Rigger Design

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
both can be made to work. I think it depends on ski width, and where the balance point on the hull is. It has to be quite a bit further back on a boat with a ski.

both can be made to work. I think it depends on ski width, and where the balance point on the hull is. It has to be quite a bit further back on a boat with a ski.
Yes, true. I've been playing with this measurement on a couple of different hulls in the past. My width on the Ski is 1-1/16" and It equals out to the 1/3 rule. You can actually go wider, but I found that it works for my set-up. Width of Hull 1/3=Ski width..

Yes, true. I've been playing with this measurement on a couple of different hulls in the past. My width on the Ski is 1-1/16" and It equals out to the 1/3 rule. You can actually go wider, but I found that it works for my set-up. Width of Hull 1/3=Ski width..
The ski on my AJM Rev2 turned out to be closer to 7/8 inches I think. Going to see how that bad boy works out.

The original Raptor P spec riggers ran a ski. The new ones run sponsons on otherwise the same boat. The builder, Brian Buaas, thinks the rear sponsons handle slightly better. They are also more foolproof to set up. I don't see any difference when the boats run the same prop. All our SAW riggers run skis. They might have lower straightline drag, but I haven't tested that. I think some people like country and others like rock n roll.

Lohring Miller

I don't think the the ski width should be relative to the the tub width, but relative to the planned weight on the strut. The ski seems to have less drag and easier to launch but prop changes my not be as noticeable.

Just my opinion..

If you look at the back of a SGX it has a ski and small out side ride pad along with a wing to push it down and also a out ward angle to the wings to help it run strait.

Seams this set up has it all.

David

Sometimes parts and pieces are added to a boat for pure cosmetic reasons, some times not. When hulls are tested in the Wal Mart and/or Chevy pickup wind tunnel, you can tell the difference. Sometimes the parts are too small to make any difference at all.

I know a VERY fast boater on the west coast that does not run either shoes or rear pads. He also spends a LOT of time on props.

When the dust settles, I go with Don's opinion.

Charles is right, about thirty years ago I removed the "training wheels"! LOL Never looked back.

Happy New Year everone

Don

Last edited by a moderator:
When I was testing my 21 keps rigger I tried the ski it was not right for the boat but had to try it. got pissed of at the pond one day and knock off the ski with the plug wrench. noting on the back and it ran much better. I think that if it had the right strut it would have bin ideal. the strut was one I cut short to push down over the edge of the ski so it had a flat end. put the shoes back on and it ran real good. I will go back and test with just the right strut on the back next. the struts Mark is selling are real nice for this set up. thy are a copy of Andy's long leg strut. I run one on my 21 Cal Craft and it works killer.

I also run the bigger one on my 45 Cal Craft.

As far as the new SGX-2 with out the ski wish I could get one. But I don't think the large ABC props I am testing would like that set up. need the ski to lift the ass out of the water with the low lift props. Ass dragger's need special props to run good. this kinda limits you to prop choices. Also takes power to lift the ass out of the water.Cleaver props with a lot of rake suck the ass down but free up power.

Try runing the props I am running on any other boat and tell me what happens or dose not happen.

Ross tried runing one of these ass dragers with a gas eng and it would never run right. the front would dance all over the place.

Now with my testing I can see why.The prop he was runing was sucking the ass down.

David

Last edited by a moderator:
Mr. Hargett, first, I was not addressing you. Second, your opinion is based on assumptions and speculations. I was talking FACTS.You have no way of knowing what is on anyones mind or why they did something. You butt in on other peoples threads when the question was directly addressed to another person. You came on IW calling people idiots, stupid, zero skills, ect. I have not seen anything positive that YOU have contributed to IW.

Stay off of my threads.

Charles Perdue

Mr. Hargett, first, I was not addressing you. Second, your opinion is based on assumptions and speculations. I was talking FACTS.You have no way of knowing what is on anyones mind or why they did something. You butt in on other peoples threads when the question was directly addressed to another person. You came on IW calling people idiots, stupid, zero skills, ect. I have not seen anything positive that YOU have contributed to IW.

Stay off of my threads.

Charles Perdue
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: OH SNAP :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Latest posts

Back