Replacing or adjusting diameter of stuffing tube, MVD, Speedmaster strut.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug Brumfield

I have a miss vegas deuce that I am doing some upgrades to, and I have a question that is likely most appropriate here. I bought a speedmaster 3/16ths strut and rudder.. the strut almost, but not quite fits the original stuffing tube on the boat.. the diameter of the tube is ever so slightly larger than 3/16ths.. I have some new tubing here (K&S) and it fits tight too, but not so tight that I couldn't push the strut over it..

I have started to sand the outside of the MVD stuffing tube, I can now get the strut to start to go on, but Im not quite there.. and I notice I'll have to sand further than the shoulder, so its going to be somewhat slow going..

Is this the right course of action?

I thought about replacing the stuffing tube entirely with the stuff I have here, what is the best way to remove it without traumatizing my hull? I have a heat gun, and I was planning on heating the strut a bit before I finally slide it over the stuffing tube, can I heat the tube itself enough to free it from the epoxy without getting it so hot as it damages the hull itself?

I googled and searched this subject and couldn't really find an answer.. just curious if anyone has had the same situation and how it was resolved.

Thanks

Disregard, I ended up sanding the shaft while watching TV, strut fits fine now, Im still curious if anyone has any tricks for replacing a stuffing tube.. enquiring minds and all.

Latest posts

Back