. While he's been pissing off people and trying to divide boaters by stirring up trouble in his twisted little world, other people have been out making things happen. So, the bottom line is that I have no interest in participating in a discussion here merely to quiet down Mr Barringer, or to provide fodder for him to comment on over there.

And since it seems it's not obvious to some, Phil Thomas and Andy Brown market an entirely different level of products to an largely different group of customers than Aquacraft and Proboat market their RTR products to. Oh, and Sport 20 hydro is an entirely different animal than RTR. ;)

you know i could just feel a technical writing coming from someplace---always is.

NOW why not just do this----KILL the RTR class both stock and mod relieve lots of stress its been the most piss poor excuse for everyone to fight over for "two years" < that in itself is a joke get real two years to figure out rules LMAO-------

REVISE the already existing IMPBA CLASS A to fit the .18 engine (get with the times)and call it a day seriously there arnt that many .12 boats aqround as a whole---new guys have an entery level class they can go so their not left out anyplace----- You Kill the call letters "R.T.R" you solve many issues

first off I didn't think asking some simple questions would stir such a fuss

second I am certainly not attacking anyone so I don't see why there is a need to be so defencive.

wow, ok chuck I thought the answers would be pretty simple to give as they are simple questions.

I would like to know that sence when is asking questions troublemaking? There are a lot of boaters that don't know what the rules are and who made them why is it so hard to answer in a calm manner insted of bringing up people not even involved with this post.

just wondering

if it is an item that can be voted on than why can't it be discussed in an open forum. some good solutions may come out of the discussion like just making a .18 class just like the .21 class you will only atract more people to the hobby and to the clubs by doing it so it's a win win.

Because freeze the rules at hand have been discussed again for "two years" and there is still the same old go nowhere argument thats been there since day one-------race the **** boats and call it a day-------

side note-----chuck didnt know you were doing youtube videos in your free time :huh:

dont cry just screwin with ya! :lol:

first off I didn't think asking some simple questions would stir such a fusssecond I am certainly not attacking anyone so I don't see why there is a need to be so defencive.

wow, ok chuck I thought the answers would be pretty simple to give as they are simple questions.

I would like to know that sence when is asking questions troublemaking? There are a lot of boaters that don't know what the rules are and who made them why is it so hard to answer in a calm manner insted of bringing up people not even involved with this post.

just wondering

if it is an item that can be voted on than why can't it be discussed in an open forum. some good solutions may come out of the discussion like just making a .18 class just like the .21 class you will only atract more people to the hobby and to the clubs by doing it so it's a win win.

2. Internal Combustion Engine Classes

Class Cubic Inch Displacement Metric Class

A 0.000 thru 0.129 2.1 CC

B 0.130 thru 0.219 3.5 CC

C 0.220 thru 0.300 4.9 CC

D 0.301 thru 0.458 7.5 CC

E 0.459 thru 0.670 11.0 CC

F 0.671 thru 1.830 30.0 CC

This is right out of the rule book. So I believe that you can run a .18 in class B if you like. I believe the "RTR" class was to keep the cost down and promote the hobby to new people.

Thanks,

Zach

WOW! I had no idea that there was so much heat over an RTR boat! IM glad I dont take this hobby too seriously! It is after all just a HOBBY! I have seen this happen in slot cars, RC cars, and RC boats.. WHY cant we have just ONE CLASS that is STOCK....I said STOCK!!!! RTR racing is by far the lowest cost form of nitro racing there is by a LONG SHOT! imagine how cheap it would stay if it stayed STOCK......and it would not matter if the driver was a begineer or a 25 year vet! it would be about setting the boat up, which is what a begineer should learn FIRST and than getting experiance driving the boat...if the RTR driver feels the need for more speed and is willing to spend some money then he goes to the OTHER 9 MILLLION CLASSES THAT ALLOW HIM TO DO JUST THAT! if hes happy with staying in RTR than he can...Aquacraft produces an RTR boat.... lots of people bought one... i did...whats wrong with that? God! i just dont get it.

you know i could just feel a technical writing coming from someplace---always is.
Yet again, you're proving that you are little but one of James' mouthpieces. It's a shame that you've chosen to infect yet another IW thread with such crap.

NOW why not just do this----KILL the RTR class both stock and mod relieve lots of stress its been the most piss poor excuse for everyone to fight over for "two years" < that in itself is a joke get real two years to figure out rules LMAO-------
The only fighting I've seen appears to be coming from one source. Everyone else has been able to have civil discussions about it. The only joke is that a small number of people continue to be enamored with a malcontent who has trouble getting along with anyone who doesn't bow down to his twisted way of thinking.

REVISE the already existing IMPBA CLASS A to fit the .18 engine (get with the times)and call it a day seriously there arnt that many .12 boats aqround as a whole---new guys have an entery level class they can go so their not left out anyplace----- You Kill the call letters "R.T.R" you solve many issues
I'm really surprised that someone who has been watching this discussion for so long would forget some of the reasons why your suggestion won't work. For example, if the A class was changed, what does that do for people with RTR boats that have .32 engines in them? And what happens when the manufacturers decide to end production of .18 sized boats and change to .25s instead? Do we then suggest that we should change the IMPBA B class to fit the whims of the RTR manufacturers? The .18s already have a place to run in non-RTR IMPBA classes if they so desire, in the B class. And where's the value in telling someone with a $300 boat that they should race it against people who spend that much or more on just the engine? Perhaps you've lost sight of who the RTR class is designed for?

Because freeze the rules at hand have been discussed again for "two years" and there is still the same old go nowhere argument thats been there since day one-------race the **** boats and call it a day-------
Mike, as I said in the other post, the argument seems to be coming from one source. Lots of us have been racing, but the leg work of getting rules in place needed to be done too.

first off I didn't think asking some simple questions would stir such a fusssecond I am certainly not attacking anyone so I don't see why there is a need to be so defencive.

just wondering

Look at the RTR rules in the book today for an example. The class was designed for a specific boat that fell flat on its face. IMPBA was left with a class that had no viable boats. Let's say we implement a sport 18 hydro. What happens when the manufacturers decide to stop making a .18 RTR? When they come out with a popular .25 cat do we then implement a sport 25 cat class? How does a sport 18 hydro class help people with mono and cat RTR boats, or RTRs with different engine sizes? And what does a .18 sport hydro class do for people who want to race a nitro SuperVee, TC31, etc? And if you do a sport 18 hydro class, what do you do tell the RTR people who bought $300 RTR boats when others start showing up with $300 engines in custom, significantly more expensive, hulls? Don't say it won't happen, because it already does in other classes or types of racing.

Custom .18 sized sport hydros don't need a new class, they can run in sport 21 hydro. If the smaller engine displacement is a problem, the builder could choose to run a .21 instead.

Our district has used the RTR class to be inclusive, letting a variety or RTR boats run, rather than excluding anyone who didn't buy the right kind of RTR.

Back