Rigger Builders Material

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

missbudpilot55

Hi Guys,

Done some reseach and have found a list of suppliers for those wanting to use

Okoume Plywood for thier winter projects;

(1) www.boulterplywood.com suppliers of 1/16, 1/8, 5/32

& 1/4" in full, half or quarter sheets shipping rates seem to be very reasonable

(2) www.edensaw.com suppliers of 1/16th and up in full

sheet orders only but will cut @ $8.50 per sheet for shipping to your required

sizes down to ' x 4" pcs.

(3)www.sirius-aviation.com

Any more would be greatly aprreciated, I have found the above companies very receptive to my requests.

FOR THOSE THAT LIKE ALUMINUM FOR BOOMS

(a) Tubing for booms 3/8 .058 wall (.21); 1/2 & 5/8 .058 wall 6061T6 Aluminum

available in 6' or 12' lengths, very reasonable. .058 wall makes all these

telescope inside each other.

www.aircraftspruce.com

Bill Diedrich

Ventress, LA

Last edited by a moderator:
missbudpilot55 said:
Hi Guys,Done some reseach and have found a list of suppliers for those wanting to use

Okoume Plywood for thier winter projects;

(1) www.boulterplywood.com suppliers of 1/16, 1/8, 5/32

& 1/4" in full, half or quarter sheets  shipping rates seem to be very reasonable

(2) www.edensaw.com suppliers of 1/16th and up in full

sheet orders only but will cut @ $8.50 per sheet for shipping to your required

sizes down to ' x 4" pcs.

(3)www.sirius-aviastion.com  suppliers of 1/8, 5/32 & 1/4

in full, half or quarter sheet sizes.

Any more would be greatly aprreciated, I have found the above companies very receptive to my requests.

FOR THOSE THAT LIKE ALUMINUM FOR BOOMS

(a)  Tubing for booms  3/8 .058 wall (.21); 1/2 & 5/8 .058 wall 6061T6 Aluminum

available in 6' or 12' lengths, very reasonable.  .058 wall makes all these

telescope inside each other.

www.aircraftspruce.com

Bill Diedrich

Ventress, LA

75521[/snapback]

Bill,

I think that the Sirius web address is wrong. www.Sirius-Aviation.com is correct. Spelling maybe?

Wow heres a newbie guestion. What is Okoume wood? What properties does it have in comparison to balsa, lite ply, and other woods? :blink: Don't laugh to hard, I've just never heard of the stuff. ^_^

myrcbud said:
Wow heres a newbie guestion. What is Okoume wood? What properties does it have in comparison to balsa, lite ply, and other woods? :blink:   Don't laugh to hard, I've just never heard of the stuff. ^_^
75547[/snapback]

My rcbud, have you ever seem an SG Eagle from CMD Racing? have a look at one up close next time you see one or if you know someone that has just gotten one ask him how much it weighs. Okoume plywood is a light weight, high strength marine plywood used in full size boat building, mainly for double diagonal planking of rounded bottom hulls. It is also laminated with a waterproof glue between all layers of the ply. Check this out:

http://www.edensaw.com/f_marine.htm

click on Okoume 1088 ply and read all about this stuff.

Bill Diedrich

UPDATE: I e-mailed Sirius Aviation 3 days ago and they haven't returned my e-mail as of yet, don't know if they are interested in having me as a customer.

I tried calling Sirius yesterday and it said the number was temporarily out of service :unsure: .

Any ideas on shipping prices from these companies? I'm thinking it could add a lot to the price of the wood. I'm really interested in trying some okoume.

Danny,

The only shipping rates I have found were on the Boulter Plywood site, they were giving an estimate on full sheets ie a 50# package no longer than 108" and a total girth of no more than 103" from Boston to Baton Rouge FedEx Ground for

approx $22 plus $25 packaging & handling. seems like a lot but that is very inexpensive for that size of package. I'm Sure that the charges would be a lot less for say 18" x 4' or 12" x 4' pcs. I will e-mail them and ask for more particulars and post them when available. I have found that when you contact one of these firms that if you tell them it is for you hobby, ie racing boats, the majority are more than willing to help even the little guys like us.

What I may do after the first of next year is buy a quanity of this type of ply and offer it for sale in smaller qantites for those that don't need or want full or half sheets.

I am also planing on building my "HAWAII KAI" entirely out of Okoume 1/16" ply with the only 1/4" being the transom & half bulkhead for the turn fin.

Bill Diedrich

Ventress, LA

TimD said:
This is what happened before the switch to Okoume.
75592[/snapback]

This photo was exactly what happened to John Brown himself in 2001. His 45 Eagle broke in Atlanta in Sep 2001 an his 67 Eagle broke in Charleston's race in Oct 2001. Both as a result of hard stuffs only and snapped at the same place. His 45 snapped entirely and cleanly at the engine/radio box bulkhead. CMD started going to Okoume after that time. It will lessen the chance of a hull split but will not always prevent it. Stuff it just the right way and it will give way.

OK GUYS,

Boulter Plywoods returned my inquiry with a prompt phone call.

here's what I ask them to quote me on Okoume Marine Ply:

2 sheets 1/4" (5 ply) 2' x 4' = $42.00

2 sheets 1/16"(3 ply) 2' x 4' = 30.00

1 sheet 1/8" (3 ply) 2' x 4' = 15.00

estimated shipping

FedEx Ground

to Baton Rouge = $25.00

The 1/4" is to BS1088 specs and the other two are to BS6566 specs

I think that is very reasonalbe takes about 5 working days to arrive from the Boston Ma. area and equates out to 63 cents per sq ft to ship.

Bill Diedrich

Ventress, LA. :) :) :)

[SIZE=14pt]UPDATE: SIRIUS AVIATION ACTUALLY RETURNED MY E-MAIL. TRIED CALLING THEM , MUST BE HAVING TECHNICALL DIFFICUTIES WITH LAND LINE[/SIZE]

At present Okoume ply in 1/8" on backorder

I just sent Sirius an e-mail. I noticed that they list all of their Okoume as BS1088 grade. I also noticed that they don't list any 1/16" (1.5mm.) missbudpilot55, you didn't ask for any 1/16" from Boulter Plywoods. Is 1/16" too thin?

I was thinking about using it to make the decks (skins, sheeting) over the ribs of a 1/8 scale hydro. What do you guys think? My Dumas kit uses 1/16" aircraft ply. I know the Dumas kit is way heavy and I know I can save some serious weight with better wood.

dannyual767 said:
I just sent Sirius an e-mail.  I noticed that they list all of their Okoume as  BS1088 grade.  I also noticed that they don't list any 1/16" (1.5mm.)  missbudpilot55, you didn't ask for any 1/16" from Boulter Plywoods.  Is 1/16" too thin? 
I was thinking about using it to make the decks (skins, sheeting) over the ribs of a 1/8 scale hydro.  What do you guys think?  My Dumas kit uses 1/16" aircraft ply.  I know the Dumas kit is way heavy and I know I can save some serious weight with better wood.

75757[/snapback]

Danny,

Look at the post on the pricing again and you will see that I did list 1/16" Okoume, item #2 @ $30 for 2 pcs 2' x 4'. Sirius Aviation doesn't offer 1/16th ply and their 1/8 is on back order.

Yes I do think it would be great for decking on a 1/8th scale boat. I am going to try it on my Roger Newton designed Hawaii Kai I am in the process of building the jig for, I intend to build it solely from "Okoume Plywood".

Danny have you ever looked at a set of Roger's 1/8th scale contstruction plans?

You will see he has drawn holes to "lighten" all of the bulkheads. I cut these out with a "Forstner Drill Bit", these are availalble @ the Home Depot, a full set from

1/4" to 2 1/8", for around $40, they are graduated in 1/8" increments. Before you build the dumas kit drill a few holes in the formers to loose a little of the weight from them. Believe me, you won't loose any of the structural strength either, just may be a pound or more in weight and it also looks real cool and professional looking.

Bill Diedrich

Ventress, LA

I was just grasping at straws to save some money. It looks like Sirius prices are a little lower and it looks like all of their okoume is of the higher grade. Boulter Plywood shipping charges add quite a bit to the total as well. Maybe Sirius will be less. I asked them via email if they could get some 1/16" stuff. I'm not counting on it but who knows.

You will see he has drawn holes to "lighten" all of the bulkheads. I cut these out with a "Forstner Drill Bit", these are availalble @ the Home Depot, a full set from 1/4" to 2 1/8", for around $40, they are graduated in 1/8" increments. Before you build the dumas kit drill a few holes in the formers to loose a little of the weight from them.
I'll definitely cut the holes. It looks like a good, quick way to save some weight. I'm not familiar with those bits. I used a hole saw when I cut some lightening holes out of some parts on my Lil Rascal. I've only got a couple of sizes and I'd like to have a better way to do things.

Yesterday, I got my e-mail autoreturned due to Sirius' e-mail address being no good :unsure: . missbudpilot55, you got them to respond to your e-mail. I'm confused!

[SIZE=14pt]The correct e-mail address for them is "[email protected]"[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]Danny, go to bolterplywoods.comand fill out the "request a quotation" fill it out telling them exactly what you want as far as sizes and they will call you back the same day. I found they are very interested in even us little guys.[/SIZE]

Bill D.

I just got off the phone after making an order with Chris from Boulter Plywood. I ordered a 4x8 sheet of both 1/16" and 1/8" okoume plywood. I'm having each sheet cut down to 2x4. You get two cuts per sheet free and each additional cut is $1. To get my sheets down to 2x4 it will cost me $2 extra (one additonal cut per sheet.) With these small sizes, shipping to me is $15. My total order is $105.

Quite a bit of money for a bunch of wood but I've got uses for it already! I've got a set of plans for a nice, big, cool looking mono from a boater in Sweden already downloaded to my computer! Not only that, but my Dumas 1/8 scale Miller American is screaming to lose some weight and be built :D !

Back