Rigger Builders Material

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey great Danny glad I could help. Yes $105 sounds like a bunch of money but the ply should go a long way and I'll bet you'll order more before the summer of 2005 is up. Going to place a large order after 1st of Jan. going to build 2 new riggers, Sport 20, Sport 40 & another scale, the "Hawaii Kai". I build boats all year round as I love to work with wood.

Bill, do you by any chance have any plans for those riggers that you'd like to share :huh: ?

I've been wanting to build a large 11cc rigger or a gas powered rigger. I was thinking about buying a Dumas Hawk 7.5 and scaling up the parts. I spoke with Gary P. and he said that it should work. However, after shelling out 105 bucks for a bunch of wood, I don't think that I'll be able to spend another 100 on a Hawk kit :( .

I'm also having trouble tonight opening up the plans that "Chilly" from www.rcboatmodeler.com sent me. I'm dead in the water (with a bunch of wood on the way) at the moment :( .

Danny, I have those plans as an Illustrator file, 2 versions, original size (about 120cm) that I am building or the larger plans I did for "chilly" (about 145cm). Do you want these? Open in Version 10.

Otherwise you can import the top projection into Coreldraw.

Hope this helps

Ian

Ian, I would love to have those plans. Chilly sent me a set of the mono plans but I've been having trouble getting a decent program off the internet to open up the DXF files. A couple of programs would open up the files but wouldn't let me print (that feature was deleted in the free trial version.) Another program was very user unfriendly-it had a big DEMO written across the page and it was very difficult to size up or down. Are you able to give me some advice here? I cant afford to spend $70 on a program to open this stuff up. I already spent too much on wood :lol: .

Chilly said that his boat is 57" long which is 145cm as you said. I'll build the 120cm version. My pieces of wood that I ordered will be 48" long or about 122cm long. Perfect :D !

Ian Webster said:
Danny, I have those plans as an Illustrator file, 2 versions, original size (about 120cm) that I am building or the larger plans I did for "chilly" (about 145cm). Do you want these? Open in Version 10.Otherwise you can import the top projection into Coreldraw.

Hope this helps

Ian

78232[/snapback]

Hi Ian,

I want ask:

Do you have some plans on rigger?

I have interest. May I get more detailed information?

Thank you very much.

In advance thank you for answered.

Martin KAPL, Czech republic

[email protected]

Ian Webster said:
Danny, YGM
Martin, sorry no other plans.

Ian

78293[/snapback]

Ian, already hasn't plans on rigger? Have had interest - what are here represented on web.

Martin

Last edited by a moderator:
Martin, english and living in sweden I am used to trying to understand unusual forms of English. Even with this extensive training I am sorry I can make no sense of your reply! Are you using a web translator?

Do you want the plans for the Deep-V? Send me a PM or e-mail.

Ian

Ian Webster said:
Martin, english and living in sweden I am used to trying to understand unusual forms of English. Even with this extensive training I am sorry I can make no sense of your reply! Are you using a web translator?Do you want the plans for the Deep-V? Send me a PM or e-mail.

Ian

78304[/snapback]

Thanks. I sent to you email.

Martin

Ian, thanks for helping me :) . My daughter is more computer savvy than I am and she told me that her computer is .ai and .eps capable. She has a version of Microsoft Paint Pro, I think, and it can deal with these types of files!

Earlier, before I got your e-mail, I got a response on another forum from Chilly. He said the same thing that you did: take the files to a professional place and they should be able to open them up and print them out full size. Hopefully it won't cost me much but I know how things like that can go :eek: !

Yesterday, I picked up a brand new Craftsman variable speed, laser, scrolling, orbital jig saw! And for those of us who enjoy buying what few consumer products are made in USA, it was the absolute last one they had that said "assembled in USA" (of domestic and imported components.) This was actually the display model and I talked the tool manager into selling me this one. All the others were "made in Mexico." Much better than "made in China" in my opinion!

I'm sure this saw is going to come in real handy to cut up my $105 worth of wood :D :D !

My supply of Okoume ply (4 sheets of 1/16" 4'X2' and 4 sheets of 1/8" 4'X2') arrived about 2 hours ago. I've discovered some things about it that aren't making me very happy :angry: .

First, the 1/8" thick stuff pretty much weighs the same as Dumas' 1/8" mahagony ply that they like to use for their crossribs. The Okoume appears to be stronger but I really don't know. I pulled out about 10 pieces of Dumas 1/8" mahagony ply and did some math adding the square inches up to equal a 48"X24" piece of my Okoume. They were within 3 oz according to my kitchen scale. Not super accurate but close enough. So much for the "lighter wood" :angry: .

On rcboatmodler.com, I was advised to replace the Dumas 1/8"mahagony ply ribs with 1/16" aircraft ply. I thought that this 1/16" Okoume would be a great substitute. Wrong. Its very flimsy and flexible. I don't think that its going to be stiff enough to be used as crossribs. I can use it to sheet decks and maybe sides of boats (or even the bottoms of smaller boats) but I think that if I use it for ribs, the boat won't be very stiff and will probably twist easily. On a positive note, when I weighed the Dumas 1/16" aircraft ply vs a like amout of Okoume ply, the Okoume was lighter. I forgot the numbers but I think that it was about 15% lighter. It all helps.

After spending so much time thinking about buying wood, I feel that I spent too much money buying too much wood that won't work for what I want it for. I'm still going to have to buy yet more wood (1/16" aircraft ply) to do what I need to do to lighten up my 1/8 scale Dumas Miller American :angry: .

dannyual767 said:
My supply of Okoume ply (4 sheets of 1/16" 4'X2' and 4 sheets of 1/8" 4'X2') arrived about 2 hours ago.  I've discovered some things about it that aren't making me very happy  :angry: .
First, the 1/8" thick stuff pretty much weighs the same as Dumas' 1/8" mahagony ply that they like to use for their crossribs.  The Okoume appears to be stronger but I really don't know.  I pulled out about 10 pieces of Dumas 1/8" mahagony ply and did some math adding the square inches up to equal a 48"X24" piece of my Okoume.  They were within 3 oz according to my kitchen scale.  Not super accurate but close enough.  So much for the "lighter wood"  :angry: .

On rcboatmodler.com, I was advised to replace the Dumas 1/8"mahagony ply ribs with 1/16" aircraft ply.  I thought that this 1/16" Okoume would be a great substitute.  Wrong.  Its very flimsy and flexible.  I don't think that its going to be stiff enough to be used as crossribs.  I can use it to sheet decks and maybe sides of boats (or even the bottoms of smaller boats) but I think that if I use it for ribs, the boat won't be very stiff and will probably twist easily.  On a positive note, when I weighed the Dumas 1/16" aircraft ply vs a like amout of Okoume ply, the Okoume was lighter.  I forgot the numbers but I think that it was about 15% lighter.  It all helps.

After spending so much time thinking about buying wood, I feel that I spent too much money buying too much wood that won't work for what I want it for.  I'm still going to have to buy yet more wood (1/16" aircraft ply) to do what I need to do to lighten up my 1/8 scale Dumas Miller American  :angry: .

79062[/snapback]

Danny, you think the OKoume is flimsy and flexible? It will not be. the minute you seal the wood, the ply will be very strong and stiff. If you would of used 1/16 air ply, that stuff is $hit. It cracks and briddles and you might as well use the 1/8 mahaogny witch would of been much heavier. I have a piece of Okoume that i built a coyote with 20 years ago. That boat went through everything in its path :lol: (bad driving) :rolleyes: and nothing ever broke. The peice that is left over other than being a little dry, is still strong and flexible and i used it in many of my new boats today. Give that stuff a try, you be happy with the results. Nick

Give that stuff a try, you be happy with the results.
Nick, thanks for the information. It makes me think that maybe it will work for me. My sheets of 1/16" Okoume are very flexible. Very! You're right, the 1/16" aircraft ply is more brittle and I would believe that it would crack before the Okoume would.

I've been thinking that I'd go ahead and try and use it for the ribs anyway. Like you said, it should stiffen up once I seal it. These Okoume ribs will weigh less than half of what the Dumas 1/8" mahagony ply ribs weigh and thats before I cut any lightening holes in them (although I'm a little hesitant to cut those holes in this flimsy wood :huh: .)

Danny,

The 1/16" Okoume ply is in fact going to save you weight and will be stiff enough for your 1/8th scale Miller American. I have built several boats using 1/16th aircraft ply from Newton plans and they all use 1/16 ply for formers, once you put in the spruce stingers everything stiffens up and becomes more rigid as a complete structure. Using the 1/16 & 1/8 Okoume ply should save you approximately 18 to 25 percent of the overall weight of the bare hull. Don't go wild with the epoxy on your joints during construction and when sealing the boat and you will come out with a light hull. Once upon a time you could get a product called "Stuff" filler & sealer, those two products were absolutely awsome when filling gaps and sealing wood. After one coat of sealer and light sanding the wood would be a slick as a baby's butt. Unfortunately these products disappered from the market several years ago, wished I could still get them.

One more thing Danny, when you cut your wood for the ribs, cut it against the grain and that will even give you extra strength. Nick

The 1/16" Okoume ply is in fact going to save you weight and will be stiff enough for your 1/8th scale Miller American. I have built several boats using 1/16th aircraft ply from Newton plans and they all use 1/16 ply for formers, once you put in the spruce stingers everything stiffens up and becomes more rigid as a complete structure.
Bill,

When I compared the 1/16" Okoume to the 1/16" aircraft ply from the Dumas kit, I was amazed at how flexible the Okoume was :eek: ! The aircraft ply is really stiff and the Okoume is like a wet noodle. Like Nick said earlier though, hopefully the sealer will help to stiffen it all up. I know the other assorted wood pieces will tie it all together and stiffen the complete structure. So will the final outer skin for that matter. Did I mention how flexible that 1/16" Okoume is :unsure: !?!

The sealer that I've been using recently is from www.epoxyproducts.com and it is a low viscosity epoxy called Low V. I've used it to seal the inside of my two recent hulls. It seems to work well and I've taken forum advice and I use a paper towel to remove the excess. When I'm ready to seal the outside prior to paint, I'll use two coats with a light sanding between coats. I think that its going to come out real smooth with minimal weight gain.

Danny,

Something else you probaby haven't taken into consideration is that the okoume ply is water proof, the 1/8 "door skin" plywood that Dumas uses is not, it is exterior grade but will seperate if it stays wet without a really good seal coat.

I should have gotten my okoume ply order on Thursday but as of yet Fed-Ex hasn't been able to locate it. It got lost after it was loaded on a truck in Memphis headed for New Orleans. Still waiting to hear from them on the tracer.

HAPPY NEW YEARS TO ALL :D :D :D :D :D

Just got in from shooting off a bunch of fireworks. Happy New Year :D !

Hopefully your Okoume will surface on Monday.

I'm still thinking that I'll give the 1/16" stuff a try as ribs. Bill, when you order comes in, let me know if your 1/16" Okoume is real flexible and flimsy. Mine really is.

Danny,

Did some digging around on full size boat building sites and found that Okoume ply is designed to be flexable as they use it for double diagonal planking. Hulls like the old "barrel back" Chris-Craft hulls and a lot of "round bilge" hulls like you see in some of the old steam pleasure craft of years gone by. I bought a piece of 1/16 Baltic ply a couple of years ago in a 5' x 5' sheet and thought it was very flexable as well, untill I used it for sheeting the deck of my scale boats with it, worked out great.

The 1/16th should work fine for the bulkheads, however if you want to wait till I get mine in to see what it looks like don't cut any up just yet.

Yeah, Bill, I won't be cutting out any ribs for a while. Please let me know what you think about the stiffness (or lack thereof!) of your 1/16" Okoume. Unless I got some bogus wood, I think that you're going to see that it is very, very flexible. Should work great for sheeting decks of large and small boats as well as the sides of smaller boats (maybe larger ones as well.)

I'll have to decide if I really want to give this flexible wood a try as ribs :unsure: .

Back